Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker Question/Tips & Tricks Thread

Pathfinder: Kingmaker
C&C is really good in this game. I dealt with the troll problem very quickly in my 2nd playthrough and found out that:

the mage in the lone house don't even get attacked by trolls - which means he doesn't ask my party to fetch his whip but he's not in a risk of dying (i.e. losing potential advisor)

It could also be related to:
How you dealt with the captive troll. I always imagined it was directly related to that, as it's Dimwit or whatever he's called attacking him alongside two other trolls.

I've seen it quite often but what is C&C ?

Choices & Consequences...unless you are talking about the game Command & Conquer.

Not sure if anyone said this, but invest in perception. I'm getting annoyed that my party is failing to make the check for traps/hidden areas after a reload lol.

C&C is really good in this game. I dealt with the troll problem very quickly in my 2nd playthrough and found out that:

the mage in the lone house don't even get attacked by trolls - which means he doesn't ask my party to fetch his whip but he's not in a risk of dying (i.e. losing potential advisor)

I'm still waiting on another hotfix… I can't progress with my 1st playthrough because one of my advisor just vanished from my kingdom =.=

Weird, I haven't been hit with any bugs like this yet. I finished Chapter 2 and
the mage after I visited again was packing his bags because I stopped his experiment earlier. If I would have promised I'd never interfere with his projects again, he'd probably stay, but I didn't and went to leave. He grumbled something and Octavia got pissed and started arguing with him. Well he went to attack Octavia and we had to kill him :D.

Crazy how many C&C things can happen in the game. Lots of different outcomes.

How you dealt with the captive troll. I always imagined it was directly related to that, as it's Dimwit or whatever he's called attacking him alongside two other trolls.

Not sure, because if you force him to kill Dimwit, there'll still be a troll attack. I mean, with all the trolls around his hideout, they probably know where/what he is doing to their folks. ;)

Not sure, because if you force him to kill Dimwit, there'll still be a troll attack. I mean, with all the trolls around his hideout, they probably know where/what he is doing to their folks. ;)

I forced him to release Dimwit and completed the troll invasion before he got attacked. Thus, he was mad and packing his bags to leave the area, and he ended up attacking unless I took the neutral option of :"I regret what I've made you do. I promise to never interfere with your projects again if you stay.", which I didn't take and he attacked Octavia.

Weird, right?

Holy crap, you are progressing fast, Maylander!!

I don't think it's related though:

I told the mage to release Dimwit, but because I dealt with troll problem very quick this time, no one attacked the mage. This time I asked the mage to stay by telling him I won't interfere with his work.

In my first playthrough, I told mage to release Dimwit and when trolls went rampant (I was a bit slow in dealing with trolls) Dimwit was one of 3 trolls trying to kill the Mage. Kinda satisfying seeing this mage all bashed up lol. He told me trolls took his whip and asked me to fetch it back for him.

So definitely quite detailed C&C

Holy crap, you are progressing fast, Maylander!!

I don't think it's related though:

I told the mage to release Dimwit, but because I dealt with troll problem very quick this time, no one attacked the mage. This time I asked the mage to stay by telling him I won't interfere with his work.

In my first playthrough, I told mage to release Dimwit and when trolls went rampant (I was a bit slow in dealing with trolls) Dimwit was one of 3 trolls trying to kill the Mage. Kinda satisfying seeing this mage all bashed up lol. He told me trolls took his whip and asked me to fetch it back for him.

So definitely quite detailed C&C

That's funny, because in my first game:
The mage died by the trolls, and in his dying words said "they even took my whip...ugh...*dead*".

So yeah, definitely some detailed C&C going on.

That's funny, because in my first game:
The mage died by the trolls, and in his dying words said "they even took my whip…ugh…*dead*".

So yeah, definitely some detailed C&C going on.

Hmmm just wondering:

Was the mage dead already by the time you got there? Or were 3 trolls in the process of beating him up to death? When i got there, trolls were beating the mage up good, I had to kill trolls in time to save him. He in fact died in my first try, I had to reload and get trolls down quickly in order to save him.

Hmmm just wondering:

Was the mage dead already by the time you got there? Or were 3 trolls in the process of beating him up to death? When i got there, trolls were beating the mage up good, I had to kill trolls in time to save him. He in fact died in my first try, I had to reload and get trolls down quickly in order to save him.

The trolls were beating him up, but I had to deal with Dimwit who was pretty tough for my team and I didn't get to him in time, so he died. His dying words were that they took his whip and upon returning later his body was gone and just blood smears were there.

Oh I see. Well, I'm enjoying my second playthrough more than the first one actually. Now I know what to watch out for, I feel more relaxed and started to explore more contents. I just realised there are a lot more romance dialogues too - these weren't triggering in my first playthrough cause of bugs.

Shame that I had to stop my first playthrough because of the bug, but maybe the hotfix I'm downloading now will fix that (I need Kassil back!!!!)

Anyway, back to Kingmaker :D

Btw, there are a lot of puzzles in this game too, and some of them reward you with pretty awesome gears. I'm loving the plate armor I found in the troll lair.

Oh I see. Well, I'm enjoying my second playthrough more than the first one actually. Now I know what to watch out for, I feel more relaxed and started to explore more contents. I just realised there are a lot more romance dialogues too - these weren't triggering in my first playthrough cause of bugs.

Shame that I had to stop my first playthrough because of the bug, but maybe the hotfix I'm downloading now will fix that (I need Kassil back!!!!)

Anyway, back to Kingmaker :D

Btw, there are a lot of puzzles in this game too, and some of them reward you with pretty awesome gears. I'm loving the plate armor I found in the troll lair.

Yeah, that plate armor is fantastic, but I have no one who can wear it. :( That puzzle stumped me my first run, lol. But if you
ally with the kobolds, there is a kobold merchant outside who will sell you everything you missed in the ruin
. I wanted to do Harrim's quest this time so I didn't go that route.

I haven't had any romance dialogues yet with Octavia :(. But I also was being dumb and resting on the overworld map, so I'm starting to always rest in the area maps now. Hopefully they will trigger soon.

Yeah, I have noone that can wear it either. It's safely stored in my chest in case I create/hire a Paladin or Crusader. That being said, stats don't stack, and it's certainly not hard to get +2 items for people who need them.

Question on interaction with Barbarian witches/sisters

Spoilers ahead…
So…I rescued ALL of them and then they turned on me? Why? One was already dead when I found her…did I do something wrong or is this just scripted? I had to kill the whole barbarian camp, it was a tough fight too and only won by dying first an then "metagaming" i.e. prep'ing before i triggered the cutscene…I had no reason to suspect they would all turn on me, and so dramatically.Seems a bit contrived. I have *very* high diplomacy and the chief despised the witches, but immediately believed them - I was given no dialogue option to convince him. All my intercations with his group had been helpful up until that point

Spoilers ahead…
So…I rescued ALL of them and then they turned on me? Why? One was already dead when I found her…did I do something wrong or is this just scripted? I had to kill the whole barbarian camp, it was a tough fight too and only won by dying first an then "metagaming" i.e. prep'ing before i triggered the cutscene…I had no reason to suspect they would all turn on me, and so dramatically.Seems a bit contrived. I have *very* high diplomacy and the chief despised the witches, but immediately believed them - I was given no dialogue option to convince him. All my intercations with his group had been helpful up until that point

It depends on how you dealt with 2 previous encounter with barbarians. I was given an option to persuade one of the barbarian guy and his few followers didn't turn on me. But I don't think you can get away without fighting.

As for sisters, there are 4 of them. You will always fight the one who sent you to find her 3 other sisters. One of the sisters will always be found dead. You can rescue the other two. One of them will always turn on you, the other one can be persuaded where you found her, not back at the camp.

So I ended up fighting 2 sisters and most of (but not all) barbarians

Last edited:
re the sisters:

With regards to the sisters (and to some extent the barbarian's, too): You are not meant to be able to stay on good terms with all of them. The reasons for that should become clear pretty soon, when continuing the main story.

A few tips for early game:
- Color spray is an amazing disabler, which works well until end of chapter one, including the final battle. It requires some careful positioning, though.
- Daze can get even a wimpy wizard/bard/sorcerer trio through the prologue. ;)
- Stinking cloud is a great spell against wisps, knock them right out, even the named 'bosses'.
- Multiclassing Linzi with just one level of serpentine sorcerer seems to affect also her bard spells (grants them the bloodline ability), though I'm not sure if this is intended. It doesmake her enchantments pack a atronger punch. Haven't yet tested whether multiclassing with a fey sorcerer would give her bard spells the dc bonus to compulsions.

Question do I need to go back and get rations?

...I've entered the Valley of the Dead (?) - and my party is already a bit battered after several encounters...I'll need to sleep/camp soon to get back abilities…or is it short enough that can I push through? I have 0 rations, and I don’t think I can leave the dungeon to hunt (the raven hinted as much)…Do I have reload an earlier saved game to return to my capital (1 week away!) and get N days of rations and then come back and redo everything…? Or will I find rations in the dungeon? PoE would leave camping supplies here and there....

I have no clue if the area is short or long as I haven't played the game but taking a nap always seems like a solution to life's problems.

…I've entered the Valley of the Dead (?) - and my party is already a bit battered after several encounters…I'll need to sleep/camp soon to get back abilities…or is it short enough that can I push through? I have 0 rations, and I don’t think I can leave the dungeon to hunt (the raven hinted as much)…Do I have reload an earlier saved game to return to my capital (1 week away!) and get N days of rations and then come back and redo everything…? Or will I find rations in the dungeon? PoE would leave camping supplies here and there….

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom