Fallout Shelter - Releasing this Thursday

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
@GamePressure Fallout Shelter is due for release this Thursday for PC with the 1.6 update, which promises new locations, enemies and quest system.

The 1.6 update is promised to offer new places to explore and enemies to fight. You will be able to assemble a group of vault dwellers to raid dangerous locations and fight bosses for you or send them on quests in order to get some precious rewards. Another much-anticipated feature is the brand new combat system that will allow you to directly control your characters during the battles.
More information.

I've been playing this for like a year on IOS

Fun for the post-nuke ant farm it is, but I've definitely hit a ceiling w/ a vault of pretty much maxed dwellers, all crafting items unlocked, and 999,999 caps. It's on auto-pilot now. Good thing about the game, is it's not paywall-locked.

Theyve been good about adding new cosmetic type things, but a real content update is sorely needed. Even deathclaws dont make it past my second room, and the random molerats / raiders/ roaches arent even a minor threat

And here's to hoping they fix the damn stim pak interface/mechanic already

Let's see, do I want wait one more day to play a mod of an actual PC game, or some crappy F2P phone game port made by Bethesda? Hmmm....

Again - do not buy this especially if you're playing it on the phone already.
If you want to play phonegames on PC, install freeware android emulator: Bluestacks.
Everything works in it, the only problem is a rare software that uses doubletap (two fingers pressing the screen at different points at the same time, used in some rare phonegames for screen rotation) which cannot be emulated with a mouse but you need a touchscreen display.

Again - do not buy this

According to people who looked into this on the bethesda forums, it'll be a free download. Well, as 'free' as the mobile versions were anyway. Not sure how they'll handle the pay-to-win lunch boxes - perhaps people will need to buy those through the bethesda website if they want them.

Free that isn't completely free and shouldn't IMO be called free.
I didn't say don't buy because potential price but because there is no reason to wait for PC versions of phonegames - those all work in Bluestacks which is Android emulator and unlike "free" phonegames this emulator is completely free, no paying for anything.

Anyway, for all nonbelievers, there is another Bluestacks entry which normally shouldn't work but if you hack GPS location in the emulator… And you can "mod" that on your PC, you get to play the recent mass hysteria phonegame:
http://www.pcgamer.com/pokemon-go-pc-guide/

Actually bluestacks is not free. It asked me to pay for it after I used it once.

A good replacement that is really free is HandyAndy but that one I think only works to simulate androids.

Was interested in this, but then I discovered pregnancy mechanics in this game to be super troubling. :p

I've played it a bit on IOS, and so far I'm liking the changes. I sure do wish that Bethesda would put a proper set of patch notes up already.

The questing system is a welcome change, basically raiding and scavenging mini-locations. Still - I may be a bit overpowered here, because I'm walking all over the quests w/ a pack of level 50 dwellers kitted out w/ crazy gear. There is a new targeting system, which is click timing for critical effects. Seems to work good

I was also invaded by giant scorpions and deathclaws twice (which dont seem to have changed in power), which were put down with ease. I do like that they seem to have improved the stimpak healing a bit - instead of hunting thru a room of scrambling people with overlapping health bars, dwellers in conflict will now display a stimpak over their head once they hit a low HP threshold, and clicking it applies the heal. While it's not perfect, it's certainly an improvement.

So far, I havent considered the game "pay to win", and this update does not change that. It's "pay for convenience". There is the addition of a new currency, the dreaded "pay to speed up" variety, which appears to be optional all the same. It can still be played entirely for free, but personally it hasnt killed me to buy a robot or two to help gather resources/fight invaders. In the year I've played the game, I've spent under ten bucks. For how much I've gotten out of it, i consider it well spent.

That said, I think veteran players may find this update bittersweet - while the significant changes are indeed welcome, if you have an existing vault of powerful dwellers w/ good weapons you may just find yourself a bit overpowered for the challenges the update presents.

Time to start a new Vault…..

Last edited:
For all those who still don't want android emulator…
Upper right, download:
https://bethesda.net/#en/dashboard

My comment:
smiley-rotfl.gif

Not on steam lel and another bullshit client to install just for this? no thanx

Back
Top Bottom