General News - New Exclusives for The Epic Games Store

My bet would be that in a few years, the streaming services will take over, and it will be rather like subscribing to Netflix, Amazon and HBO to get your games. Competition will be based heavily on exclusivity, in the way it is (and has always been) with TV shows.
Yea and PC gaming is dead for a decade now. :)

Yea and PC gaming is dead for a decade now. :)

I think there will always be some sort of PC gaming scene. It's the consoles that should be worried, and I suspect that's where the AAA market will go.

I kind of like the premise that this new Epic platform will just be the early access stage for great old games and Steam, when they get the products a year later they will be cleaner and likely with most if not all content. Talk about finding the positive in a situation, yay us!

By the end of the year we will have the first Google Stadia exclusives :)

I don't mind store exclusives that much. As long as I can buy it on the pc.

I can't blame them for wanting a slice of the pie. Valve has been pretty dominant and I can understand this move from the business perspective.

However as a consumer I'd rather have all games in place. Gog and steam have been enough for my gaming needs. I do have an orgins account and uplay, but imo those platforms kind of suck. So I'm not holding my breath for Epic platform either. It will probably be akward, buggy and laggy like every other gaming platform than gog or steam.

People are always saying "competition is good for the customer", but that's only true if it's competition based on merits. But let's face it, right now the most compelling (and some might say only) reason to buy at the Epic Store are the exclusive titles. The prices at Epic aren't lower, the client isn't better, and the company isn't more likable. Unless those factors change in the near future, all this new competition really does is to force some people to use a client they might not like and to fragment their library even further, without any benefit whatsoever for the customer.

Isn't Epic considered pretty despicable, even among game related businesses? I have been reading a lot of articles and it seems Epic has a really bad reputation. I mean if they were more like, say GoG, I would probably be more interested and less bothered. But I haven't really read any nice things from Epic so far.

Isn't Epic considered pretty despicable, even among game related businesses? I have been reading a lot of articles and it seems Epic has a really bad reputation. I mean if they were more like, say GoG, I would probably be more interested and less bothered. But I haven't really read any nice things from Epic so far.

On the contrary, I'm pretty sure most game related businesses are cool with the fact that Epic is giving developers a bigger cut.

There's definitely some negative hyperbole being built up by people who seem to dislike Epic for no other reason than that Epic getting exclusives is a minor inconvenience to them.

Well seem's Metro Exodus sold better on Epic than their last Metro game did on steam.
I am sure the exclusive payout was a hefty one on top of that sweet higher cut than from steam as well.

Steam answers by changing their UI, which I'd be surprised if it is actually seen as an improvement for users.

I suspect Epic will actually be competition in just a year or two if this keeps up.

Don't really know much about Epic as a company but their unreal engine sure have done allot for game creators from all economic walks of life.

Oh and I don't mind epic though I do mind the greedy bastards who sign exclusivity deals with Epic.

Back
Top Bottom