Risen Final battle - dying fast

Zloth

I smell a... wumpus!?
OK, I've seen two posts from people who found the final battle terribly easy, but I'm getting destroyed very quickly.

First off, I'm playing a mage and fireball is my main spell. Magic bullet is doing OK at level 6 or so. Now suddenly I'm stuck in this armor and I'm supposed to use this big axe!

If I try to rush in to the guy's platform and attack there, he just keeps foot stomping and I die. I can jump the foot stomps but, by the time I come back down to earth, he's ready to stomp again. Trying to take a heal potion spells instant doom.

Plugging away with fireballs against a fire titan sounds like a really terrible idea to me, but I doubt the bullets do much. Plus, with no shield, I can't bounce the titan's attacks. It doesn't take long before I fall into the lava or get beaten down by a ranged attack.

Also, the game doesn't seem to end right when I get defeated. It just stays there on the black screen popping hints up. Sometimes the UI vanishes but it comes back pretty quick.

This is straight out of Zelda. You can only hit him when he drops his head and sits still not attacking (which he will do randomly, it will be a definite break in his attacks) , and you can only hit him with the warhammer. The rest of the time you have to hop around and not die. I would save the game after you hit him, and just keep improving until you hit him the required 10 times. This has nothing to do with any of your character's skills, only your ability to play the platform jumping game.

Ooooohhh.... never played Zelda, but I am certainly hearing a ton of "whiffing" when I get up close and attack him. Thanks for the help - let's see if I can do the platform thing. (This sounds more like a Lara Croft thing to me. Patty, get in here and put this armor on...)

Yeah he just stops and waits for you to hit him occasionally, and that is his only vulnerability. I had a bunch of the best healing potions and I just focused on not letting the platform fall from underneath me (jumping off flashing runes). If I got hit I drank a potion, no big deal.

I didn't find this easy at all, and I didn't like it. I got lucky in that he did his "come and hit me" pose shortly after starting attacking for a stretch of 6 or 7 times in a row. Sometimes though he will just keep cycling through his attacks for a dozen times or more without letting you hit him.

Yep, my experience exactly. Worse yet, there's still no feedback when you hit him, beyond him standing up. I wasn't sure if I was getting a hit in or if I was a bit too late. Then, all of the sudden, the CGI kicks in and I've won. What??

Batman AA was a great game stunted by a pretty weak final battle but this one was one of the worst final battles ever. Suddenly I'm no longer the mage I worked so hard at becoming. The few melee moves I did learn were pointless. The mighty 4th Rune Seal amounted to exactly nothing. Heck, even that super high-tech occular just vanished and was replaced by my helmet as soon as I walked through the door. At least Fred got to follow along a little ways before he fell into the lava.

The final battle ranks in one of the worse of all time, along with the final stage of Far Cry (being #1 worst).

Agree this is pretty bad. He doesn't stop attacking himself, you need to reflect one of his attacks using the titan shield to stun him, then you can whack him (once per stunning).

The "drop his head" part is not random. Here's how it goes:

1. Dodge all his attacks, except his fireball attack (several small fireballs).
2. Block the small fireballs. This will send them flying back to him, and stun him. Now he drops his head and is stunned for a short duration.
3. Hit him once while he is stunned.

Rince and repeat. Just dodge, dodge, dodge, block the fireball attack, hit him while he's stunned.

Finally done, it, but now I suddenly feel sad, empty and deflated.. I still wanted to do stuff..

The ending came so abruptly, and yes - the final battle was more of a "puzzle" and a platformer than a 'fight' really.

The final boss battle in ROTA was also like this. Not quite as platformy, but also you had to deflect the guys' own attacks to make him fall. The final boss would hit you from a levitation vantage point.

Now I'm a bit disgruntled, because there were one or two quests I had not completely finished, not realizing the ending would come this quickly, and I thought I could still go back and do them. (Following up on Patty's final nautical map in particular; and the gold once found, having the opportunity to spend it. )

Fallout 3 also caught me like that- close to the MQ ending, you got sort of railroaded into the finale.

Last edited:
Following up on Patty's final nautical map in particular; and the gold once found, having the opportunity to spend it.

…….Eh?

I agree about the final battle though, it sucked a$$. PB games have never been known for great finales, but Risen was the worst by far. Still a very good game overall.

Well, Gothic 3 didn't even have a final battle, so I guess they both fall into the same category: "Lacking".

Re the Patty thing: well, in the end what Romanov actually wanted was that map that shows where Steelbeard had buried all his gold, right? I'd just thought it would be nice if one could use the map and find the gold yourself. I don't know if one could actually do this in the game, but at any rate, I didn't get around to even try.

I don't know if one could actually do this in the game, but at any rate, I didn't get around to even try.

No, you can't do anything with the map. In fact if you try to use the map it doesn't even bring up a map display. It's just an item with no use whatsoever. It's pretty lame really. They could have at least drawn a nice map or... maybe that would spoil too much in regards to the add-on? Considering the end I guess it is a possibility that Mr. Hero and Ms. Patty might decide to stick together and go treasure hunting in the add-on/sequel. Who knows?

Those two are pretty much the (major) loose ends though:

- Loose end #1: The other titans.
- Loose end #2: Your relationship to Patty and Steelbeard's treasure.

Fallout 3 also caught me like that- close to the MQ ending, you got sort of railroaded into the finale.
Hehehe, that one got me, too. Also got cut off before I was ready in one of The Witcher chapters.

I'm guessing hunting down the other titans will be the subject of follow-up games. I sure hope they do a lot better with the battles, though.

I'm guessing hunting down the other titans will be the subject of follow-up games. I sure hope they do a lot better with the battles, though.

Or just the end battle anyways, which was the only fight that I had any real issue with.

What I really hope they do though, is just make the chapters a bit more consistant. Also, let each path have it's own ending weapon\armor, instead of forcing you into a single choice regardless of what type of character you played.

For anyone else having trouble with the final battle and you are done with trial and error, just go to youtube and search risen final boss or some such. A bunch of videos make it clear what to do.

Back
Top Bottom