I want a new monitor

That's a good site, thanks for the link.

Ultrawide can be a tough decision. Anything under 29" is too small. But if you already have anything bigger than a 23" currently, then even a 29" is too small. But if you go to a 34" with the 2560x1080 resolution, then it doesn't look sharp enough, but if you go to 34" 3440x1440 then it looks amazing, but you can be paying close to a grand for a monitor, and even more for the hardware to run it. And when you get to 34" at that high of a resolution, you might as well go curved. First world problems.

You missed out another important first world issue, namely table size! 34" is a monster and you need large enough table to keep it. This is also factor for me now since I lost my study to my daughter as its her nursery! I am in small corner with a small desk. I think I can just about fit a 34" on the table but I will be too close to the monitor....

WoW, you make up your mind fast! I have been at it for month now but still none the wiser as to what to get :lol:

Patience is NOT my strongest trait :excited:

So, while impatiently awaiting my new monitor. Does anyone have suggestions for Calibration tools?
So far I've been using http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/ together with SmartControl and my own eyes. Although SmartControl is very simple it does a few things that I haven't been able to access though monitor menu and is much simpler than the monitor built in menu.
I've spent way too many hours getting what is at best decent setups, curious to see if you guys have any better suggestions.

@Nyx

I just sold my monitor and thinking of getting the same one as you. Any early verdict on yours pls?

@Nyx

I just sold my monitor and thinking of getting the same one as you. Any early verdict on yours pls?

You'll have to be even more patient than me! It won't arrive until another 2-4 weeks :bigcry:

You'll have to be even more patient than me! It won't arrive until another 2-4 weeks :bigcry:

Ah ic. I got impatient after all the talk of ultra wide in this thread! Are you not from UK? based on all your overclockers links here i assumed you are. Anyway if you are then amazon has it in stock and they seems to be cheaper than all other UK sellers.

Hard to find ultra wide in Norway for whatever reasons. So I ran to the UK to abuse your declining Pounds :D

Hard to find ultra wide in Norway for whatever reasons. So I ran to the UK to abuse your declining Pounds :D

Glad to hear someone is benefiting from Britexit!

I am going to check this monitor out in the local store and order it from amazon. It seems to be the decent monitor in terms of price performance.

Just one thing… That monitor if I read it right is capable of 75Hz display, but with it you get HDMI cable which operates on 60Hz.

It's irrelevant if you'll use the monitor only with phones and consoles, but if you'll play games on PC that go over 60FPS, grab DP2DP cable (a bit less than 10€) because monitor doesn't have DVI input.

DP = DisplayPort

Yeah I read it on the comments before buying. Gonna have to pick up a DP before it arrives since they wouldn't ship a god damned cable (a monitor we can ship, no problem..a cable? who do you think we are?).

Thanks for the heads-up.

That cable can be bought just about anywhere but if they don't want to ship it from UK to outside of UK because Brexit or whatever... Their loss. You'll just buy it at local store or something.

I'm officially the happiest girl on earth today. This monitor is just amazing :smitten:
The colors and blacks are great straight out of the box. A quick checkup on Lagom seems to indicate the sharpness is a bit too high but changing it doesn't seem to do much so I dunno how much that even matters. Every other test is perfect and I haven't even done any calibration at all.

So far had a quick look at Stellaris and Dark Souls 3, Stellaris looks amazing but DS3 doesn't seem to support full use of ultrawide unless I'm doing something wrong.

My first impression is very positive, the monitor seems to have great value for it's cheap cost. I'm super happy!

I'm officially the happiest girl on earth today. This monitor is just amazing :smitten:
The colors and blacks are great straight out of the box. A quick checkup on Lagom seems to indicate the sharpness is a bit too high but changing it doesn't seem to do much so I dunno how much that even matters. Every other test is perfect and I haven't even done any calibration at all.

So far had a quick look at Stellaris and Dark Souls 3, Stellaris looks amazing but DS3 doesn't seem to support full use of ultrawide unless I'm doing something wrong.

My first impression is very positive, the monitor seems to have great value for it's cheap cost. I'm super happy!

That's exellent news! Glad it's working great for you. I hope it continues to be easy on your eyes. I haven't tried Stellaris yet, but I can bet it looks great on an ultrawide. As for DS3, I don't think it supports it natively, but I believe some clever community people have created a hack to make it work:

DS3 Ultrawide HEX Edit via Reddit

One issue I've found is some slight ghosting when scrolling. Text and images hang around half a second or so after I scroll but hopefully this is just a temporary issue while the monitor is still new.

Ah good hear. I also ordered the same monitor and it should be arriving tomorrow.

If you make any calibration setting, please share as I am not very good with those stuff.

Ah good hear. I also ordered the same monitor and it should be arriving tomorrow.

If you make any calibration setting, please share as I am not very good with those stuff.

Assuming all factory settings are the same you honestly won't be needing to unless you're making a living from photo editing. Which is awesome cuz I've literally spent hours over days calibrating my old monitor to finally look good (I must have gotten a faulty Philips 273ELH cuz I bought it since it had very good user reviews and the factory settings were god awful and so damn hard to calibrate).

I always use this page for reference http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/
Although it hasn't been updated since 2008 I find it a very useful way to calibrate manually without having to pay for tools. Haven't found a better site, but I haven't really been looking either.

Windows 10, search (magnifying glass because you hopefully disabled spyware by the start button), type "calibrate" and you get step by step process.

Mine arrived this morning and I was bit disappointed by the height. I knew it will be short but I wasn't expecting this short! I think it will get some getting used to before I will be comfortable with the height. I am a programmer and it always nice to see lot of code on the screen without scrolling but these days I hardly do any programming at home so hopefully this shouldn't be a huge issue.

Then I fired up Witcher 3 and I was very happy again! The colours were absolutely brilliant and the extra screen space made all the difference. It was like watching movie in the cinema.

@Nyx thanks for the link and I will give it go later today.

Grats! I'm still grinning from ear to ear ^.^ I'd recommend turning down response time to medium or lower if needed, on high you'll have a lot of screen ghosting going on even in games.

Mine arrived this morning and I was bit disappointed by the height. I knew it will be short but I wasn't expecting this short! I think it will get some getting used to before I will be comfortable with the height. I am a programmer and it always nice to see lot of code on the screen without scrolling but these days I hardly do any programming at home so hopefully this shouldn't be a huge issue.

Then I fired up Witcher 3 and I was very happy again! The colours were absolutely brilliant and the extra screen space made all the difference. It was like watching movie in the cinema.

@Nyx thanks for the link and I will give it go later today.

I had the same problem with the height initially but i got used to it after a few weeks and don't even notice now.

If you you have the ability to mount your monitor on the wall with a swivel mount then you could rotate your monitor to portrait orientation. Think of the long list of code you could see then.:)

Back
Top Bottom