Kickstarter Games - SKALD: Against the Black Priory

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
A Kickstarter campaign for SKALD: Against the Black Priory is supposed to start next Monday:

SKALD: Against the Black Priory

SKALD: Against the Black Priory is a classic, turn-based RPG set in a dark and gritty fantasy universe - full of tragic heroes, violent deaths and eldritch horror.

Platforms: PC first with subsequent releases on other platforms.

Estimated release date: Summer 2020

Developer: Scape-IT

Twitter: @skaldRPG

Email: contact@skaldrpg.com

Inspired by legendary titles such as Ultima and the Gold Box series, and with the narrative ambition of a modern RPG, SKALD: Against the Black Priory is the developers love letter to classic roleplaying.

SKALD: Against the Black Priory will see players develop and lead a party of up to six characters as they explore the accursed Black Priory. The game is both challenging and immersive, with tactical combat, dynamic tree-based dialog and "choose-your-own-adventure" sequences.

SKALD: Against the Black Priory is coming to Kickstarter June 3rd and will release in the summer of 2020.
Thanks Xian!

More information.

Well, we shall see. I'll be there to check out the kick starter pitch, evoking such names as Ultima and Gold Box is enough to get me in the door.

I'm a little curious about the SAN stat. Does that imply the game will have horror elements?

10 hours and counting!

Hi everyone! SKALD dev here!

Awesome to see this post on RPGwatch.com as I count down the last 10 hours before I launch! The game launches Monday 3rd at approx. 11AM GMT / 5AM CST tomorrow and I can't wait!

Be sure to drop by and don't hesitate to get in touch on @SkaldRPG; (twitter) or via www.skaldRPG.com for any questions and comments!

I'll give a heads up here when we go live ;-)

AL
Scape-IT

D8F9-MUXkAAevOf.png

Have these people demonstrated any talent at making games or is it just a bunch of hollow words?

The devs were involved in different projects like Das Geisterschiff, Aeon of Sands, ...

That's a little too determinedly retro for me. I don't mind pixel art, and capturing some aspects of the old look and feel. But this really looks like something running in a C64 emulator, along with the restrictions like a tiny viewport and horrendous fonts. Doesn't really appeal to me to revive the unfortunate limitations of 64k.

Too old school for me, but looks like their Kickstarter is of to a good start, so there must still be an audience for this.

That looks like a unique mixture of styles and quite interesting so well spotted and thanks for posting HiddenX. I like the Ultima 4-5 nods especially. :)

I'm a C64 collector so naturally this appeals to me. Also, 64k limitations aren't unfortunate in the hands of creators who wish to restrict themselves and design to those limitations. There's a real admirable skillset and joy in doing that to a high level. Thus contrarily, sometimes having no limits carries burdens of its own.

Yeah backed this as well, I've been looking forward to it. I went in at a digital-only level - I really liked the look of the zip-lock and feelies but I've just moved house and can't quite justify it right now… I might cave in and upgrade my pledge before the end though!

Also, 64k limitations aren't unfortunate in the hands of creators who wish to restrict themselves and design to those limitations. There's a real admirable skillset and joy in doing that to a high level. Thus contrarily, sometimes having no limits carries burdens of its own.

Well, unfortunate from my point of view, which is all I can speak for. In that it might be a good RPG in terms of systems and story, but at this stage I do require some of the quality of life improvements we've had over the last thirty years.

This looks like the other C64 one that has never come out...

This looks like the other C64 one that has never come out…

Unknown Realm? Yeah I got burned by that one - sounds like those devs (stirring dragon) got into difficulty and it doesn't sound like we'll see the game sadly. Unknown Realm was a different proposition though - it was intended to actually play on a c64 using a cartridge, whereas Skald uses the c64 palette and asthetic but is a Unity based PC product.

Anyway, my resolve didn't last long - I upped my pledge to a big box...

Back
Top Bottom