Baldur's Gate 3 - Interview and Gameplay Info

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Is there info if it will have turn-based combat?

Don't think so. There was a question regarding the camera angle, which was also "we rather show". So pretty much the same answer as to RTwP/TB before.

There's a text article associated with this too. Not sure if it's a literal transcript of everything in the video or not (not sure I want to watch the whole 20 minutes…)

https://fextralife.com/baldurs-gate-3-interview-with-larian-and-wizards-of-the-coast/

Most interesting part in there for me was confirmation that it uses the same engine as the D:OS games, though obviously a new revision of it - as would be the case for any new game. Some people in some past threads had been saying it wasn't the same engine.

They still aren't talking about camera angle or combat system I guess?

I thought the engine was already common knowledge. I read an article earlier in the week that mentioned they were using v4.0 of their engine for this.

Iirc, Dragon Commander was the first game to use this engine. D:OS was v2.0, D:OS 2 was v3.0, and D:OS 2 Definitive Edition was v3.5

Larian is being very tight lipped so far. Kinda wondering what is the point of announcing the game if it is so early, and they don't want to answer even pretty basic questions. Like, it sounds like the game is maybe years away.

Larian is being very tight lipped so far. Kinda wondering what is the point of announcing the game if it is so early, and they don't want to answer even pretty basic questions. Like, it sounds like the game is maybe years away.
They seem to be saying 2020 is the most likely release date (although 2021 is possible). They've already been working on it for 2 years. Doesn't seem extraordinarily early, but also I bet there's a good chance Google Stadia either paid them to announce it at their event, or forced their hand via some contract they've got. Otherwise, there would have been much better venues.

Maybe if you include the pre-production planning it's been 2 years, but I don't think it's been under actual development for 2 years.

I'm not reading too much into the engine. It seems to be a pretty capable 3d engine, which could quite easily be used for very different types of games. I think all possibilities for the style of game BG3 will be are on the table.

I wonder if it could be more in the style of Dragon Knight Saga, which could be interesting. The higher the budget goes, the more I suspect it will look more like a mainstream game.

Camera wise, I'm happy with anything functional that allows rotating the angle of view and doesn't use sprites to hide half the scenario from the player.

I wonder if it could be more in the style of Dragon Knight Saga, which could be interesting. The higher the budget goes, the more I suspect it will look more like a mainstream game.

I can't imagine controlling an entire party in that style. They did confirm it's going to be party-based, right?

I shudder to think of the outrage from BG fans if it's anything like DKS.

I can't imagine controlling an entire party in that style. They did confirm it's going to be party-based, right?

I shudder to think of the outrage from BG fans if it's anything like DKS.

Pitchfork sales will explode....I really (*really*) want a D&D game in the spirit of BG1/2....

It's just from the scale of production, it sounds like a pretty big budget game. I'd just be surprised if they went with the fairly niche appeal of an isometric game, rather than something with a more mainstream look. I could imagine something in the ballpark of DA:I.

It's all total speculation, but I have this suspicion that it may not be quite what we expect.

I'm not reading too much into the engine. It seems to be a pretty capable 3d engine, which could quite easily be used for very different types of games. I think all possibilities for the style of game BG3 will be are on the table.

Eh, they didn't play well…can't believe I'm saying this, but I'd rather have even RtwP than action Rpg, here. Though it could've been Whats-it-called-bryo's fault.
Personally I'm hoping Larian goes all the way, and unleashes all the Belgian humor and the talking chickens into Forgotten Realms.
Reactions would be hilarious. :evilgrin:

I'm just comparing the fact that they say there's 300 people working on it, with the 400 reportedly working on Cyberpunk - that makes it sound like a pretty major operation. Of course, when they say 300 working on it, they could be counting everyone and their granny that has had a hand on it, to make it sound more impressive, and I might be comparing apples and oranges.

I'm just comparing the fact that they say there's 300 people working on it, with the 400 reportedly working on Cyberpunk - that makes it sound like a pretty major operation. Of course, when they say 300 working on it, they could be counting everyone and their granny that has had a hand on it, to make it sound more impressive, and I might be comparing apples and oranges.

That many people would seem to represents a pretty big gamble on their part. I wonder if they have some financial partners for insurance just in case it doesn't sell as well as they hope?

I would think, if it really is at that scale, they must have some serious investors involved.

EDIT: I guess one of the possibilities is Google money - that they might have pumped some cash into having some big Stadia games ready. As the first generation of Stadia is going to be essentially a console-like experience, that might also lean towards a style of game that is better suited to the ten-foot interface. But that's trying to connect a lot of dots.

Last edited:

Well they could be overestimating IP's potential/brand. DOS2 sold well, it looked the most modern, vibrant, interesting out of all the "renaissance crpgs"..but I doubt they have much higher commercial (success) ceiling. Closest is combat similar to Dragon Age ( with elemental exploding barrels). :)

Personally I'm hoping Larian goes all the way, and unleashes all the Belgian humor and the talking chickens into Forgotten Realms.
Reactions would be hilarious. :evilgrin:

The joke's on you sunshine! Melicamp anyone?

https://baldursgate.fandom.com/wiki/Melicamp_the_Chicken_(quest)

For me anything less than a six character party in this game would be a travesty but perhaps they will follow InXile's path in breaking with a series tradition, hence the delay in releasing the pertinent information. Personally, I certainly don't want to see a Dragon Age: Inquisition style game in perspective nor combat style.

Back
Top Bottom