Baldur's Gate 3 - Preview @RockPaperShotgun - Page 6 - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Baldur's Gate 3 - Preview @RockPaperShotgun

Default Baldur's Gate 3 - Preview @RockPaperShotgun

June 10th, 2019, 10:20
This reminds me on good old days when I couldn't wait for Septic Yogurt.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 148 Post(s)
+1:

June 11th, 2019, 21:43
Originally Posted by bjon045 View Post
Scaling was very significant in BG2 though. As an example, depending on the order you do quests you either fight a couple of skeleton warriors or a lich
Scaling the number of enemies is pretty minor, I wasn't aware of the lich though. Guess they nailed it since I never noticed. Dos2 scales all numbers JRPG-style, monster levels, loot. Well, pretty much everything. Obsidian got it right with both PoE games in my opinion. No loot scaling and optional encounter scaling, both up and down.

TomRon

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
+1:

June 11th, 2019, 23:16
Hrm…pretty sure DOS2 didn't scale much if at all…googled for it and only found a mod which enabled scaling, implicating that it's not in the game.
--
Doing >Let's Plays< and >Reviews< in German. Latest Review: Pathway
Mostly playing Indie titles, including Strategy, Tactics and Roleplaying-Games.
And here is a list of all games I ever played.

Kordanor

Wastelander
RPGWatch Donor

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)

June 12th, 2019, 01:35
Originally Posted by TomRon View Post
Scaling the number of enemies is pretty minor, I wasn't aware of the lich though. Guess they nailed it since I never noticed. Dos2 scales all numbers JRPG-style, monster levels, loot. Well, pretty much everything. Obsidian got it right with both PoE games in my opinion. No loot scaling and optional encounter scaling, both up and down.
Originally Posted by Kordanor View Post
Hrm…pretty sure DOS2 didn't scale much if at all…googled for it and only found a mod which enabled scaling, implicating that it's not in the game.
I never heard of any level-scaling in D:OS2 either, with the exception of the items in shopkeepers' inventories scaling with your level. I think that's all there is?

It's possible he meant the exponential-like scaling of numbers (damage etc) in the game as the level of items/skills increase, but that's a completely different issue from level-scaling.

Stingray

SasqWatch
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

June 12th, 2019, 01:38
So they're getting rid of spells per day and switching to…cooldowns?
That will go well with ( ye) ol' timers.
I don't mind it, rest is rarely well implemented.
--
Rush in and die, dogs…I was a man before I was a king.

BoboTheMighty

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)

June 12th, 2019, 03:07
Originally Posted by BoboTheMighty View Post
Sword Coast Legends part 2, here we come!

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)

June 12th, 2019, 03:55
That will go well with ( ye) ol' timers.
I don't mind it, rest is rarely well implemented.
Might as well be Dragon Age 2 if that's what they are going to do.

Silver

Spaceman
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)

June 12th, 2019, 04:17
Originally Posted by Silver View Post
Might as well be Dragon Age 2 if that's what they are going to do.
Aye, that'd be splendid.

How could Awesome button combat be even more awesome?

Add some exploding barrels.
--

BoboTheMighty

SasqWatch

+1:

June 12th, 2019, 12:27
How could Awesome button combat be even more awesome?

Add some exploding barrels.
No. Make it so players do not need to watch the screen when pressing the button aka TW3 style of combat.
--
Backlog:0

ChienAboyeur

SasqWatch

June 12th, 2019, 12:44
Originally Posted by ChienAboyeur View Post
No. Make it so players do not need to watch the screen when pressing the button aka TW3 style of combat.
Lol. Still butthurt? Get some help, man.
--

BoboTheMighty

SasqWatch

June 12th, 2019, 12:50
Originally Posted by Stingray View Post
I never heard of any level-scaling in D:OS2 either, with the exception of the items in shopkeepers' inventories scaling with your level. I think that's all there is?

It's possible he meant the exponential-like scaling of numbers (damage etc) in the game as the level of items/skills increase, but that's a completely different issue from level-scaling.
My bad, I must've remembered it wrong in regards to level scaling monsters. But you're absolutely right it's the exponential scaling of numbers and the loot scaling that actually annoyed me, so much that I jumped to the conclusion that enemies scaled as as well. I apologise.

TomRon

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

June 12th, 2019, 14:06
If they are doing 5e D&D, you have to have spell slots. It's one of the main features of 5e since so many classes can use spells early on.
--
"From knowledge springs Power, just as weakness stems from Ignorance."

Hastar

Unspeakable
RPGWatch Donor

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)

June 12th, 2019, 14:18
Yep, without spellslots I'd have a hard time calling it D&D.
--
We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
- George Bernard Shaw

Currently playing: Jedi: Fallen Order

Morrandir

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)

June 12th, 2019, 14:48
Originally Posted by Hastar View Post
If they are doing 5e D&D, you have to have spell slots. It's one of the main features of 5e since so many classes can use spells early on.
Eh? What blasphemy is this - no spell slots!? (I mean…did someone actually say they were using cooldowns, or is this speculation?). I hope they actually implement 5e….I quite enjoyed Sworc Coast Legends, but I don't want a 5e BG game to go that simplified route…Surely they saw the shitstorm SCL generated (from many, many bitterly disappointed D&D fans) and would not be foolish enough to do that.

booboo

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)

June 12th, 2019, 14:54
Originally Posted by booboo View Post
Eh? What blasphemy is this - no spell slots!? (I mean…did someone actually say they were using cooldowns, or is this speculation?). I hope they actually implement 5e….I quite enjoyed Sworc Coast Legends, but I don't want a 5e BG game to go that simplified route…Surely they saw the shitstorm SCL generated (from many, many bitterly disappointed D&D fans) and would not be foolish enough to do that.
In another interview they talk about how D&D guys learned something from Swen working on BG3 and how they might try something like that in future D&D test. Then the D&D guy says that they might try to modify how spell slots work or how it works without them. That would mean that Swen has changed something about how spell slots work in BG3…

Archangel

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

June 12th, 2019, 15:02
Originally Posted by booboo View Post
I don't like it either, but let's face it: nearly all rpgs suck at resource management.
And BG1/2 was really poor with this( rest)…at worst, you'd wake up to some annoying trash mobs easily dispatched, repeat.
Cooldowns at least prevent overuse of high level abilities that can trivialize even challenging encounters( usually gamebreaking/OP in these games)…I mean you could literally just memorize sequencers, rest, repeat, and obliterate everything using just one mage.
They also tend to work better with gameplay flow/exploration.
--

BoboTheMighty

SasqWatch

June 12th, 2019, 15:02
There are other fun things Swen wants to change:
Dungeons and Dragons’ leveling system is too slow for Baldur’s Gate 3

Baldur’s Gate 3 developer Larian has acknowledged a few difficulties in adapting its main source material – the fifth edition Dungeons and Dragons ruleset – to its current project. Certain things in a pen-and-paper RPG just can’t work in a videogame, after all – the most obvious of which is the near-infinite scope that a good DM can give inventive players when devising a solution to a challenge.

Compared with that, you might’ve thought that sorting out a leveling system would be relatively straightforward, but it turns out that Larian’s obligation to work specifically from D&D caused more than a few headaches in this department. We asked Larian founder Swen Vincke how fully his studio is adapting D&D’s character progression, and he said:

“That’s actually been one of the things that we’ve been struggling with, because it’s a very slow leveling process in the books,” he says. As D&D players will know, gaining ten or 12 levels on the tabletop is a journey that could last weeks, but for a videogame, it’s “not a lot.”

Nevertheless, Larian is making a D&D game. Therefore: “We wanted to stick to it. So we’re figuring out ways of letting you still feel that you’re progressing in a meaningful manner, but in a videogame manner.”

The joys of cross-media gaming adaptations run the other way too, apparently. Dungeons and Dragons’ strategic director Mike Mearls has been inspired by working with Larian, such that Baldur’s Gate III seems likely to shape the future of D&D.
https://www.pcgamesn.com/baldurs-gate-3/leveling-system

Archangel

SasqWatch

June 12th, 2019, 15:04
I don't like it either, but let's face it: nearly all rpgs suck at resource management.
And BG1/2 was really poor with this( rest)…at worst, you'd wake up to some annoying trash mobs easily dispatched, repeat.
Cooldowns at least prevent overuse of high level abilities that can trivialize even challenging encounters( usually gamebreaking/OP in these games)…I mean you could literally just memorize sequencers, rest, repeat, and obliterate everything using just one mage.
They also tend to work better with gameplay flow/exploration.
Booooo. You seem to want to play some other game. Go play SCL and leave BG3 to actual D&D fans.

Archangel

SasqWatch

June 12th, 2019, 15:39
Originally Posted by Archangel View Post
Booooo. You seem to want to play some other game. Go play SCL and leave BG3 to actual D&D fans.
Well, you always have to make adaptations if you want to have it work in a PC environment. Some things just make no sense without having a master for example who limits the player.
--
Doing >Let's Plays< and >Reviews< in German. Latest Review: Pathway
Mostly playing Indie titles, including Strategy, Tactics and Roleplaying-Games.
And here is a list of all games I ever played.

Kordanor

Wastelander
RPGWatch Donor

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Baldur's Gate 3 - Preview @RockPaperShotgun