Stardock & Star Control Creators - Settled with Mead and Honey - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Stardock & Star Control Creators - Settled with Mead and Honey

Default Stardock & Star Control Creators - Settled with Mead and Honey

June 13th, 2019, 01:00
ArsTechnica has the details on how the Stardock and Star Control creators settled their differences with mead and honey.

The settlement's details are public, and Ford & Reiche have a blog post on their site explaining things. In summary, though, the terms are simple and straightforward:

• All existing lawsuits between Stardock and Ford & Reiche are dismissed with prejudice (this simply means the suits cannot be re-litigated).
  • All parties are responsible for their own attorney's fees.
  • Stardock gets to use the Star Control name for its Star Control Origins game and can develop sequels and DLCs as it likes.
  • Ford & Reiche get to continue to develop their own direct Ur-Quan Masters sequel (which was previously called Ghosts of the Precursors but will be renamed).
  • The Star Control Origins universe (now known as "the Star Control franchise") will continue in a disconnected bubble from the Ur-Quan Masters/Ghosts of the Precursors universe (now known as "the Ur-Quan Masters franchise").
  • Reiche will contribute some writing to the Origins universe in a volunteer role.
  • All of the complicated arguments about who owns which copyrights and trademarks and who they bought them from and when and what's copyrightable and what's not are mooted. (Which is great because it means I don't have to re-summarize the mountain of IP arguments that both sides were making!)
  • The original three Star Control games can continue to be sold on other storefronts, including Stardock's, and Stardock will split revenue from those games' sales with Ford & Reiche.
  • No licensing money changed hands.
  • Brad Wardell of Stardock must furnish Paul Reiche with a specific amount of honey from Wardell's apiary.
  • In turn, Paul Reiche must furnish Brad Wardell with a specific amount of mead brewed from Wardell's bees' honey.
Wait… what?

Yeah, the last bit kind of threw me, too.

[…]
More information.

Silver

Spaceman
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)

June 13th, 2019, 01:01
I like the uniquely Star Control vibe of this settlement.

Silver

Spaceman
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)

June 13th, 2019, 02:04
What happens if the honey sours ?

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)

June 13th, 2019, 02:27
Well, it's a resolution….sort of. Oh, and the sour honey, go ahead and throw that out, you'll thank me later!

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)

June 13th, 2019, 04:09
F&R are great guys. The games co-exist like they should have in the beginning(?). I guess someone likes Honey mead.

I am really looking forward to a true sequel to UM. Bring back Star Control!

warmonger3

Ethereal

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
+1:

June 13th, 2019, 08:42
Ur-Quan Masters forever!!!! Star Control®: Origins on Steam is junk. If you watch the Ur-Quan Masters 2 video, it becomes clear that those are the REAL developers with creative talent!!!

- Brad Wardell of Stardock must sleep with Paul Reiche's wife to relieve Paul of heavy burden.
- In turn, Paul Reiche must give ten full body soap massages to Brad Wardell's grandfather with a specific amount of mead brewed from Wardell's bees' honey.
Last edited by mercy; June 13th, 2019 at 09:09.

mercy

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)

June 13th, 2019, 14:54
Smells like patchouli to me.
--
contributed to: Age of Decadence | Dead State | Dungeon Rats | Battle Brothers | Fell Seal:Arbiter's Mark
working on: Colony Ship RPG | Stygian:Reign of the Old Ones | Encased | ATOM RPG | Realms Beyond

screeg

floating head

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

June 13th, 2019, 17:21
The Great Boo is up.

rjshae

Periapt vs Paronomasia
RPGWatch Donor

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)

June 13th, 2019, 21:57
Given the direction of the honey I think stardock lost this round….

Originally Posted by screeg View Post
Smells like patchouli to me.

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)

June 13th, 2019, 23:01
Good, this whole argumentation felt kind of off. I'll gladly play future games from both developers.
Last edited by TomRon; June 17th, 2019 at 18:33.

TomRon

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
+1:

June 17th, 2019, 18:10
Mead and honey are not too far away from each other : The main ingredient of both is actually honey …

(Is this the background where the word "meadow" comes from ?)
--
"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)

Alrik Fassbauer

TL;DR
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)

June 17th, 2019, 18:23
Originally Posted by Alrik Fassbauer View Post
Mead and honey are not too far away from each other : The main ingredient of both is actually honey …

(Is this the background where the word "meadow" comes from ?)
Don't think so. En.wiktionary tracks "meadow" back to Proto-Indo-European *h₂met- (“to mow, reap”), while "mead" as the drink derives from from Proto-Indo-European *médʰu (“honey; honey wine”).

According to the same source, "mead" can also mean "meadow" in English, but those two instances of the word seems not to be releated.

pibbur who is no expert
--
d++a63e++TU4567'!S'!89!A!WM!LuC++++u+++uF+++nR——nS ++++wC—-o++++wS——uLB++++

1. The cat is alive! And pissed!!!
2. It's been 82 years. The cat is dead, and the stench is unbearable!!!

pibbur who

Number 14
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Stardock & Star Control Creators - Settled with Mead and Honey