Playing POE II - Turn-based or RTWP…. what do you think ? - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Games » Pillars of Eternity » Playing POE II - Turn-based or RTWP…. what do you think ?

Default Playing POE II - Turn-based or RTWP…. what do you think ?

April 7th, 2019, 11:14
I Have a huge backlog of games and have to decided to start with POE II. I Loved POE I and Baldurs Gate and others…. however I also very much like turn-based Games like the old SSIs, Divinity original sin and others… So i am kinda torn between both modes…

What would you recommend…. ? Is the turn based mode still very rough and imbalanced ? Any Pros or Cons ?

I would be very interested in your opinion,,,,

Cheers and thanks in advance,
L.

Lannister

Watchdog

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

April 7th, 2019, 13:04
You would think that a game with combat designed for RTWP would take a very long time to complete in turn based mode. Imagine the Baldur's Gate Gibberling encounters in the wilds in turn based model. It would take weeks to clear the area!
--
"For Innos!"

ToddMcF2002

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

April 7th, 2019, 13:12
I'd guess they've changed the make up of encounters to make it more suitable in turn-based mode. I suspect that's part of why you can't just switch modes mid game, as there's probably quite significant changes in how things are balanced.

I was having a look at their forums the other day, and the feeling seems to be that it's not quite ready, and might be best to wait for at least the next patch. Personally, I'm waiting for the console release, which will probably represent the reasonably finalised version of the game.
--
"Where can the horizon lie, when a nation hides its organic minds in a cellar, dark and grim? They must be very dim." David Bowie, All the Madmen (1970)

Ripper

Ngikufisela iwela

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)

April 7th, 2019, 13:39
I would wait for the April patch (a dev said it was coming soon about a week ago) before starting Deadfire in turn-based mode.
--
It's developer is owned by Sony which means it'll remain a hostage of inferior hardware. ~ joxer

azarhal

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)

April 7th, 2019, 14:43
I haven't played it in RTWP but I'm thirty hours into a turn based playthrough and enjoying it a lot. Everything works fine for me, although to be fair I don't know the game systems backward so I can well believe there are balancing issues I'm not really noticing. Most of the combat is still fairly short, but I've been in a few epic fights that have lasted 30 minutes or more - usually when I've gotten into a fight with something well beyond my level and my tactics have gone to a defensive war of attrition.

Pongo

SasqWatch
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)

April 7th, 2019, 16:49
Originally Posted by azarhal View Post
I would wait for the April patch (a dev said it was coming soon about a week ago) before starting Deadfire in turn-based mode.
Maybe they'll fix the AoE affliction bug they created back in January. And likely create new bugs in the process.

My advice is to wait another year. Until Obsidian is done screwing around with the game.

Drithius

Laughing Gnome

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

April 7th, 2019, 18:37
I don't think it's the kind of thing you should decide based on other's opinions. Try a little of both and decide for yourself which mode you like better.

Personally, I won't bother with the TB mode. There are enough TB games out there, and PoE was developed around RTwP.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)

April 8th, 2019, 01:42
Personally I always prefer TB. So I'll wait till thats properly implemented.
--
Doing >Let's Plays< and >Reviews< in German. Latest Review: Pathway
Mostly playing Indie titles, including Strategy, Tactics and Roleplaying-Games.
And here is a list of all games I ever played.

Kordanor

Wastelander

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)

Default Cheers

April 20th, 2019, 11:00
Hey People, Thank you for your input…. still undecided…. I have such huge backlog but cannot decide on what to play next……

I`m so tired from work that I have to find the strength to "get into" the game which sometimes is a chore for me… as soon as I am immersed after some ours it getts better..

Does anyone this issue too ?

Lannister

Watchdog

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

April 20th, 2019, 12:41
The turn based mode is great, I tried it a bit, but having just recently completed the game its to early for me to replay, beside iv'e not picked up the DLC yet so it would be good to replay in TB mode with the extra content when its not quite so fresh in my memory.

skally_wag

Watchdog

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

May 8th, 2019, 19:04
Today's update 5.0 for the one-year anniversary is the formal release of turn-based mode.

Also:

Originally Posted by Obsidian press release
Obsidian has also written in new story content recorded by the original actors which improves story aspects with Woedica and Eotha characters in the game. The final God Challenge will also be live with this update and turns on not only all the other God Challenges, but also Solo (the game must be played with no companions), Trail of Iron (you only have one save file and if you die, the save is deleted), and Path of the Damned (the hardest difficulty), for players looking to test their mettle.

[…]

Furthermore, Obsidian is holding a competition for the Ultimate God Challenge where players can get an embroidered patch from Obsidian and their name, class, character and level engraved on a plaque for prosperity to be hung in the Obsidian offices. For full guidelines for the competition, check out the latest Deadfire Backer Update on Obsidian’s forums.
loading…
--
"But if it's a battle," he said, "which side is which?"
"If it's a battle," said Lilac.

Hexprone

Thou hast lost an eighth!

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

May 8th, 2019, 19:15
Cool! Any experiences from the latest version of the TB mode?
--
Doing >Let's Plays< and >Reviews< in German. Latest Review: Pathway
Mostly playing Indie titles, including Strategy, Tactics and Roleplaying-Games.
And here is a list of all games I ever played.

Kordanor

Wastelander

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)

May 12th, 2019, 15:33
I picked this one up during the Winter Sale, and I'm still waiting on all the current patches and updates to settle down before I dive in. I did enjoy the first game so, with this one having turn-base as an option, I'm certain I'll like this one as well, perhaps even more so.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)

May 18th, 2019, 07:30
I'm playing with RTwP combat and must say I'm regretting it - the combat still feels messy and unclear although it's an improvement over first game (I didn't play with two expansions/later patches). I'd say TB may be a better idea for PoE2.
--
Favourite RPGs: Baldur's Gate II, NWN: The Aielund Saga, Pathfinder: Kingmaker, Icewind Dale I, Stardew Valley

purpleblob

Princess

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)

May 21st, 2019, 15:37
That's great information to read, Purple, thanks! I'll make certain that when I do play this game, I do it turn-based style.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)

June 17th, 2019, 02:01
I've been playing it for quite some time and it's working pretty well. Every once in a while there's a battle with a lot of enemies that really drags on as you wait for each and every single enemy to do its move but the majority of battles work well.

There's definitely a problem with pathing where I'll want to move a character just a little to the side but the path the game tries to use goes completely crazy. I've got no idea if that's a turn based thing or if the whole game has it, though.
--
The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views….
-- Doctor Who in "Face of Evil"

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » Games » Pillars of Eternity » Playing POE II - Turn-based or RTWP…. what do you think ?