New Computer - Quick view of parts?

Depends on how you obtain your windows 10. In most common cases (you buy a pc with it preinstall) the license is not transferable. However if you have a retail copy it might be transferable (oem copies are not).

So.

Just a couple of questions then.

I have a 250gb ssd in my laptop and a 500gb hdd too.

I assume that there should be a way to use those in the new pc I will buy or is that something I should not do?

Also, I am on win 10 on my laptop, can I transfer that license over to the pc?

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Don't worry too much regarding the oem copy. Even then there is a good chance you can transfer it. Just don't buy a new one right away and give it a try.

So.

Just a couple of questions then.

I have a 250gb ssd in my laptop and a 500gb hdd too.

I assume that there should be a way to use those in the new pc I will buy or is that something I should not do?

Also, I am on win 10 on my laptop, can I transfer that license over to the pc?

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

You can use your ssd, no problem. But laptop hdd have problems with pc compatibility, may not be usable.
Depends on windows licence, but you can usually just transfer everything to a new disk and plug and play.

A laptop hdd can be used with a pc but you might need an adapter to plug it in. Usually a $5 part so not a big deal. HOWEVER, laptop hdd are usually very slow (and the primary reasons laptop that still use a hdd (instead of sdd) are so slow.

You should take a look at whether you want a silent PC or a louder one.

Another point would be to have an more energy efficient machine or not.
Because energy -> money.

More energy efficient pcs are usually a bit slower, though.

More energy efficient pcs are usually a bit slower, though.

While you are right of course, this doesn't really matter too much, once you "locked" yourself into a certain area of gaming.
I mean if you are only looking to play games like Avernum forever, then yes, it might be a waste of energy to use "high end" hardware. But if you plan on playing "normal" games, energy efficiency is not really a thing as the differences are negligible when you move one tier up or down. And Pladio mentioned a GTX 1060 already which is a good sweet spot.

So just giving an example (reference cards) of MAX TDP (they actually also save energy if the energy is not needed to generate the performance):
GTX 1080: 180W
GTX 1070: 150W
GTX 1060: 120W
GTX 1050: 75W

With CPUs it should be more or less similar. If you are overclicking it will be less efficient of course. But not to the point where it becomes unreasonable.
The differences between generations and vendor (Nvidia cards were more energy efficient in the past than AMD cards, but didn't check recent cards) are more important. But I guess you will buy a card from the latest generation anyways.
You can actually save more money by replacing 1 or 2 light bulbs in your home with LED lights. Reducing performance to save money is definitely not the right way to do so. ^^

However, investing a few more euros in a more efficient PSU might save you money in the long term. But Pladio already suggested a Gold PSU. Above Gold the purchasing price can also become quite costly. So it might just be a matter of taste.
Personally I like fanless PSUs which are usually also more efficient. But I mainly like them because they further reduce noise and moving parts which means less parts which can get loud or break after a while.

Well as I said before I prefer platinum psu - but yea I always buy them on sale as their normal price can be excessive. Also newer components tend to use only the power they need. Run the latest 3d high end game and that 1080 will use a whole lot more power than if you run avernum. Btw I would not get a 1080 unless you really need one.
-
Last but least amd is running some sort of special with rx 580/amd i5 for a pretty decent price. Well - a couple of years ago this would have been a sucky price but things are pretty screwed up with gpu these days. I'm glad I picked up my 1070 prior to the current madness.

Well as I said before I prefer platinum psu - but yea I always buy them on sale as their normal price can be excessive. Also newer components tend to use only the power they need. Run the latest 3d high end game and that 1080 will use a whole lot more power than if you run avernum. Btw I would not get a 1080 unless you really need one.
-
Last but least amd is running some sort of special with rx 580/amd i5 for a pretty decent price. Well - a couple of years ago this would have been a sucky price but things are pretty screwed up with gpu these days. I'm glad I picked up my 1070 prior to the current madness.

The current madness seems to be dieing down though. You can see already slight price decreases. But on gamestar I also saw another news, of which I'll link the initial source as its in english: https://www.digitimes.com/news/a20180425PD205.html

I think that pretty much depends on your habits.
Actually your one issue only arises due to your other. ^^

I am personally using a 500GB SSD, and it's only half full. Using the PC for about 2 years now. Doesn't mean that you should go with 250gb instead, but to me 500GB is a great sweet spot, where I have tons of space left. I do however uninstall games after I finished them.
And I do save other stuff like recordings for Lets Plays and stuff like that on an internal HDD (3TB). For me it would be pretty much impossible to use an external USB drive instead due to the large volume of data I am shifting around.
Of course I am somewhat of a special case here, but in the end it really comes down to habits and user preferences.
If you are not using lots of data besides of games, 500GB can even be fine without additional HDD (which can also be the loudest part of the PC these days).
I'd just say, don't go below 500GB for the SSD, everything else is personal preference.

Thing is, games that are coming out now are significantly larger than games from the last 2 years. A single title can use 50GB+, and that number is only going to increase. If he wants to be as future-proof as possible, he's better off going with the larger SSD. Of course he can always add another drive later on too.

As far as internal vs external HDDs go, there's no comparison. External drives are so much more convenient especially if you have multiple PCs/laptops because it only takes a few seconds to swap it from one system to another. Plus you can pick it up and take it with you if you need to use your media somewhere else, i.e. friend's house, etc.

Still really depends. If you only play one game at a time, or one MMO + 1 other game at a time, you are not going to need the space.

I personally know the use of external HDDs. But even though I am using 8 external HHDs I still also use an internal HDD on each of my PCs. Though...I never used the one on my second PC actually.

It was just an example and I personally don't see it as a limit.
I just use to uninstall games after I finished them, have a couple of games installed atm anyways as I didn't bother to uninstall some yet, and I am still at 233/428GB (on my 850 Pro 512GB). So there is still enough room if I wanted to instlal fallout 4 with HD patch for example which takes 93GB.

Ofc I put heavy load files as my captured videos on my HDD until I move them over to external HDDs.

It was just an example and I personally don't see it as a limit.
I just use to uninstall games after I finished them, have a couple of games installed atm anyways as I didn't bother to uninstall some yet, and I am still at 233/428GB (on my 850 Pro 512GB). So there is still enough room if I wanted to instlal fallout 4 with HD patch for example which takes 93GB.

That might work for you, but a lot of gamers like to have a larger selection of games installed to choose from. I usually have at least 10 to 20 games installed.

Even though I usually focus on one game at a time, it's nice to be able to switch to something else if I feel like it without having to delete a game just to free up space.

I used to keep most of my games installed constantly, especially when I was still playing online products. Now, the only ones that linger on the hard drive are the one or two that I'm currently playing, those that I always go back to at some point, and the few that I keep around that are recent, in case they get expansions or some additional content. Like Elex, that sits patiently, in hopes of more of the story, but I'm pretty sure I could just delete it.

The funny thing is that large assets that are accessed linearly like video actually perform as well or better on hdd than most ssd (the newest pve are faster); now if we could only split are game assets by type of data. Ok that is dreaming and moving off topic of what type of hardware to buy.
-
I would not buy a super large ssd today simply because that is one component where prices are likely to drop quickly and it is almost pain free to add another drive later. You can get a good quality 500GB ssd for $120 or 1tb ssd for $200 so it ramps nearly linear so pick the one that works when you build a machine and when it is full buy another.

Data has become very cloud based these days. If you have a fast internet connection and most of your library on Steam or GOG, then there's not a huge advantage to keep a large amount of installs on your main SSD. It might be a little more convenient but if funds are limited, I think the money is better spent elsewhere, like a better GPU.

I'm sure there are those that have different opinions, but this thread seems to have started because someone wanted the best bang for their buck. Doubling your SSD size isn't going to do that. You can always upgrade later.

Data has become very cloud based these days. If you have a fast internet connection and most of your library on Steam or GOG, then there's not a huge advantage to keep a large amount of installs on your main SSD. It might be a little more convenient but if funds are limited, I think the money is better spent elsewhere, like a better GPU.

Yeah, I forgot to mention that his internet speed should also factor into that decision. That's another thing that could vary greatly depending on your location. If he can download a large game in 30 minutes or so then space isn't a big deal. However, if it's going to take him 5-6 hours every time he wants to install another game then it's a different story.

I'm sure there are those that have different opinions, but this thread seems to have started because someone wanted the best bang for their buck. Doubling your SSD size isn't going to do that. You can always upgrade later.

I got the impression that he's just trying to build a good system. Part of that is being as future-proof as possible. I don't see the point of building something that you might have to upgrade a year later.

IMHO it is silly to attempt to make a system 'future' proof in the macro sense. You don't know what the future will contain and parts typically drop quickly in price (i.e, it is cheaper to build to mid-tier systems over 3 years then one super duper system; esp if you are buying parts that hit the market 3 years ago). The problem is that you can't predict when a new dx standard will become available or a new interface that obsolete and destorys the value of your system or makes it hard to upgrade; or force you to upgrade a few years later.
-
I would build a system that meets your current needs. If you play on a 1080p screen and have no intention of changing it anytime soon it is most likely cheaper to buy the system for 1080p; and if 3 years later you buy a 4k screen then upgrade the system or build a new system as needed.

IMHO it is silly to attempt to make a system 'future' proof in the macro sense. You don't know what the future will contain and parts typically drop quickly in price (i.e, it is cheaper to build to mid-tier systems over 3 years then one super duper system; esp if you are buying parts that hit the market 3 years ago). The problem is that you can't predict when a new dx standard will become available or a new interface that obsolete and destorys the value of your system or makes it hard to upgrade; or force you to upgrade a few years later.

That depends entirely on the individual. When I build a new system, I like to have something that I know is going to be completely solid for at least a couple of years. To me, it makes little sense to add something that might need to be upgraded again the following year. An educated individual will know enough about upcoming software, etc, to be able to build a system that is at least somewhat future-proof and won't break their bank account.

And if you're constantly thinking about when X part is going to drop in price, you're only delaying your upgrades for no good reason. PC parts are always dropping in price, and it's impossible to predict when the very best time is to get something. It's better to just decide what you want and get it without agonizing over a few extra dollars\euros.

You completely missed the point. You don't know what the future holds.

That depends entirely on the individual. When I build a new system, I like to have something that I know is going to be completely solid for at least a couple of years. To me, it makes little sense to add something that might need to be upgraded again the following year. An educated individual will know enough about upcoming software, etc, to be able to build a system that is at least somewhat future-proof and won't break their bank account.

And if you're constantly thinking about when X part is going to drop in price, you're only delaying your upgrades for no good reason. PC parts are always dropping in price, and it's impossible to predict when the very best time is to get something. It's better to just decide what you want and get it without agonizing over a few extra dollars\euros.

Back
Top Bottom