New Space Hulk coming in 2013

There is nothing like controlling 4 or 5 marines at the same time (with overhead camera) through dark tunnels and placing them strategically to achieve their targets. It also feels like dungeon crawling and you also have to equip your marines before each mission. I can't wait to see how the co-op multiplayer will work.

Oh cool! For Mac, PC and.... iOS? Uhoh....

Reading the latest article on SpaceHulk on RPS, it looks like the game will be 3D isometric (not FP as in the previous computer games), inline with the developer's previous (not well known) games! Was expecting the FP treatment of previous games - dissapointed!

Almost Human would have done a better job of this game in FP.

you don't hear that everyday on this site: disappointment over Isometric instead of FP.

I'm guessing that it would be like what happened to Mechwarrior then, becoming a different game entirely.

Reading the latest article on SpaceHulk on RPS, it looks like the game will be 3D isometric (not FP as in the previous computer games), inline with the developer's previous (not well known) games! Was expecting the FP treatment of previous games - dissapointed!

I feel the same way actually. I'm not a big fan of Warhammer 40,000, but I've always found the Tyranids to be fascinating for some reason. I'd be a lot more interested if they had went the first-person route and made it heavy on atmosphere.

you don't hear that everyday on this site: disappointment over Isometric instead of FP.

I'm guessing that it would be like what happened to Mechwarrior then, becoming a different game entirely.

Like MechCommander?
mechommand.jpg

From the way the website words thing, it looks like this is just a digital version of the board game. I hope it comes with a powerful map editor, because that could really give it a long life

Loved the Space Hulk boardgame with expansions - as well as Space Crusade. Never found any of the computer versions very interesting - as the core boardgame is quite simplistic and limited in scope - and they're all based on the core game.

I'd love an expansive turn-based version - with the features from the expansion material and that campaign book you could get for it.

Other than that, I think the setting has a lot of potential for an Aliens/System Shock type of game - heavy on atmosphere and exploration.

I was expecting something along the lines of the first PC games like this:

shulk2.jpg

I played this or the previous version on my Apple //C IIRC. I was a bit weirded out by a city "dungeon crawl" in a SciFi game but had fun even if the battles were impossible. The thing I found most interesting were the public terminals you could log into that simulated a mass BBS free for all users. Yes, us BBS's imagined an internet even then.

Loved the Space Hulk boardgame with expansions - as well as Space Crusade. Never found any of the computer versions very interesting - as the core boardgame is quite simplistic and limited in scope - and they're all based on the core game.

I'd love an expansive turn-based version - with the features from the expansion material and that campaign book you could get for it.

Other than that, I think the setting has a lot of potential for an Aliens/System Shock type of game - heavy on atmosphere and exploration.

3rd edition actually spices things up a bit. Psykers are now a part of the core rules, and they are far less broken. There is also a new type of genestealer known as a "Broodlord", which is a tough nut to crack.
Sadly no hybrids made it into 3rd edition, most likely due to the fact that GW is trying to retcon them out of existence, and neither the Magus nor the Patriarch made the transition either (these were all present in the second Space Hulk PC game, by the way, as were Chaos Marines).

And I don't think a System Shock-like game would work all that well in the 40k setting, on board a space hulk infested by genestealers. Genesteales are basically aliens but more intelligent and psykers capable of telepathic communication, and also more durable (no acid blood though). The also have the ability to hypnotize people. There is room for something more or less System Shock-like in the 40k setting, even on board a space hulk, but with Chaos as the big threat rather than Tyranids.

Never played the original, but I'm definitely down for this one since I'm now officially Warhammer 40 K fanatic. So TB tactical game, sounds just like what Warhammer 40k been needing to do digitally for quite a long time.

Back
Top Bottom