Baldur's Gate 3 - Early Access Review @ Pocket-Lint

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Pocket-Lint checked out Baldur's Gate 3:

Baldur's Gate 3 initial review: A sprawling RPG epic

Larian had been cranking out solid games in the Divinity series for good few years before its reputation skyrocketed with the release of Divinity 2: Original Sin - it struck gold with its combination of role-playing fun and devilishly organic combat.

Now the developer has been given the keys to the castle so pined-after by developers around the world - an official Dungeons and Dragons license and the long-awaited third entry in the Baldur's Gate franchise. Each bringing enormous new pressure.

But from the early access build of Baldur's Gate 3 that we've been playing, it's looking like something special once again.

A new, old start

The first two Baldur's Gate games are straightforwardly seminal in the canon of interactive roleplaying; enormous adventures that were different for each player that played them through, with a large cast of memorable characters and storylines to sink into.

[...]

First ImpressionsUntil then, though, Baldur's Gate 3 is looking like a delightful treat for PC gamers before the glut of next-gen console launches arrives. It's got a deep adventure to offer with a range of companions that are impressivesly nuanced and fun to engage with, and combat that'll keep you thinking.

Early access versions are a minefield, so you can't really afford to come into Baldur's Gate expecting a totally smooth time - that simply won't happen. For now, though, there's still a whole lot of adventurous fun to be had, and Larian's world design has never looked so luminous and gorgeous.
More information.

Great a review from someone that never played BG 1 or 2. /clap for millenial crap.

It's ok, I am just salty that it has nothing to do with BG at all - it can still be a great game that me and everybody else can enjoy.

It is amazingly well written and fun. Every night I play I find new things I had missed or new ways of doing things as I go through with various characters. The tea house visit is one of my new favorites.

Also playing a Drow is ridiculously fun to do.

Probably because Drow and Half-Drow are hated by the surface races. Just my two cents based on lore and past PC RPGs. As I wont play the Early Access version of BG III.

Keeping it general, to avoid spoilers, simply because there are a lot of dialogue options related to them. I enjoy getting into discussions and seeing the option:

[DROW]: Blah blah bhal

In addition I love how the goblins react to you as a Drow as they think you are one of them. You get a lot of ass kissing from them in certain cases. In one the goblin wasn't sure if he should bow to you or attack you ... what happens depends on where you take the dialogue of course.

After playing a half-elf and Tiefling in the goblin areas it was rather fun to be a Drow.

Nothing earth-shattering mind you. It is these little things, however, that I often enjoy in games.

Have you tried a Githyanki yet? I wonder how goblins are to them?

I don't think that the Githyanki have any association with goblins since they come from the Astral Plane. As far as I remember, Lae'zel didn't have anything special to say about goblins.

Back
Top Bottom