Assassin's Creed Origins - Reviews

It actually seems to be a decent game, though 'RPG' is probably a bit too grand a term. It looks like an action game that had an RPG system slapped on it because, hey, it works with Witcher III, so why not?

I've been looking at this game for some time now (historian here and, while not an Egyptologist - I'm more into late Roman stuff - Pharaonic Egypt is a hobby of mine), trying to decide whether to buy it. I've got a troubled history with Ubi open world games however (I buy them, play them and then quickly get bored), so in this case I ended up just viewing a complete walkthrough on Youtube (fast-forwarding boring combat bits).

Now, for any judgments on the gameplay I'll point towards the reviews on the Metacritic and Open Critic sites. So far there are no really bad reviews, but quite a few ones that are fairly critical (bugs, combat system, repetitive gameplay, not-so-great story and characters etc). Still, the game's rating hovers a bit above 80, which is around AC IV Black Flag's level. A game I personally found boring, but quite a few people liked it.

Anyway, from what I've seen of the game, I came away with the following impressions:

1. The story is pretty utilitarian but mostly works; the hero, Bayek of Siwa (which wasn't part of Egypt, although culturally under Egyptian influence, ah well…), and his wife Aya (a modern Arab name, again ah well…) has a simple motivation (reveeeeeenge!). The cutscenes that flesh out this basic story are reasonably well done with mostly good voice acting.
The rest? Not so good. Sidemissions sometimes have serviceable stories, think Horizon Zero Dawn level, sometimes not that great. Minor NPC voice acting and animations are often pretty horrid. Quite a few of these sidemissions (and some of the main path missions) are also rather questionable from a historical point of view.
However, if you see them simply as semi-believable excuses for the player to go out and kill NPC extras, loot their corpses and get XP, they do their job. They do have a bit more narrative flesh on them than the usual Ubi busyjob tasks.

2. The game has two cultural 'styles' in it - native Egyptian and Hellenistic (Graeco-Roman) - that determine how people and buildings look. This is historical, as Egypt was the center of the empire of the Graeco-Macedonian Ptolemaic dynasty and was therefore a land of two cultures. These styles are rather well-realized. However, after about an hour I started to notice that the 'Egyptian' style was beginning to suffer from 'Art Asset Repetitis Syndrome'. Basically, there are a lot of temples, houses, villas and ruins in the native Egyptian style, but Ubi made a limited number of art assets that are repeated ad nauseam: the same wall textures, tables, statues etc. As a result, the 'native' part of Egypt starts to look pretty samey really quickly.
The Hellenistic style actually appears to be more varied and subsequently doesn't feel as repetitive as the Egyptian one. I suspect there are two reasons for this: first, the information needed to create these assets quickly and relatively accurately is much easier to get than for Egyptian stuff. Second, I strongly suspect Ubi deliberately invested far more effort in these assets because the inevitable sequel will take place someplace Hellenistic - Greece itself, Roman Italy etc. The bulk of the assets created can be lifted to Italy, Greece, Asia Minor or western Syria with few or no modifications. That's great for Ubi, but has clearly come at the expense of the depiction of 'native' old Egypt in the game.
But in a nutshell: Hellenistic stuff looks great and is fairly varied, Egyptian stuff is beautiful but suffers very heavily from asset cloning.

3. The use of an RPG system with levels has some weird consequences. Because the game is 'historical' (and some sizeable bits are just that), visual enemy variety is pretty limited: a handful of animals (hyenas, hippos, crocodiles, big cats, pure prey like gazelles etc.), bandits, Ptolemaic soldiers, Roman soldiers, some 'gladiators' (one of the bigger historical inaccuracies in the game BTW). These enemies are recycled constantly but are tied to the level range of the specific area on the map. I've seen level 23 hyenas, for instance. Nasty as they are, in most RPG's they would be low-level enemies. Not in AC:O. The same applies to ordinary unarmoured Ptolemaic infantry, cavalry, epic hippos and crocodiles etc.

4. Finally, there are a lot of weird, avoidable inaccuracies that probably derive from a variety of causes. Several of the weapons are either 1,000 to 2,000 years out of date, others are around 1,500 years too early. Some of these may be models from earlier AC games. Sailing boats, dovecotes and probably several other things are contemporary Egyptian rather than ancient Egyptian. The galleys in the game really look weird, which is a bit strange because, anachronistic or not, most stuff in the game looks pretty accurate. Perhaps it's a quirk of Ubisoft Singapore, which I think was responsible for the naval stuff.
Anyway, these inaccuracies are just annoying from a historical point of view - they don't have an impact on the game per se.

I think that, on the whole, this is a good AC game and looks like an above average action game. It's a really good way of exploring Hellenistic architecture (although there quite a few good 3D reconstruction videos on the Internet, try for instance the Altair 4 Multimedia Youtube Channel). As for the older, native Egypt, that looks good too but suffers way too much from a limited range of assets. It's a pity Ubi did not go all-out for, say, New Kingdom Egypt in the time of Ramses II and devoted 100% of their resources to it.

Next stop for the franchise? Almost certainly somewhere Graeco-Roman!

What I've seen so far looks decent enough, but my primary concern is lack of variety. Not only have past AC games been very repetitive, I think I'd get sick of the Egyptian look after a while.

I like open-world games to have more than one biome, and this looks like it's the same style throughout.

Played only a bit over an hour of this but no cpu problems for me. 40% max and average 25% usage. I do have a 6c/12t cpu though.

Fun so far but can’t tell much in just an hour.

Won't go into history analysis, however…
the game's rating hovers a bit above 80, which is around AC IV Black Flag's level. A game I personally found boring, but quite a few people liked it.
I don't know who those people are, but IMO AC4 is overrated garbage I cannot recommend to anyone. Posted it many times here. Did those people even play anything else in their life?

1. The story is pretty utilitarian but mostly works; the hero, Bayek of Siwa (which wasn't part of Egypt, although culturally under Egyptian influence, ah well…), and his wife Aya (a modern Arab name, again ah well…) has a simple motivation (reveeeeeenge!).
Not quite in the spot.
Bayek is one of medjay which per wiki were "an elite paramilitary police force: desert scouts and protectors of areas of Pharaonic interest.". He's presumably the last of them, why, I don't want to spoil the story.

His (and his wife's) motivation begins as revenge because there is no justice system that would right certain wrong. They'll uncover a conspiracy that led many people to, let's say, misfortune, not just them. And then he becomes vigilante, but not forgeting what his original job is.

The rest? Not so good. Sidemissions sometimes have serviceable stories, think Horizon Zero Dawn level, sometimes not that great.
I have no idea what is Horizon Zero Dawn level. Nor care untill it comes on PC.

Sidemissions add to the lore and game story. An example.
You start the game by killing a certain person. Later in the game there is a sidemission (preorder bonus Secrets of the First Pyramids) that will lead you to a pyramid where you'll discover someone burried the person you killed there basically defiling the place. Next you'll, during another side mission, get hit in the gut by that man's wife. Then you'll be led into a trap by his mistress.
Etc.
Oh and the preorder mission ends by the questgiver saying about scrolls you uncover something like this: "now we know how pyramids were built, I'm taking these to Alexandria (library ofc) where they'll be safe and we'll share the knowledge with the whole world".
A nice touch for historians, right?

Sidemissions are connected to the main story here. I don't know if it's on The Witcher 3 consequences level (Keira joins you in main story fight if helped for example), but it's totally different from any previous AC game where sidemissions were mostly boring filler.

visual enemy variety is pretty limited: a handful of animals (hyenas, hippos, crocodiles, big cats, pure prey like gazelles etc.), …
Limited?
Other than animals you numbered there are also vultures and snakes that become hostile if threatened (or hit). Presumably there are elephants too but so far haven't seen them. Cows, chicken, horses, camels and normal cats do not net you anything when killed. Flamingo and herons net you 1 XP and their head.
Dogs I saw only within quests not in freeroam (maybe a bug).
I'd say animals variety is richer than in any other AC game if not any other game generally.

Sadly, I have to agree on human trashmobs variety, there is perhaps a dozen of different units being recycled - not just by their outfit but faces too. Except bosses and minibosses (tip: certain bosses have a weakness - just stay on the horse).
But well, you'll (hopefully) sneak and "instaclear" all those human trashmobs so their looks and AI behavior doesn't really matter.

What I've seen so far looks decent enough, but my primary concern is lack of variety. Not only have past AC games been very repetitive, I think I'd get sick of the Egyptian look after a while.
You'll get sick only if you'll go grind respawned trashmobs as if it was lousy outdated jRPG design. It is not.

To prevent getting nauseaous do this:
1. Get into a map area
2. Do the main quest (if it's there, no main story in some parts of the map)
3. After main do all sidequests in the area (not before as main unlocks few new ones)
4. Sweep a few leftover points of interest
5. Go to the next map area and never look back

Played only a bit over an hour of this but no cpu problems for me. 40% max and average 25% usage. I do have a 6c/12t cpu though.
Man, will you please post that on Ubi forums?
They didn't put i7 overclocked as minimum, nor hexacore with hyperthreading as recommended.

Last edited:
I was planning to buy the game but not after this bullshite.... I will wait for the game to be cracked and then pirate it since Ubisoft does not give crap about paying cutomers.

From F-Secure's website: "VMProtect is a Russian-made security envelope and file compressor utility that makes reverse engineering of protected software quite difficult. According to reports,

VMProtect has been lately used to obfuscate malicious software, so heuristic detection for it was added into F-Secure Anti-Virus."

Voksi Bulgarian:
About AC: O, one guy at cs.rin.ru send me the binaries of the game and asked me which version of Denuvo the game uses, so I decided to take a look. I found it very strange when I saw that VMProtect layer over Denuvo only because Denuvo dropped VMProtect early this year. I thought it's some desperate move by Denuvo but it seems now that Ubisoft could have implemented it themselves, tanking your game performance by a lot, especially if they hooked Denuvo and VMP to time-critical functions of the game. So, if you have high cpu usage while playing the game, this is reason. It seems Ubisoft simply does not care about you nor your gaming experience.

You have playstation, I've answered you to buy the console version in currently playing thread as those versions do not use VMprotect.

You have playstation, I've answered you to buy the console version in currently playing thread as those versions do not use VMprotect.

Yes I have playstation but its the general principle of Ubisoft being dicks thats annoys me.

They got lucky this time. The game on release was not broken like Unity so CPUhammering related FPS drops can be viewed as a minor annoyance by casual mainstream. I mean they did the similar thing already, AC4 is hammering one core which causes microstutters unless you overclock CPU and mainstream ignored that issue while professional critics praised the port.

I know it's not usual to hear me suggesting console versions but in this case I just can't recommend the PC port. At least not yet, maybe they patch it up to work properly, but I won't hope much as they never fixed AC4 rotten code.

I mean look at this what a person was trying to "fix" the game and nothing helped:
http://steamcommunity.com/app/582160/discussions/0/1480982338950118118/?ctp=3#c1480982338956661579
Here's everything I've tried:

-Reinstalling the latest NVidia drivers using DDU to completely remove the old ones.
-Uninstalling the game and re-downloading it from scratch on Steam
-Played with almost every single setting
-Overclocking my CPU a little more
-Overclocking my GPU a little more
-Disabling Hyperthreading in the Bios
-Disabling core perking in Windows 10
-Checking for any Windows Updates
-Reinstalling UPlay
-Disabling Steam Overlay
-Disabling Uplay overlay
-Disabling NVidia's Shadowplay overlay
-Running the game with both Steam and UPlay in offline mode
-Limiting the framerate to 58 FPS using nvinspector
-Changing pre-rendered frames to 1 in NVidia control panel
-Setting GPU performance to prefer maximum performance in the NVidia control panel
-Using forced Vsync and Tripple buffering via NVidia control panel instead of using the in-game vsync.

P.S. - This is happening on BOTH of my systems, 1 with a 6700K/1080 Ti and the other with 4770K/1080

Note that I bought the game directly on uPlay store because of -20% discount when you use 100 uplay points. Which means I'm experiencing the CPU problem without having both steam and uplay active.

Last edited:
I was planning to buy the game but not after this bullshite…. I will wait for the game to be cracked and then pirate it since Ubisoft does not give crap about paying cutomers.

None of this is confirmed, maybe it’s as reliable as when hackers said denuvo wrote endlessly to ssd’s and ruined them. Which was totally debunked.

So hackers that hate drm and spend all their time cracking games and putting them on torrents sites for free say it’s the drms fault? Shocking. It’s like reading negative things about African Americans on a KKK website. They may be a bit bias.

I’m not saying it isn’t the drm since I have no idea but I won’t take hackers word for it. I don’t trust them anymore than I trust UBI.

It is ironic that hackers complain about intrusive DRM that is there in part because of hackers. I’m sure companies would love to stop spending money on DRM if people would stop pirating.

None of this is confirmed, maybe it’s as reliable as when hackers said denuvo wrote endlessly to ssd’s and ruined them. Which was totally debunked.

So hackers that hate drm and spend all their time cracking games and putting them on torrents sites for free say it’s the drms fault? Shocking. It’s like reading negative things about African Americans on a KKK website. They may be a bit bias.

I’m not saying it isn’t the drm since I have no idea but I won’t take hackers word for it. I don’t trust them anymore than I trust UBI.

The CPU issue is wide spread and there is no denying that. So either its DRM or shitty code from UBI. Both are really bad but you are right in that we should not take hackers word for it but where is UBI in all this? Why are they keeping silent?

It is ironic that hackers complain about intrusive DRM that is there in part because of hackers. I’m sure companies would love to stop spending money on DRM if people would stop pirating.

Piracy or not, UBI needs to respect paying customers. I don't want to pay full price for game then to find out its crippled and in fact its better to get cracked version anyway.

ANyway we will need to wait till the game is cracked to see if the CPU issues goes away or not.

Circular argument. At some stage you have to stop penalizing your real customers in the name of preventing lost profits.
Its not even a question of value anymore for me. I'd pay the same amount to a group that removes DRM and virus malware from a program out of appreciation as i would to the company for the product.
Treat your customers better than you treat criminals. Business 101.

Circular argument. At some stage you have to stop penalizing your real customers in the name of preventing lost profits.
Its not even a question of value anymore for me. I'd pay the same amount to a group that removes DRM and virus malware from a program out of appreciation as i would to the company for the product.
Treat your customers better than you treat criminals. Business 101.

Easier said than done with a digital product. You wouldn’t expect brick and mortar stores to leave their doors unlocked and get rid of all security measures.

As a business owner I can assure you that UBisoft ( or any company)doesn’t want to release poor products. They want to release the best possible product Within the restraints of thier profit projections.

They also wouldn’t spend money on DRM if they didn’t feel piracy made a big enough impact on thier bottom line. Right or wrong. ( I won’t go down the rabbit hole of arguing the impact of piracy as its irrelevant if Ubisoft perceives it to be a problem)

I understand the consumer side of it but I also understand the business side. Unfortunately piracy makes it a losing proposition on both side. Not just piracy either, theft as a whole affects us all.

Very loosely related. Last Monday I had tools stolen from a job and on the same day my bank cancelled my business card and temporarily froze my account because someone Stole my information and tried to make a substantial charge in London. I live in the US. I lost thousands in tools and a day getting my new card and jumping through security hoops at the bank.

Moral of the story- as long as thier are dishonest bastards honest people will pay the price. It’s not just Ubisoft or gaming I can think of several ways my life is made more difficult due to security measures because of dishonest people. Don’t even get me started on the airport security measures.

Sorry for the rant I’m just really sick of dishonest thieving bastards and worse.

As a business owner I can assure you that UBisoft ( or any company)doesn’t want to release poor products. They want to release the best possible product Within the restraints of thier profit projections.

This maybe true for most companies but not for UbiSoft. Leaving DRM aside, they have released extremely buggy products in the past and charged full price knowing full well they are buggy. This has happened to past AC games and their other games. UbiSoft isn't a company you want to defend ....

I have been reading an AMA with an Egyptologists in Reddit and apparently the Great Pyramid is in 1:1 scale and lot of other Egyptians goodies! This makes me even more mad!

Look like I need to shut-up and bend over to UbiSoft :lol:

Except when you are the customer of your products, customer and provider are dissociated.

Pointless to assess the position of a provider when you are a customer, it does not mix.

As to providing the best product possible, indeed, to be the most profitable possible.
The best product is the most profitable one. It stops there.

People must keep in mind that the crowdfunded scene happened.

The crowdfunded scene has made a business of releasing faulty products on purpose and paint the correction of the faults as a courteous favour graciously offered for free to customers who must rejoice because devs do not pull out as it is their right.

It takes a great deal of effort to buy the release the best product possible stuff.
Simple minded people merely do not have the intellect to perform the trick.

I have been reading an AMA with an Egyptologists in Reddit and apparently the Great Pyramid is in 1:1 scale and lot of other Egyptians goodies! This makes me even more mad!
Dunno about architecture, but random stuff people do and you notice while exploring like recreation of funeral is absolutely fantastic.
Truth to be told, this is not odd, I've expected something like that after similar "mundane coreography" that can randomly happen in WD2.

I like open-world games to have more than one biome, and this looks like it's the same style throughout.

The game has basically six biomes: Nile Valley (with trees and fields), Nile delta (with swamps), Mediterrean scrub and open woodland (the region of Cyrene), sandy desert, rocky desert, bare mountains (basically rocky hills). Oases might form a sixth, but they're basically Nile Valley environments but with a lake or two instead of the River Nile. However, apart from the greenery in the first three environments they do somewhat look 'samey' due to being yellow brown, reddish brown, beige etc.

Alex Hutchinson, the creative director of AC III and Far Cry 4 (and trained as an archaeologist…) once called ancient Egypt one of the worst settings for an AC game. I don’t remember him giving a good explanation why, but I can think of some reasons: lack of variation and verticality in the natural environment (although there are some spectacular vistas and – barren - mountainous areas away from the Valley) and lack of variation and verticality in the urban environments.
Ubi did try to ‘sex things up’ by changing the environment in the Faiyum and Siwa oases for instance, adding ‘mountains’ (rocky hills) in what in reality are fairly flat areas. There’s also a noticeable lack of simple mudbrick houses in the native Egyptian villages and towns, with prettily painted (if samey-looking) ‘middling’ houses and villas being far more prominent. Ironically, this ‘homogenizes’ the look of the native Egyptian settlements even more.

Thank you for the insights! Interesting to read about the setting from a historian's point of view.
You’re welcome. I’d like to point out that Bob Whitaker, an American history professor, has a Youtube channel called ‘History respawned’, where he takes a close look at videogames from a historian’s POV. He has already posted his first impression of this game and has announced that he’s going to make a future episode on AC:O together with an Egyptologist. So anyone who’s interested: keep an eye on his channel!

I don't know who those people are, but IMO AC4 is overrated garbage I cannot recommend to anyone. Posted it many times here. Did those people even play anything else in their life?
I don’t like AC4 either, but it appealed to a lot of people. So Ubi did something right there. It’s just not our kind of game.

Not quite in the spot.
Bayek is one of medjay which per wiki were "an elite paramilitary police force: desert scouts and protectors of areas of Pharaonic interest.". He's presumably the last of them, why, I don't want to spoil the story.
His (and his wife's) motivation begins as revenge because there is no justice system that would right certain wrong. They'll uncover a conspiracy that led many people to, let's say, misfortune, not just them. And then he becomes vigilante, but not forgeting what his original job is.
The primary motivation, and the one that’s instantly recognisable and rather cliché (but works) is revenge. Sure, Bayek is also an allround problemsolver/errand boy ‘because you’re a Medjay’ and he and Aya take other things in consideration as well (particularly later on), but revenge is the driving force and remains so almost till the end. This is particularly made clear in many of the cutscenes after they have killed one of the bosses/assassination targets. The game also ends with a quote (from a famous Greek text) that can only refer to their loss and subsequent obsessive search for vengeance.

The Medjay thing is actually one of the bigger ‘liberties’ the game takes with history BTW. The Medjay were long gone by the game’s time, disappearing together with the New Kingdom at the end of the Bronze Age. The Medjay of AC:O are more inspired by The Mummy movies and The Witcher III than anything else. There actually were native Egyptian policemen (sort of) in Ptolemaic Egypt (the Ptolemaic Greek term would have been phylakites, a police officer would have been an archiphylakites. Yeah, too many syllables for a videogame I guess). They wouldn’t have been present in Siwa however, since that oasis was the center of an independent tribal desert kingdom and wasn’t part of Egypt until the Romans annexed it.

(If anyone is curious about the actual Medjay and in what kind of context they operated, there’s a BBC series called Ancient Egyptians. Look for episode II The Tomb Robber’s Tale.)

Basically, Ubi wanted a ‘proto-assassin meets Geralt the Witcher’ sheriff-type character and they made one up, added a term popularly known from Mummy movies and voilá: Bayek the Medjay of Siwa. It works. A game based around a more historically accurately named police officer called ‘Bayek the Archiphylakites of Krokodilopolis’ would probably sink the value of Ubisoft simply by virtue of the number of syllables.
Sidemissions add to the lore and game story. An example.
You start the game by killing a certain person. Later in the game there is a sidemission (preorder bonus Secrets of the First Pyramids) that will lead you to a pyramid where you'll discover someone burried the person you killed there basically defiling the place. Next you'll, during another side mission, get hit in the gut by that man's wife. Then you'll be led into a trap by his mistress.

I wasn’t commenting on the quests in a technical sense, but on their quality; they are not particularly well written (and sometimes horribly voiced), but not bad either, just like those in HZD. It may be progress by AC standards, but it’s not particularly special for a RPG.
To be honest, the sidequests seem to be one of the places where the game clashes with history. The big events
the fire in Alexandria’s harbour, the beheading of Pompey, the drowning of young Ptolemy
are actually reasonably correct, but the mistakes or pure inventions tend to be in the sidequests. Sometimes Ubi admits as much by inserting some kind of disclaimer, sometimes it appears to be a genuine mistake they weren’t aware of.

Limited?
Other than animals you numbered there are also vultures and snakes that become hostile if threatened (or hit). Presumably there are elephants too but so far haven't seen them. Cows, chicken, horses, camels and normal cats do not net you anything when killed. Flamingo and herons net you 1 XP and their head.
Dogs I saw only within quests not in freeroam (maybe a bug).

I wrote that the character’s enemies (‘visual enemy variety’!) consist of a handful of animal species and ditto human enemies. Horses, dogs, chickens, flamingos and ibex are not your opponents; hippos, crocodiles, hyenas and leopards are. The total enemy variety is piss-poor by RPG standards.

I get your point Saki but not your analogies.
They can make vehicles unstealable today, but the hassle for the real customers would be too great to justify it.
You are almost proving my argument by saying there will always be human scum. I agree. I just think that its better to cater to your non-scum rather than attempting to stop all piracy.

As for ubisoft, I think they are hands down the worst company in software at the moment. From their damages lawsuits, to employee non competes, to their studio subsidies, to their leadership, to their platform and finally their attitude towards the customer...
They have zero respect from me. I dont think anyone there has taken a customer service session in their life, from the CFO to the Support line.

Honestly if people were not so stupid and impulsive with the next shiny purchase, this company would have been out of business ages ago.
But... its entertainment, and people dont care about being treated like crap, they only care about getting more..
Any other industry would have eaten Ubi by now.

Back
Top Bottom