New monitor: TN or IPS

Edit: Best thing is to go to your local computer shop and look at TN and IPS panel monitors.

This would be ideal.

Like I said earlier, a premium TN panel can rival an IPS panel. This is why the earlier Lenovo X1 Carbons were always mistaken for having an IPS panel (even though they didn't offer one).

Also, IPS colours can be great, but IPS glow can be shit.

Also, IPS colours can be great, but IPS glow can be shit.

Yes IPS glow is crap but its easy to spot and avoid.

My point is, for an average gamer a well reviews IPS screen is better than a fancy TN panel.

I am not being offensive to pibbur but I would say, like myself, he is also an average game and better off with IPS panel as we all can very easily appreciate a good looking image over any advantage (response time) of TN panel.

And you think the colours on TN is good as you get on IPS?
As good? They're better. Sure, it's subjective - note that the reason for my workplace monitor being IPS is angles visibility not color schemes. I do not watch movies nor play games on it.
My point is, for an average gamer a well reviews IPS screen is better than a fancy TN panel.
Could be. I'm not really an average gamer and my monitor is nothing fancy. ;)

As good? They're better.
Note that the reason for my workplace monitor being IPS is angles visibility not color schemes. I do not watch movies nor play games on it.

Could be. I'm not really an average gamer and my monitor is nothing fancy. ;)

Wow, you must be the first person who said colours on TN looks better than IPS.

I am not arguing for the sake of arguing but I am genuinely surprised.

I currently use a HP OMEN X which is VA panel and paid £900 but I still find the colours on my old £600 IPS much better...

On what and which TN? There are numerous cheapskate TN monitors I wouldn't suggest even to my worst enemy.
Just do me a favor and find this garbage of a monitor I have somewhere in real life. No way I'm the only one who has it. Then see for yourself.

As I hinted above though, make sure it's PC that's plugged in it. Not some Nintendo Gameboy. ;)

OLED all the way

I currently have a 10 year old HP IPS monitor. Payed 500 euro for it back then, don't regret it one moment. I like good colors, but for me what's more important is if it is easy on the eyes (contrast, refresh rate, no flickering, etc.).

IPS with minimal glow is the "best" for visual prettiness. But getting a good one can sometimes be a lottery and how much time do you want to deal with it?

TN will be the best if you're into FPS or twitch gaming where every micro-second counts. It should be mentioned that unless you have an IPS right next to it, and you're looking head-on, you won't be able to tell it's an "inferior" choice as the main user. The fall off from watching at the sides is the issue, so people watching you play will see it washed out.

VA monitors are kind of a hybrid. Better colors than TN, not quite as good as IPS, better blacks than both. The ultra-widescreen monitors are mostly VA, so something to consider as playing certain games on widescreen improves the experience (in my opinion.)

G-Sync and FreeSync are nice to haves if your video card isn't bleeding edge, but you're paying enough for the add-on (particularly for G-Sync) you can almost upgrade your card.

Comes down to your specific needs, but hope that helps give you an idea.

But getting a good one can sometimes be a lottery and how much time do you want to deal with it?

If you research into particular brand/model, the chance of getting a bad one is very low to be negligible.

@lostforever;: No, you're not being offensive to me. Not at all.

@Mosaic;: So you say, that if I have a GTX *80 (or a similar AMD) class gpu, g-sync/freesync doesn't add anything?

@ilm;: I haven't seen any OLED monitors around here - didn't know they existed (apart from TV's, of course).

But, let me tell you a bit more about my "project". 4 year's ago, turning 60, I bought myself a present, a new PC. For once I decided to go for a high-end system. Kept my old Benq 24" monitors (TN, I've been happy with them).

Now, approaching 64 and retiring, I decided to do it once more, and this time go a bit further, hence new monitors (I've already built the PC). I want something I can be really happy with, and which will last me for years (correct English?), as I probably won't go this far again. From that perspective, cost is right now of minor importance (within reasonable limits). I'll pay what I have to (which, surprise, surprise is accepted by the wife). In other words, the lower cost of a TN monitor compared to and IPS is not in itself an issue. OTOH, I don't want to pay more than I have to, etiher.

I think comparing monitors is a good idea. I know that one of the vendors here has a ROG 27" TN monitor as well as a Predator 27" IPS (both G-syncs). Both of them were already on my shortlist.

As I said, I can buy the before mentioned HP Omen (I really like that name) on sale from my on line pusher and return it in 60 days if I'm not satisfied. So maybe I'll do that, and then compare my impression with the ROG and the Predator available locally.

One more thing: Norway is a small country. The selection of monitors available is not as large as in the US, UK etc, especially in retail stores (the vendor I mentioned only had 3 gaming monitors last time I was there, the ROG, the Predator and, I think, an AOC). More are available on line, but then I can't compare them visually.

Even one more thing: I will get 2 monitors, not one ultra-wide thingy. I like to play a game on one monitor and at the same do other things, like hunting for hints on the web, on the other one.

pibbur

Last edited:
@Mosaic;: So you say, that if I have a GTX *80 (or a similar AMD) class gpu, g-sync/freesync doesn't add anything?

g-sync is an excellent option.

Unless you know that every game will always run at a constant 60fps with no change in frame rate for the rest of the monitor's life, then you will benefit from g-sync with your nvidia card.

Oled is definitely the way to go at some future date but today all that is available are tvs (55inch and bigger) and very specialized very expensive small oled used in stuff like film making (I think they are 12inch or so).

@ [MENTION=13841]ilm;: I haven't seen any OLED monitors around here - didn't know they existed (apart from TV's, of course).

pibbur

I'd also clearly chose IPS over TN.
The response time doesn't matter anymore in that range anyways. I don't think anyone could tell if he is sitting infront of a 1ms or 8ms screen even.
The colors are just much better. I have no experience with VA though.

Regarding Gsync:
Gsync essentially replaces Vsync (software) with a hardware solution.
You save a couple of frames by using it over vsync.
The biggest effect is apparently at around 40-60 fps. If you got more, you might not see the difference as the picture is refreshing too fast anyways.
In addition you'll probably go for a 144Hz screen anyways these days. And with that you will see even less difference.

I am not saying that gsync is crap. But in most cases the additional costs of the monitor, which are likely 100-200€ compared to a similar model without gsync are not worth it and better invested into a better graphics card. Unless you are already rocking a gtx 1080 ti and desparately trying to find a way to improve the performance even further even if you'd hardly see any effect.

I would get a TN monitor after watching a couple videos on the differences.

Yes good idea, make his choice as difficult as possible. Haha

10 years ago IPS was the clear winner. I think it is still better especially in color, however TN came a long way too I assume

Last edited:
I would get a TN monitor after watching a couple videos on the differences.

Well, I saw 2 screens side by side by the same company and basically the same model.
The one was IPS 60Hz and the other TN 144Hz.

Had a really hard time to tell the 60 and 144Hz apart. IPS compared to TN was a pretty clear case though.

Of course especially the refresh rate is also something which is very subjective.

Yes good idea, make his choice as difficult as possible. Haha

Well, it's not like I expected a 100% consensus.

pibbur who at least can be sure that no matter what he is bound to select a monitor that some watchers agree with.

G-Sync is a nice to have when you need it, and if money isn't an issue I don't see why you wouldn't get it. But the bang for your buck can be weak if money is a concern.

@pibbur: Unless you're into competitive esports, you can probably safely shelf the TN as an option. It sounds like you want to splurge for something nice, that would be the IPS.

For reference, I have a couple monitors. I love my ultra-widescreen VA for action/isometric RPGs, I think the extra screen space does improve immersion. I have a 240hz TN for FPS gaming as well, it does make a difference when you're competitive. I don't own an IPS currently, but it's my next monitor purchase.

The sweet spot seems to be 144hz. You get strong diminishing returns on anything above. I'm not sure a 4k monitor is really all that beneficial, can your eyes even notice the difference on the smaller screen? I would also research HDR, that seems to be the latest thing but I haven't looked enough into personally to recommend it or not.

All my personal opinion of course, others may vary.

Well, I saw 2 screens side by side by the same company and basically the same model.
The one was IPS 60Hz and the other TN 144Hz.

Had a really hard time to tell the 60 and 144Hz apart. IPS compared to TN was a pretty clear case though.

Of course especially the refresh rate is also something which is very subjective.

Definitely subjective. For me, I am just thinking that the technology will (of course) keep getting better. So, since TN is the cheapest, works fine when it comes to gaming, and while it isn't the absolute best when it comes to the colors, I would then be on the lookout for new technologies and monitors coming out in the future. And buy one of those eventually. I think the OLED monitors maybe might make a big move in the future, for instance.

Here is one video I watched that I thought was excellent in offering practical advice between the two, and what is important depending on what you intend to do.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8Y26Uq07Kw

Just watched that video and it certainly was correct in the context of it's time, which is 2015 when it was made. But since then basically the cons of IPS (price+response time) became negligible.

So as a reference search I checked ASUS monitors with 1440p on 27"
You got a selection of 6 monitors (these are all of them, I didn't cherrypick, I used alternate which has good prices and very good filtering options https://www.alternate.de/html/listi...er_5298=1440.0&filter_5296=26.9#listingResult
):

ASUS PB277Q
Panel: TN
Reaction Time: 1ms
Refresh Rate: 75Mhz
Snyc: -
Price: 289€

ASUS MG278Q
Refresh Rate: 144Hz
Snyc: AMD Freesync
Price: 439€

ASUS MG279Q
Panel: IPS
Reaction Time: 4ms
Price: 519€

ASUS PG278QR
Snyc: NVIDIA G-Sync
Price: 539€

ASUS PG279Q
Refresh Rate: 165Hz
Price: 779€

ASUS PG27VQ
Price: 829€

Of course these specs don't reflect the overall quality of the screens but I think it shows a tendency. IPS makes a monitor slightly more expensive. The response times are extremely fast (4ms vs 1ms of TN, the video mentioned 10ms as bad if I am not mistaken, we are well past that, not a single monitor was that slow)
And G-Sync adds quite a bit of additional cost

And just for fun (yeah, I am that kind of guy :p ), I did the same now for ACER Screens:

https://www.alternate.de/html/listi...er_5298=1440.0&filter_5296=26.9#listingResult

Acer XG270HUA
Refresh Rate: 60Hz
Price: 329€

Acer XZ271UA
Price: 399€

Acer XF270HUA
Price: 429€

Acer Predator XB271HUA
Panel: TN+Film (whatever that means)
Price: 569€

Acer Predator Z271U
Price: 679€

Acer Predator XB271HU
Price: 739€

Acer Predator XB271HUT
Price: 899€

Result: Pretty much the same story. IPS makes it a bit more expensive, without breaking the bank. Adding NVIDIA G-Sync makes it hurt.

Back
Top Bottom