What comforts you?

If I can't sleep, mostly due to over-caffeinated body syndrome, then I use pink noise and I'm generally out in a few.

Outside of that, petting animals brings me comfort. I have 3 cats and a dog and generally have at least one lying close by at all times.

I am not a complex guy so my comforts aren't exotic.

1. Dogs
2. Sound of rain falling
3. Warm bed
4. Comfort foods
5. Talking with friends on Discord

Overall its the dogs though. I don't think I would still be alive without them around to keep me going.

Still serious, can't believe I didn't write it in previous post.
Spamming&trolling. Calms me down. To some it's obvious, but it's only right to confirm it.

It's not just that, it's also reading very interesting posts. For example since he posted just now, posts by @wolfgrimdark; - we don't share the same taste (yet! ;)), but can't remember he made a post I didn't enjoy reading. I mean written posts, screenshots can be hit&miss.:)

Cold dark rainy nights and trolling forums & social media to piss people off.:cool:

It's a mix of things for me, really. Wolfgrimdark mentioned rain, and I can certainly agree to that. There's also a certain comfort in the season of winter, memories of snow, and a warm room with cocoa.

Also, I get a certain comfort out of playing older titles, usually 90s games or ones with 2D sprite based art. Almost every year I usually go back to something from my younger days and replay an older game, it's a bit of a tradition I sort of developed. Kind of like rewatching a TV show or movie every so often.

The rain is something I didn't include with my prior post, nothing at all comes close for me than picking up a great book and settling down for a long reading session when a storm is going on outside.

I envy that kind of perception ;)

You can perceive it too. Just think of how you're living in grace, always taken care of. Even things that at the time seem bad, turn out to serve you in the long run. You may not realize it at the time, but eventually you can get to a place where even things that seem evil in your mind you know are serving you. Serving you to transcend the thinking of the mind and feel more at peace with the world. We are beings of pure love and the only thing keeping that partially unknown to us is a lack of awareness and understanding of that fact.

I'd recommend anyone who is troubled by thoughts occasionally to watch Mooji on YouTube. Just pick out some videos of his, some of his satsangs and follow along. It requires no effort, no practice, no religion, no meditations, nothing at all but listening and being aware. Once you start to "smell" the bad thoughts rising you can learn to discern that it's coming from the trickster mind (known as the devil in Christianity, or shaitan, etc.) and let those thoughts pass by like clouds in the sky. It might sound a bit weird but it's helped me tremendously, especially after having a recent schizophrenic episode (which also served me, showing me even spending 3 days trapped in mind hell, that God's grace is always with me to protect me). You don't even have to call it God, you can call it the Truth, the Absolute, Pure Consciousness, the Universe, etc.. It's very open to anyone who takes a peek inside to see what we really are. Namaste. :)

The rain is something I didn't include with my prior post, nothing at all comes close for me than picking up a great book and settling down for a long reading session when a storm is going on outside.
Oh yeah, steady rain outside... how could I forget that?

Being on a boat all by myself in a storm + really cold weather. Or i think of a deep forest in the winter + a comfy tent where i feel safe. Works wonders. It started with imagining a spaceship and the unknown outside, kind of the same idea.

At first i didn't think much about why it was comforting, but it's really easy if you just think about it for a minute. The sea/forest thing and storms/cold weather has most likely to do with going back to the fetus state. The ship = the womb (rocking motion etc), the storm and the cold = the outside.

I think it's mostly about balancing, and that gets you comfortable. If it's just 100% cozy and nice, warm etc the brain finds it lazy, unimaginative, non-realistic, takes you out of the experience. It needs to be balanced. Some days i add a lot of fear to the experience and it works better.

Anything by H.P Lovecraft puts me to sleep too i've discovered, thinking about stories or listening to an audio book. It's also shifting, the brain gets bored with the same thing over and over, i have to switch between various scenarios.

This is something i started with in the recent years, maybe 5 years ago.. I had severe sleeping problems for a while, so i guess it started back then. Took a while to figure out and to "tweak" to my preference.

I sometimes like to imagine the same things @vurt;. Except I'll think about robbers invading my house, but I have a very secret entrance to a panic room in my closet. Then from there, it's all soundproofed, and there's an elevator that takes me to an underground parking garage with a selection of vehicles (and disguises in case I need them). Then a long tunnel, miles long, again, all soundproofed. And I escape into a vehicle and the tunnel comes out in some secret location. Or the room is totally soundproof and I have all the essentials there and they don't even know I'm inside the room. Fireplace, computer, wi-fi, etc.. I love that scenario and find it very relaxing and comforting. Something to do with hiding from the burglars that definitely replicates the womb in some way. I've had that scenario for more years than I can remember and it's always soothing.

I sometimes like to imagine the same things @vurt;. Except I'll think about robbers invading my house, but I have a very secret entrance to a panic room in my closet. Then from there, it's all soundproofed, and there's an elevator that takes me to an underground parking garage with a selection of vehicles (and disguises in case I need them). Then a long tunnel, miles long, again, all soundproofed. And I escape into a vehicle and the tunnel comes out in some secret location. Or the room is totally soundproof and I have all the essentials there and they don't even know I'm inside the room. Fireplace, computer, wi-fi, etc.. I love that scenario and find it very relaxing and comforting. Something to do with hiding from the burglars that definitely replicates the womb in some way. I've had that scenario for more years than I can remember and it's always soothing.

Haha interesting, i have one a bit similar actually, i'm in the back of a car, concealed. I've committed some horrible crime (…don't make me mention what, lol) but i have the protectors who drives the car and who are 100% committed to get me out of this. The car is super safe, i have all i need there and i don't really need to worry about the driver either, it's per default imagined as someone who's unbeatable, super hero type.

It's kind of hilarious when you start breaking it down into what it is, what it means and why it works.

Cars and trains are awesome for sleep btw (i dont mean while driving lol).. that rocking motion is again something that resembles the fetus state i guess. I remember reading about that ages ago, why some people have such an easy time falling asleep on trains etc.

There was a recent research article that found woman prefer having dogs in their bed than their significant other. The article included a bit more context as to why people in general find dogs relaxing...

I am not a complex guy so my comforts aren't exotic.

1. Dogs
2. Sound of rain falling
3. Warm bed
4. Comfort foods
5. Talking with friends on Discord

Overall its the dogs though. I don't think I would still be alive without them around to keep me going.

Haha interesting, i have one a bit similar actually, i'm in the back of a car, concealed. I've committed some horrible crime (…don't make me mention what, lol) but i have the protectors who drives the car and who are 100% committed to get me out of this. The car is super safe, i have all i need there and i don't really need to worry about the driver either, it's per default imagined as someone who's unbeatable, super hero type.

It's kind of hilarious when you start breaking it down into what it is, what it means and why it works.

Cars and trains are awesome for sleep btw (i dont mean while driving lol).. that rocking motion is again something that resembles the fetus state i guess. I remember reading about that ages ago, why some people have such an easy time falling asleep on trains etc.

Yo, I have the car scenario too! Except it's more like an RV. I like pretending I'm either in the RV in one of the cubbyhole beds with everything I need or in a limo with tinted windows and it's very safe, etc.. It is funny, but they're surprisingly relaxing thoughts.

My wife and I get up most mornings at 4:45 and head to the gym...So the Gym is big to me in comforting me.

Movies The Watchman, Fight club...seen them 100 times each or more.

Music: the fact that there are still really creative people that out there still doing what they do even if they are not getting rich off it. Maybe better said because they care about what they care about and make music about it...and fuck the world.

Lastly that I love my best friend and wife...the fact we have are more in love after all this time and planning to move way up north away from the world sooner than later and just live...not bad at almost 50 to be able to walk away from this fucked up world.

There was a recent research article that found woman prefer having dogs in their bed than their significant other. The article included a bit more context as to why people in general find dogs relaxing…

I'm very fond of having my dog in bed as well :)

Even though he's the primary cause of poor sleep patterns. I just don't have the heart to send him away.

The ex and I raised him to sleep under the covers - and that's what he loves, so....

I find as I grow older that the reverse order works much better.

I think you might be onto something, these days I do prefer to eat something straight after sex! Preferably something meaty and greasy :lol:

All this talk about sex.... What's that again?

Naturally, love is the ultimate comfort - but we don't all have immediate access to it :)

I get great comfort in banning people and if that isn’t possible I’ll just moderate someone. Makes me sleep a lot better :)

Back
Top Bottom