Metro Exodus - Being Removed from Steam

A shitty move. They chose epic launcher whatever, i choose daemon tools.

SWWSLCJ.png
I choose it as well but for new Rebel Galaxy :)

Irrelevant game, irrelevant store and irrelevant news.

Just like case of Titanic movie, everyone was superexcited - except me. To this day I haven't seen it, never will and yet noone who did is talking about it. So much for it's relevance outside of mentioning money it milked on nothing.

A lot of teeth gnashing and "I'll show them!" talk in here. Anyone who was truly interested in the game could have preordered it. Not to mention we were warned in advance before it was taken off Steam.

I don't like exclusive deals like this, but I'm not going to deny myself what looks like a really good game because of it.

As for me, and I know your comment wasn't targeted at me, I won't be getting the game because of its steep price right now, which is totally out of my budget. Perhaps, when it gets a good discount in the future (only God knows when...)

Thought I said what needs to be said and for god's sakes. Went some browsing. There is no gaming site that doesn't yell "doomsday" over this utter bullshit. Pick any. Here's an example:
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019-01-28-epics-latest-pc-exclusive-is-metro-exodus
Epic's move to snatch up Metro Exodus is "unfair to Steam customers", Valve has said, in response to last night's news of the game switching PC stores for its upcoming release.

League of Legends is not available on Steam nor on Epic. It's a game earning 2 billions of $ per year. And today some silly mainstream turd (timed?) store exclusivity is worldshattering news?
Facebook effect where every mundaness is immediately a scandal I guess. Gimme a break.

The more I think about it, this really doesn't affect me. Normally I don't buy games brand new anyway, but only after they have been out for a while.

But that said, this particular situation is pretty unusual, where the game publisher removes their game from steam after offering the game for pre-order for weeks. That is quite a scummy move - no wonder gamers are pissed.

If I was steam CEO/executives, I would ensure this doesn't happen again by putting in all the future game contracts that by offering their games on steam, they can't remove their game later on like this again. Otherwise, no access to the steam store in the first place...

Also, if steam really wants to play hardball, then just put in an official policy that any games offered exclusively on Epic games store without also being offered on steam, are ineligible to be offered at steam, at any time or any future date. :p..that would be the total war stance.

But I guess steam isn't worried really by Epic games at this point, so that they are still allowing games like Metro Exodus to be offered later on steam after the exclusive period with Epic games ends. Not sure if that is the best competitive move in the long run, but maybe I'm more of a hardcore bastard than they are, lol.

Great News! Everything that hurts this custormer enslaving conopolist called STEAM is good.

I'd prefer to read one day that VALVE had went the way of Standard Oil, but it will work this way, too.

If I was steam CEO/executives, I would ensure this doesn't happen again by putting in all the future game contracts that by offering their games on steam, they can't remove their game later on like this again. Otherwise, no access to the steam store in the first place…

Also, if steam really wants to play hardball, then just put in an official policy that any games offered exclusively on Epic games store without also being offered on steam, are ineligible to be offered at steam, at any time or any future date. :p..that would be the total war stance.

But I guess steam isn't worried really by Epic games at this point, so that they are still allowing games like Metro Exodus to be offered later on steam after the exclusive period with Epic games ends. Not sure if that is the best competitive move in the long run, but maybe I'm more of a hardcore bastard than they are, lol.
That's a sound policy for developers/publishers who take pre-orders & then within a few weeks before the game is to release takes their game off your platform to a competitor.

Not to harsh but fits the action.:nod:
A shitty move. They chose epic launcher whatever, i choose daemon tools.
I choose it as well but for new Rebel Galaxy.

Exclusivity is not about competition and is anti-consumer. If Epic believes in competition then the game should be available on both Steam and Epic Store.

That that that! Let people choose

If Epic lets people choose they will choose Steam which goes against what Epic wants :D

If Epic lets people choose they will choose Steam which goes against what Epic wants :D

Thee shouldst only speaketh f'r yourself, lief sir!

A lot of teeth gnashing and "I'll show them!" talk in here. Anyone who was truly interested in the game could have preordered it. Not to mention we were warned in advance before it was taken off Steam.

I don't like exclusive deals like this, but I'm not going to deny myself what looks like a really good game because of it.

Agreed.

I don't think this really affects anyone who wasn't going to pick up the game. If someone had no plans to purchase Metro: Exodus, and this upsets them, I think they were just looking for reasons to be upset.

Having multiple distribution platforms is a sign of the times, it comes with the territory of digital downloads and the need to have competition. You either adapt, or you don't.

I'll still pick it up, even though I'm heavily against DRM regardless of platform because it's a game I want to experience. Nobody likes DRM, and in particular it's had a negative effect on game performance in the past. But I'm not going to deny myself a game on DRM alone.

I've never gotten into the metro games. Bought a few but they seemed like playing a very linear Fallout with worse graphics and horrible dialog. I would install Epic if I liked the game though.

I did enjoy the earlier two Metro games that I played, but seriously, no where near enough to mess with another platform. Not even close to a difficult choice for me.

Firstly, I think it's likely we'll see this game back on Steam at some point down the road.

Secondly, one other thing that bothers me about another platform/launcher is the trust factor and where will my games be in 2, 4, event 10 years perhaps?

GoG... you have the non-DRM and it's yours... as long as it'll run on your OS, you're good.

For me, Steam has been around now long enough and remained stable and consistent enough that when I buy a game there, I feel pretty confident I can boot it up some years down the road.

Epic... who the hell knows. Maybe they'll be the next Steam and maybe they'll be shutting their virtual doors in 12 months. What might become of my purchases if that happens?

But that said, this particular situation is pretty unusual, where the game publisher removes their game from steam after offering the game for pre-order for weeks. That is quite a scummy move - no wonder gamers are pissed.

If I was steam CEO/executives, I would ensure this doesn't happen again by putting in all the future game contracts that by offering their games on steam, they can't remove their game later on like this again. Otherwise, no access to the steam store in the first place.

That's a sound policy for developers/publishers who take pre-orders & then within a few weeks before the game is to release takes their game off your platform to a competitor.

To be clear, the game isn't being removed from Steam. You just won't be able to purchase it on Steam for the duration of the exclusivity period. Everyone who already purchased it will still have it, and any Steam keys that are still available for purchase on third-party sites should work fine.

There wont be steam keys, they will be turned into epic shit keys

I just dislike having to have two bits of software for a game more and more. You buy the game then need to use a special platform to play it - Bethnet, Epic, Gog, Steam, EA, etc. Suppose a sign of the times. Just like a clean PC and it feels cluttered with all these various game agents … probably all collecting information while being used.

Aye, that rubs me wrong as well, I really prefer to keep a nice, tidy computer and having all these extra programs just goes against my grain. Up to now I've accepted two of them, and I believe that's my limit.

To be clear, the game isn't being removed from Steam. You just won't be able to purchase it on Steam for the duration of the exclusivity period. Everyone who already purchased it will still have it, and any Steam keys that are still available for purchase on third-party sites should work fine.
Yes it's clear already but it's still a dick move as the saying goes.^^

Back
Top Bottom