Endless Space 2 & Endless Legend - New Expansions

I'm in agreement with Dart. GC3 is the best of the bunch, although if they had put in proper turn based combat a lá MoO2 (and changed the tech tree and ship building to match) it would have been even better. At least to me.
Well that was cut out of the final release. I remember reading the problem was about the required time to correct & implement those systems was not ideal for development.

Galactic Civilizations1&2 never had turn based combat either like Master of Orion anyway. You simply moved your fleet they attacked the enemy, and you got the results.

Last edited:
Galactic Civilizations1&2 never had turn based combat either like Master of Orion anyway. You simply moved your fleet they attacked the enemy, and you got thre results.

Yep, but that has always been one of the most requested features though. But like I said then they would also have to change the entire weapon/armor system, it's too linear in it's current form to base combat on. As it is auto resolve makes more sense, because tactical combat would need things like directional armour and shields and different form of attacks to be any fun in my opinion.

Last edited:
The combat is about the worst thing in Endless Legend. I don't like this "everything moves at the same time" approach… it feels odd.

Ah fuck, I don't know how I missed the fact that it's a simultaneous turn-based system. I was waiting to buy it all, but now I'm out. Thanks… :)

What you are looking for is Age of Wonder III, if you didn't play it, with a true turn-based system for battles.

Ah fuck, I don't know how I missed the fact that it's a simultaneous turn-based system. I was waiting to buy it all, but now I'm out. Thanks… :)

What you are looking for is Age of Wonder III, if you didn't play it, with a true turn-based system for battles.

Watch some videos of EL before you pass judgement, I think the combat system is really fun as it is and once you get the hang of it it's not very hard to master.

While AoW III has fun battle system, it is weaker in every other aspect compared to EL.

I believe you both, but I just can't stand it. I just hated it in all the games I tried before, with any form of simultaneous resolution : if I like turn-based combat, it's because of the control I have. Any form of simultaneous necessarily removes a part of this control. It certainly looks more sophisticated here, maybe I'll try it one day.

I believe you both, but I just can't stand it. I just hated it in all the games I tried before, with any form of simultaneous resolution : if I like turn-based combat, it's because of the control I have. Any form of simultaneous necessarily removes a part of this control. It certainly looks more sophisticated here, maybe I'll try it one day.

It doesn't actually take control away from you, because you know in what order the troops get to act. You place your orders, then all units act according to their initiative. So it's not quite the same as other games when all units actually act at once (which is closer to a RTwP system with limited inputs)

Except that you can't do something like :
- Unit U1 attack enemy E1
- if E1 still alive, U2 attack E1 else attack E2
In simultaneous, U2 will attack E1, regardless of the state of E1.
If I understand it in EL, since they add initiative to the system, U2 (with a lower init), simply does not attack, or does some default other attack I think ?, but you are no longer controling it. So less control, no ?

Except that you can't do something like :
- Unit U1 attack enemy E1
- if E1 still alive, U2 attack E1 else attack E2
In simultaneous, U2 will attack E1, regardless of the state of E1.
If I understand it in EL, since they add initiative to the system, U2 (with a lower init), simply does not attack, or does some default other attack I think ?, but you are no longer controling it. So less control, no ?

Yes, correct.

Back
Top Bottom