Anthem - Open Demo Available

Is it a bad thing to write that I also enjoyed Mass Effect Andromeda? Maybe it had to do with waiting for a few patches, but I never had a problem & enjoyed my throughways.

It goes counter to what your outrage associates would like to hear :)

The patches didn't change that much, to be honest. Best part of them would be some of the balance changes that made certain overpowered crafting combinations less obscene.

So true but there is still a few good videos like this one.

Not all YouTube content makers are outrage associates.

The one sore spot about Andromeda for me was the canceled expansions.

Not all YouTube content makers are outrage associates.

True, there are good ones.

However, being fair, objective and sticking to what's relevant without bullshit filler videos every two hours is only profitable if you're exceptional.

The problem with YT is that ignorant bullshit is far, far more profitable if you understand how to appeal to morons by letting them hear what they want to hear.

As for cancelled expansions, that was indeed highly unfortunate. But when the entire gaming audience overreacts and stops supporting the game - that's not too difficult to appreciate.

EA is a business, not a charity.

Is it a bad thing to write that I also enjoyed Mass Effect Andromeda?

Never. It's probably not the popular opinion, but what matters is your opinion. You enjoyed a game that most people probably didn't, and I think there's personal appreciation in that. I myself adore a lot of games that don't get much traction or attention, or are met with middling reviews.

Edit: It's worth noting that Bioware is remarkably involved with Anthem's community. Most of the demo concerns (such as disappearing enemies, the mouse-flight movement, sprinting in town, UI, server downtime, load times, and so on) have been addressed for the full game already. I think the primary concern now is lack of end game content, which they're aware of and working on, currently.

Last edited:
I don't think we'll be seeing too much bespoke end-game content for the first couple of months.

I'm getting the sense that they're mirroring Diablo 3 more than traditional looter shooters or MMOs.

Meaning, the end-game progression will be almost exclusively about playing around with builds, chasing Masterwork/Legendary items and fine-tuning your Javelins.

Games like Diablo 3, Grim Dawn and Path of Exile are the same way. They're about repeating the same content for months or years - chasing optimal loot and character builds.

Since I'm a huge fan of powergaming and the genre in general, I don't really mind - but I'm not sure the Destiny crowd will understand this take on the looter shooter subgenre.

But given the asset fidelity of Anthem - creating new significant content, like Strongholds or Raids will be quite the undertaking, and it's my understanding they've only been developing post-launch content for a few weeks.

It's going to take longer than that to create Stronghold-sized content, I think.

I'm getting the sense that they're mirroring Diablo 3 more than traditional looter shooters or MMOs.

Meaning, the end-game progression will be almost exclusively about playing around with builds, chasing Masterwork/Legendary items and fine-tuning your Javelins.

Games like Diablo 3, Grim Dawn and Path of Exile are the same way. They're about repeating the same content for months or years - chasing optimal loot and character builds.

This is what I'm starting to see, too. Diablo 3 was instantly what came to mind. It's my understanding that the game has taken over five years to develop. If true (and assuming a lot of that time wasn't spent restructuring the game throughout the creation period), we should probably expect Strongholds to take, at the very least, months. As far as Raids are concerned, that may be even longer.

My suspicion is they'll rotate daily or weekly quests to cushion the players in the meantime.

This is what I'm starting to see, too. Diablo 3 was instantly what came to mind. It's my understanding that the game has taken over five years to develop. If true (and assuming a lot of that time wasn't spent restructuring the game throughout the creation period), we should probably expect Strongholds to take, at the very least, months. As far as Raids are concerned, that may be even longer.

My suspicion is they'll rotate daily or weekly quests to cushion the players in the meantime.

Yeah, they keep hinting at something special behind-the-scenes, but I have to say my experience with developers promising that kind of thing, right before launch, isn't too great.

It's not that I necessarily think they're being deceitful - I just doubt they're hiding something THAT special for launch, as that would be a very stupid marketing tactic.

The "shaper storms" or "cataclysms" are likely just changes in spawns and weather visuals. I doubt it will change much beyond that.

But, for my part, I'll be fine with a long meaty story and then a little while optimising my character for some coop multiplayer.

I never really expect to stay around indefinitely for games like this, but I'm certainly ready to be pleasantly surprised.

That said, Division 2 is coming up less than a month afterwards, and I have a very, very good feeling about that game. I think it will end up being my primary looter shooter for quite a while.

It's good demo is available.

It's not good I don't have time for demos of yet another irrelevant mmo, in this case it's Destiny clone. My time is reserved for singleplayer demos and games.

Back
Top Bottom