Divinity: Original Sin - Two New Interviews

Was there a hint in any interview about an ETA of the AI Patch besides of "soon"?

Was there a hint in any interview about an ETA of the AI Patch besides of "soon"?

Not sure about an interview but at the official forums Swen talked about August.

Edit: OK, it was not at the official forums but right here at PC Gamer so actually in one of the interviews posted here. I guess I just read about it at the official forums earlier so I got slightly confused (too much info and all that... ;) ).

Last edited:
Part of the article mentions that the game was funded by both KS and early access. Does that mean they didn't need to put their own funds into the development? If that's the case, every unity they sell is profit, correct? I hope so. Because i would like them to continue to make this type of game. And maybe other developers will follow their lead.

No, They definitely put some of their own funds into developing the game (remember they'd already been working on it for a couple years before they even launched the KS). I think they had mentioned that they were using profits from Dragon Commander for additional D:OS funding, too. Anyway, pretty sure I read somewhere that they have already "broken even" days ago, and so every sale from now on should be profit for them.

I also would love for them to make this type of game again; even an expansion would be great. It's not perfect, but it is a really great RPG; quite possibly one of the best I've ever played, but I still have a long way to go.

One of the interviews posted here at The Watch recently estimated the cost of development at $4.4 million. Kickstarter grossed them a little under $1 million, if I recall correctly, but the Kickstarter folks and Amazon Payments take a sizeable chuck of that.

So, they certainly did use their own money. That interview also mentioned they would soon reach the break-even point.

Actually, Swen said it cost 4M euros to make (in last week's Eurogamer interview), which is roughly $5.5M USD.

Also, in a blog post from last year, Swen mentioned they had 1 "investor" for D:OS:
http://www.lar.net/2013/02/04/larian-kickstarter/
Presumably the investor is taking some cut of the profits?

Still, with D:OS being #1 selling game on Steam for 11 straight days now, at $40 apiece, they must be massively in the black by now.

Right now in finnish gaming forums sin is constantly a top topic so its getting lots of attension. On biggest gaming mag forum its the game that is most talked about. I think its going to get good review in the magazine.

Interesting, thanks! ;)

Sounds like there are some issues with it, but it's early days. If a modder can make this happen partially this soon - chances are there will be a proper mod once I get around to playing it.

Could be a really fantastic experience in coop!

True, but I also can't help to think that if the fans asked Larian for them to implement a 4-6 coop, that they would answer are call. That probably would be the best way to go to get it done right. Who knows, it might be one of their future DLCs or surprises that they mentioned for the near future. This company is one of the few that seems to listen to the fans and work with us.

By the way, does anyone know if Larian has gone IPO?

Larian has not gone IPO.

Haha, they probably have somewhere around 1/30th the yearly revenue that a company would typically have before doing an IPO.

Back
Top Bottom