Cyberpunk 2077 - E3 Demo Impressions

Now I understand why some people here refused to play FarCry3.
Get over it and adapt! You don't need to see protagonist's backside in every single game. Not that there is something wrong with that…
I have recently been very sceptical about 1st person as well. After my Kingdom Come playthrough I'm quite indifferent now. First person can really work well.

It works well with k/m.
Without k/m, it's… Not sure what word would describe it properly. Annoying?

Right, haven't thought of… how do you call it? Mushrooms?

Well, I fetl relieved when I did read these answers:

Is Cyberpunk 2077 a purely single-player game?

Patrick Mills: Yes, it is.

So there's no multiplayer whatsoever?

Patrick Mills: We have multiplayer in R&D, but the game we're shipping to you, the game you're going to buy is the single-player experience. That's really what we're concentrating on now, the single-player RPG experience. That's what we want to nail down before we start looking at any of these other things.

(…)

So maybe multiplayer will come post-launch?

Patrick Mills: Maybe, no promises. Nothing at launch. At launch we're concentrating on the single-player game. That's what we want to give you.

The questions were direct, and so were the answers. Thanks God no subterfuges were used to answer them, Mr. Patrick Mills emphasized more than once CDPR wants to deliver a single-player experience

Phew…. :)

I might be wrong, but between lines that journalist is an idiot who presses the irrelevant issue.
CDpr is not EA and they stated what they think about "everything mustbe multiplayer with greed practices" already on Twitter or something similar. They also never gave even a hint of creating mmo garbage like TOR or ESO. A professional journalist should read something about CDpr before asking questions we all already know an answer for.

Browsing through different impressions about the demo, it seems everyone who watched it's closed presentation thinks the same. If I didn't misunderstand something, CP2077 is set to destroy every other game out there. Especially overrated garbage like GTA.
Here's hope demo footage will be made public.

A professional journalist should know that before asking the questions, right, I fully agree with you.

And after seeing/playing the closed demo, a professional journalist should not refrain from asking the questions once again, directly, just to be sure. Remember the game's target audience is us, the players. And that the target audience of that interview is also us, the readers. He should make CDPR the questions we ourselves wanted to do, as I think he did.

Well here is one fans reaction to the closed demo and journalists.

Warning: Contains Graphic Language.

I'm certainly pleased to hear that it is fully intended to be a single player game. What concerns me these days is that we even have to ask such a ridiculous question, it simply defies explanation.

CDpr is not EA and they stated what they think about "everything mustbe multiplayer with greed practices" already on Twitter or something similar. They also never gave even a hint of creating mmo garbage like TOR or ESO. A professional journalist should read something about CDpr before asking questions we all already know an answer for.
They said they wont be talking about multiplayer yet but alluded you never know down the line. So don't rule out an MP expansion or Spinoff in the future for Cyberpunk 2077.

So there’s no multiplayer whatsoever?

Patrick Mills: We have multiplayer in R&D, but the game we’re shipping to you, the game you’re going to buy is the single-player experience. That’s really what we’re concentrating on now, the single-player RPG experience. That’s what we want to nail down before we start looking at any of these other things.

So when you say you’ve got multiplayer in R&D, do you mean in relation to Cyberpunk 2077, or just generally at the studio?

Patrick Mills: In relation to Cyberpunk as well as just generally at the studio.

So maybe multiplayer will come post-launch?

Patrick Mills: Maybe, no promises. Nothing at launch. At launch we’re concentrating on the single-player game. That’s what we want to give you.
But for now no worries from me.
"Worry not. When thinking CP2077, think nothing less than TW3 — huge single player, open world, story-driven RPG. No hidden catch, you get what you pay for — no bullshit, just honest gaming like with Wild Hunt. We leave greed to others."

Cyberpunk 2077 may be the best video game ever made. That may seem like a meaningless statement considering it’s nowhere near release yet, but what we saw of the game at E3 is probably the single most impressive preview we’ve ever been witness to.

https://metro.co.uk/2018/06/13/cyberpunk-2077-preview-game-next-generation-7627025/

Some also comments ( hijacked from resetera)

"They also described how the designer said they wanted to convey things that can only be best conveyed through first person, like the sense of scale of being small and significant in this massive sprawling city, of navigating cramped crowded claustrophobic interiors and places, or looking up to see the towering looming canyons of buildings overhead and looking down to see all the overwhelming amount of details up close

The discussion emphasized that the game absolutely nailed the social divide aspect of cyberpunk, the sense of being a small gear working in your grimy slice of this massive huge world that doesn’t care about you. That the game doesn’t seem like a power fantasy. The perspective, atmosphere, the presentation of authority figures that you interact with like megacorp execs and the trauma teams all making you feel small and outgunned and completely disposable to everyone else more powerful than you

Waypoint also described how during the dialogue in the mission, you’re a side character in the conversation but have dialogue options you can say to inject into the talk. The option that kept coming up was to draw your gun. But it wasn't an instant “pull game and shoot someone” option but rather unholster your gun, to send a message and lead to other options. It sounds way more granular than other games have done

Another cool details was that if you sneak up behind enemies, you can do a non-lethal takedown and then one of your options is to jack into an enemy’s brain and install viruses into their squad’s network that jams stuff or download data

Most notably to me, they talk about how the augmentations - particularly the blade arms that was from the original teaser - are scary to see in a twisted body horror way. That it isn’t just cool, but also unsettling both due to the perspective and the fidelity of the design

"It had that sense of tension that I do not see from RPGs, largely because you're always speaking from a position of power and here it feels like you are so disposable"

"It makes the opportunity you get be like, "oh this could be the one, this could be the one that gets me the foot in the door with the real fixer, the real players" mean something because it so firmly sells that feeling of threat and that feeling of being on the edge, precarity."

Last edited:
They said they wont be talking about multiplayer yet but alluded you never know down the line. So don't rule out an MP expansion or Spinoff in the future for Cyberpunk 2077.

Cyberpunk Online. I mean, the writing is on the wall here… Iwinski loves Rockstar and they've made a shitload of money from it, they have ( at least somewhat) similar structure, and they're planning to release it some time after SP.

How exactly they plan to monetize it remains to be seen, but CDPR is treading on very thin ice here ( given how they've openly criticized other publishers for it).

I wouldn't be surprised if they've already been down the online route with this game, hit a brick wall, and decided to scale back and stick to what they know, for now.

Now they have features like time slowing which would seem incompatible with a multiplayer environment. I wouldn't be surprised if their online ambitions come in another product, like ESO.

Looking forward to seeing actual gameplay. I'm interested not only for the setting but the promise of a deep implementation of the pen and paper ruleset. Would be fascinating as hell if a modern RPG in this vein adapts really deep PnP rules.

Some impressions from Hayden Dingman ( PCworld)

First time out and Cyberpunk has better shooting mechanics than Fallout ever has. Even has ballistics penetration. Fancy.

This Cyberpunk demo is potentially the most impressive demo I've seen in six years at E3. It's jaw-dropping. We walked outside our apartment onto the streets of Night City and there were at least a hundred people milling around, all looking completely natural. It's the most realistic city I've ever seen pulled off in a game.
I'm not kidding or exaggerating when I say I've literally never seen anything like it. I honest to god wouldn't even have believed game tech had progressed to a point where this was possible.

This must be that city building technology they received a grant for.

Last edited:
Now they have features like time slowing which would seem incompatible with a multiplayer environment.
They did it in Max Payne III. Pretty simple actually, when you use it while looking directly at someone then that person is also in slow motion. And also any other person looking at person affected by it. You had this crazy chain reaction at times with enough people close by.

I wouldn't be surprised if their online ambitions come in another product, like ESO .
Don't think that's viable for them, quite yet. They've almost tripled in size, but nowhere near amount of people for that kind of project. Or they would have to cancel everything.

Today planned interviews:
> Day 2: 13/06/2018
> 10:50PM CEST / 1:50PM PST – Xbox Live
> 12:45AM CEST / 3:45PM PST – Twitch Live

I expect more of the same we already had.

They did it in Max Payne III. Pretty simple actually, when you use it while looking directly at someone then that person is also in slow motion. And also any other person looking at person affected by it. You had this crazy chain reaction at times with enough people close by.

Don't think that's viable for them, quite yet. They've almost tripled in size, but nowhere near amount of people for that kind of project. Or they would have to cancel everything.

It's one thing to implement bullet time in a third person shooter with very controlled environments. I think it would be a nightmare to try and implement in an fps open world. You could be getting caught up in other people's time slowing left and right, and would it affect passing vehicles, trains, etc? I guess we'll see, but I'm not sure it could work. Maybe if it was team-based PvE multiplayer, rather than MMO style.

If they are hoping to make it multiplayer, they better have built it with that it mind. It would be one hell of a task to retrofit multiplayer to a game of this scale built for single play.

I don't think they'll make such expansion for CP2077, but mmo spinoff is never off the table - gwent was never supposed to happen outside of TW3 yet they made a spinoff TCG.

But spinoff of what exactly? We saw CP2077 on E3, but CDpr plans were *two* AAA singleplayer titles - where's the other one?
Also, why CP2077 spinoff, why not the world of witcher?
CDpr will create mmo of their own for sure. The thing is they want to shake existing trends - if they cannot compete with wow/lol/maplestory world domination when it comes to mmos, they won't bother. I'm saying they won't be making destiny trash clone or another empty promises overhyped garbage. Unless their CEO steps down.

Back
Top Bottom