PoE Pillars of Eternity preload

Pillars of Eternity
Seems to be getting a rough reception in Metacritic user reviews. Strange, since the game isn't out yet. Are people really that eager to bitch about unreleased games?

I'll go with yes and/or Metacritic being totally borked. None of the negative score left any text reviews and the total rating keep changing up and down (between 80 and 83) each time I refresh the page as if someone was removing his entries.

The user text reviews are currently all 10s and one 9.

Yeah, the user score is much higher now - it was 6 when I checked. Still, it has yet to be released, so I'd take everything with a grain of salt.

Like in internet movie database, many people tend to give a very low score to any movie which they don't like. And then there are those annoying people who think that every movie they enjoy deserves 10. Luckily these two extremes seem to cancel out eachother :)

Like in internet movie database, many people tend to give a very low score to any movie which they don't like. And then there are those annoying people who think that every movie they enjoy deserves 9 or 10. Luckily these two extremes seems to cancel out eachother :)

I think that used to be the case for IMDB, but the last few years - all big title movies have been getting increasingly higher initial scores - and they tend to end up at least 1-2 points above what they really deserve, or at least I can't seem to find any sense compared to what it used to be.

Used to be that big and hyped movies started out really high - but after a few months, they more or less ended up where you'd expect, once you get past the spectacle and excessive marketing. That's not really the case anymore, and we're seeing truly dreck movies end up with 7+ scores - years after release.

User's score is kind of crap when there is no control (i.e. you can't validate if the person played the game or not)….but IGN Russia broke the review embargo and gave 10/10 to the game (1 more hour until said embargo drops).

I think that used to be the case for IMDB, but the last few years - all big title movies have been getting increasingly higher initial scores - and they tend to end up at least 1-2 points above what they really deserve, or at least I can't seem to find any sense compared to what it used to be.

Used to be that big and hyped movies started out really high - but after a few months, they more or less ended up where you'd expect, once you get past the spectacle and excessive marketing. That's not really the case anymore, and we're seeing truly dreck movies end up with 7+ scores - years after release.

Yeah the place isn't what it used to be and maybe the effect i was describing isn't happening so much anymore. Imo one of the best examples of this phenomenon is how these "new" batman films still hold such high scores. Dark knight rises for instance has a user score of 8,5 which is batshit insane.

Imdb is still a good database for movies and whatnot, but scores have become quite unreliable. I've actually begun recalculating imdb scores for the newer more popular films. Just subtract 1 or 2 from the score and it makes more sense…

Yeah the place isn't what it used to be and maybe the effect i was describing isn't happening so much anymore. Imo one of the best examples of this phenomenon is how these "new" batman films still hold such high scores. Dark knight rises for instance has a user score of 8,5 which is batshit insane.

Imdb is still a good database for movies and whatnot, but scores have become quite unreliable. I've actually begun recalculating imdb scores for the newer more popular films. Just subtract 1 or 2 from the score and it makes more sense…

Yes, I do the same thing. Just about 2 points from all the big budget titles, and you'll end up with a reliable score - unless it's one of those really, really rare ones that are actually really good :)

Metacritics should allow .5 scoring and display median, not mean value.
Much more stable agains the 0 and 10 voters.

Review embargo is off. Which means spoilers galore!

I'm not all that interested in these crowd-scoring systems. I still prefer to read a selection of well-written reviews. I'm quite happy if some of those well-written reviews come from the public, but I don't find the mean numerical score from the masses very useful.

The extras can be downloaded from Obsidian now too, but the site is extremely overloaded and slow. Surprise….

And the Steam preload appears to have been not very helpful. It's downloading about 1.6 GB… Very slowly (if at all) I might add. Not a stellar launch.

Hopefully GoG users are having a better time of it…

EDIT: It finished in about 20 minutes. And runs. Most of the boni were downloaded already, but the novella is missing, and is apparently not ready.

Last edited:
It's been perverted by trolls and hackers.
Nah, it's been hacked and trolled by pervs. :D

EDIT: It finished in about 20 minutes. And runs. Most of the boni were downloaded already, but the novella is missing, and is apparently not ready.
So you want to read the book first play the game in about a year or two?
Make it vice versa like I did above. ;)

You mean once per 24 hours when you just have to take the toilet break you'd bring the book (on your phone ofc as it's digital) with you. :p

Back
Top Bottom