Master of Magic Remake - Announced

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
DSOGaming reports on another announcement from Slitherine which trumpets a classic game remake; Master of Magic. Screenshots at the link.

In Master of Magic, you take up the role of one of 14 unique and diverse great wizards who compete with each other to dominate the worlds of Arcanus and Myrror. Players can choose from different schools of magic and fantasy races to command, then lead their minions and expand their influence and power across the land.

[...]

More information.

I don't like cheap looking flash animation with unconvincing lip sync. Hopefully the game is faithfully remade as its a good one.

Slitherine - DLC R US

Think I like the old intro better:

It was really just made to run on modern machines with modern conveniences previously, as well a popular old mod being sold as DLC.

Going hexagonal might work out well, here.
But then, everybody and their mum are going hexagonal in TBS these days...
(Will we soon have blobbers on a hex grid? That might even work!)
Aside from that, this looks rather nice and really close to the original. Too close, actually, in that city screen - would rather have something that looks at least somewhat close to the same city on the world map, maybe slowly spreading out from a central tower rather than just a huge empty field surrounded by walls slowly being filled in...

I'm not old enough to appreciate this, but it looks terrible. Still, by the sounds of it this was likely a pretty good game 30 years ago, so for those who care, enjoy.

Eh, this time I'm not holding my breath. I've been to hyped about MoM remakes, either literally or in a spiritual sense, too many times now.

I'm guessing that this one will join the crowd of all the others, that are..."pretty decent" but still fails to capture the right feeling & enjoyment of the original.

Yes about damn time they announced it. It's an instant day one buy for me. As for being better then the original I doubt many members will feel that way due to nostalgia.

See I love this genre so even if it's another "pretty decent" but still fails to capture the right feeling & enjoyment of the original flop, I'll enjoy playing it all the same.

I thought this game had already been remade.
No they just released some new content and upgraded an older mod to the original version. The mod I believe was called Master of Magic: Caster of Magic.

Yes about damn time they announced it. It's an instant day one buy for me. As for being better then the original I doubt many members will feel that way due to nostalgia.

Well, it's undeniable that nostalgia plays some role in the whole thing. Yet, I can't help feeling that's not the heart of the issue. Personally, I feel that for me it's more about having found my perfect "sweet spot" in a strategic fantasy civ-clone.

Not too difficult, not to easy. Not too simple, not too complex. Not too much spellcasting focus, not too much army focus. Not too "story driven", not too "story lacking". and so on, and so on.

I've played tons of games that follows basically the same "recipe" but I've never come across one that didn't have at least some aspect that I felt there was either too much of or too little.

Just nostalgia? Who can say.:S

So many hours poured into the original. I'll eat my hat if they can give me that just one more hour feel to the game... I'm not holding my breath though

There is no way that it could possibly recapture the original magic of MOM because I'm no longer a 19 year old living in my dorm room who has only recently learned about the 4X genre.

Rather then trying to recreate the game, I would hope that it would just work on trying to make a good 4X spellcasting game. Age of Wonders 2 pulled it off pretty well, but there's certainly room for others to try.

I don't need this to recapture any MoM magic and transport me back a few decades. I just need it to be a decent 4x fantasy game because there have been far too few fantasy 4x games in recent years.

The combination of Slitherine and MuHa has the possibility of this being a good game. Even if you didn't like Thea, it was pretty well executed and even though Slitherine has published some pretty poor games, they also occasionally publish some pretty good ones.

Fingers crossed.

The 3 Slitherine games I have played have all been mechanically sound, but very spartan when it came to the game's visual presentation. This looks pretty much the same. MOM was a great game when it was released. How an updated version without great visuals can compete with something like Age of Wonder 3 or Endless Legend remains to be seen. At least the recent Masters of Orion remake had high quality visuals to boast.

The 3 Slitherine games I have played have all been mechanically sound, but very spartan when it came to the game's visual presentation. This looks pretty much the same. MOM was a great game when it was released. How an updated version without great visuals can compete with something like Age of Wonder 3 or Endless Legend remains to be seen. At least the recent Masters of Orion remake had high quality visuals to boast.

Slitherine is largely a publisher. The graphics of their games is not a constant. Command Modern Operations, for example, is quite modern. How the game looks is more dependent on the actual developer, so see Thea for a baseline.

Slitherine is largely a publisher. The graphics of their games is not a constant. Command Modern Operations, for example, is quite modern. How the game looks is more dependent on the actual developer, so see Thea for a baseline.

I've played Thea, Qvadringa and Sanctus Reach, and what I said holds, IMO for all 3 games and a lot of other games from the publisher which I considered buying like Gladius, Field of Glory 2, and Fantasy General 2. I checked out Comand Modern Operations on the Steam Storm and would say in comparison to the modern Masters of Orion, it looks visually very plain to me. That's not to say its not functional or modern, it just doesn't compare in my eyes to art direction and graphics of an Age of Wonders 3 or Endless Legends. I think in general Slitherine games have a much smaller budgets and development teams.

I am playing caster of magic right now for windows!
So well balanced! So many options!
There are so many things that MoM did so well! If they are faithful to the game, but add more game options, with updated graphics and better sound (The sound was great in MoM, but could be better quality nowdays), then this will be an instanta buy!

I must admit the graphics they have shown look a little cheap, but it would still be an improvement.

So many MoM clones over the years, but none have truly captured it! See how this one goes.

Back
Top Bottom