Visiting Australia.. possiblity in August need travel advice!

GothicGothicness

SasqWatch
So this is actually started in another thread.. going to dump it in here:

Thank you, that's what we are planning to do, how is Sydney at that time? Probably pretty cold I guess? being from Sweden it doesn't matter that much I guess, but we'd also have to do some swimming and diving and such if we are going to Australia.. otherwise it appears kind of pointless, and I guess that would be possible going up north..

We are also planning to visit some small islands like the cook islands, anyone been there?

Hmm, I guess I will create another thread for this…

Last edited by a moderator:
So this is actually started in another thread.. going to dump it in here:

Thank you, that's what we are planning to do
Huh? You're gonna what?
Would it hurt to make a special new thread with some glitter and sparkles where you spell Australia correctly in the title? :)

how is Sydney at that time? Probably pretty cold I guess? being from Sweden it doesn't matter that much I guess
Yeah, Sydney and Melbourne have pretty random weather. Since 80% of Australias population lives on the coast you'll never be that far from a beach. I'd say New South Wales beaches are better for surfing but Victorias are better for walking. If you want better chance of sun you'd probably head to Queensland.

but we'd also have to do some swimming and diving and such if we are going to Australia.. otherwise it appears kind of pointless, and I guess that would be possible going up north..
Yeah. I haven't been up north since I was a kid, but that's where the American style theme parks are and also the Great Barrier Reef was pretty awesome once. Really not sure what state its in, but people were getting worried about its destruction way back when.

I'd worry less about sharks and more about jellyfish. If you can, try to find out if its jellyfish season and if your planned beach is closed because of Bluebottles or whatever.

We are also planning to visit some small islands like the cook islands, anyone been there?
I don't think so. You can get some pretty awesome cheese from King Island way down south, but that's about my knowledge of the islands.

I think anywhere that populated by humans is going to be pretty lame and void of natural beauty. We really do just ruin everything.

If you're into hiking and can handle 5 day hikes into the wilderness (carrying all your food and water with you) you might get to see the land in its natural state. There's some beautiful rainforests right on the NSW border (Where they literally bulldozed trees along the border line), the Grampians has its moments, there's some beach hikes where at sunset little purple crabs all come out of the sand and party which can be pretty magical. I was once in the desert, I forget where, but there was a shallow lake and if you stood very still in the middle of it at night it looked like you were surrounded by stars!

Last edited:
all of Sir James comments make sense. Re cook islands if you mean the ones I think you do they are actually the otherside of NZ from Australia, long way away!

James is a typical southerner, for him, most of Australia barely exists!! :) If you want beaches, surf, rainforests, reefs, bush, then all of that can be found quite easily in Queensland (where I live)!! Our winter- June, July, August- would not differ much from your summer, especially if you visit places like Cairns (for the reef). From Brisbane/Gold Coast (where you'll find beautiful beaches, surf, rainforests, etc) to Cairns is a 2 hour flight, a 2 day drive, or a scenic rail trip over 2-3 days. At times, Jellyfish are more of a problem than sharks, but not usually in August. Sydney is a crappy large city with mediocre beaches, not that I'm biased in any way!! :)

I went to Cairns mid-July and it was very warm, but not too hot.

I'd recommend the 5-day open diver course. It's amazing.
1.5 days in the pool learning how to breathe, how to use the equipment.

Then 3 days at sea at the Great Barrier Reef.
3 dives a day + 1 night dive and also some snorkeling time.

Best experience in Australia when I went there.

However, I would also recommend Kakadu National Park near Darwin (I'm just not sure if it's rain season in August, but if it is, then don't go :D)

Perth is nothing special in itself, but there are some nice nearby places. Rottnest Island is great for a day trip (No cars allowed and you just cycle around the island and lie down on a beach or something). Margaret River has good wine tasting and a great atmosphere (but might be a bit cooler in August than when I went in early November). North of Perth you have some amazing secluded beaches with white sand and going further north you have some dolphin swimming things, but I didn't go that far up.

If you like cities, I would recommend Melbourne, but it would be between 5-10 degrees I think in August if I remember correctly. So Sydney should be slightly warmer.

Let me know if you have any questions on these.

That actually might be a good place to visit ? :) thanks for the tip.

July, August- would not differ much from your summer, especially if you visit places like Cairns (for the reef). From Brisbane/Gold Coast (where you'll find beautiful beaches, surf, rainforests, etc)

What temperature are we talking about in that case? :) Because summer here is very unpredictable.

The temp will vary; you are talking about a distance of nearly 2000 km between say the Gold Coast and Cairns. Typical temps would be 10-24 GC (give or take a degree or 2) and 18-30 up in Cairns during our winter. Unseasonal weather is always possible. I'm sure you could find more specific details online.

Thanks, is there anywhere else I should visit or consider to visit during the trip ?

Lady elliot was great. The best things are the barrier reef, rain forests etc. Everything above Brisbane basically.

Melbourne/Sydney and surroundings were just okay. I mean nothing we Europeans also got here.

Ps: Don't forget the meter maids on the gold coast

Yes, as I've said before, Syd and Melb are just big cities; nothing you won't have seen elsewhere. I'd strongly suggest a visit to Steve Irwin's Australia Zoo which is a 2 hour drive north of Brisbane. Day trips from Bris are available. It all depends on just how much you want to spend!! :)

Ah hell, point her to a shark beach or spiders' grove and get over with it! :evilgrin:

Errr... I ment... Inform her where *not* to go...

Hmm, I object, Melb is not just a big city, about the only place in Australia with good coffee, culture, sport and food! (I might be a touch biased ;) )
In August Queensland would be good, Broome on west coast is lovely and nearby national parks etc. pretty amazing. However the range on the Queensland coast is better and more things for kids (if relevant).

Melb doesn't have REAL sport, just aerial ping pong!! :D :p

Haha, I can see some conflicts here but most people agree on where to go and not to go at least. I'll have to investigate some more discuss with my second half and go into planning mode... after that I'll comeback in this thread with more questions for sure!

GG, you should definitely visit QLD! I just came back from Hamilton Island for a holiday :) Great fun!!!

I reckon Sydney is quite boring during winter… you might have more fun visiting warmer QLD :) Maybe you can drop by Corwin's house and say hi too :p

About Melb vs Syd... I reckon Sydney has much better view but when it comes to food, Melb wins hands down. I still love Sydney more than Melbourne (yes, I'm Sydneysider!) - better weather and much better looking city. I found Melbourne too spread apart and kind of industrial looking in some parts of city. They say shopping is much better at Melbourne but I didn't see much difference to Sydney. But as I said before, Melbourne is so much better when it comes to food - cheaper and more diverse!

How about this travel route this August.

Singpore -> Darwin -> Cairns -> Syndey ?

Is it a good one?

EDIT: Someone said Adelaide and Kangoroo Island is a most see, anyone know about that ?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom