ELEX - ELEX 2 Confirmed

( To me) Risen 3/Gothic III were by far the weakest. Second at least tried to do something outside their comfort zone, last one was too bland, by the book, without it's own charm, creative spark( The Shadows have return…zzzzzz).

IMHO Risen 2 and Gothic 3 were by far the weakest. Risen 2 was trying to appease console players with generic pirate settings ala PotC and more linear approach (because of underdeveloped engine at the time). Risen 3 has better fantasy/pirate world, more variability, better exploration.

We are the Berserkers! We are so angry and we rage, and that's why we're berserkers.

Yes, Berserkers seems to be somewhat off in Elex world for me.

and develop or switch to a new engine instead.

They clearly dont want to do that because that would need much more time to learn and develop new tools for new engine. They are only 30 ppl with tight budget.

So, another Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning in the making?

ELEX will be great, but when ELEX 2 flops the government will be mad as Africanized bees to get their money back.

So, another Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning in the making?
Shouldn't be. Apparently, in Elex, chests don't respawn endlessly. Don't take my word on that though, maybe I heard wrong.

when ELEX 2 flops the government will be mad
You're mixing something. The money developer got from EU is not an investment where EU would hope a product will earn them billions in return. EU is not Rhode Island.
It's practically donation to a project without expecting anything in return except the project being finished and appearing at the market pushing the economy forward. As you might have noticed, EU will never fund the whole thing, just a tiny % of it.

The money developer got from EU is not an investment where EU would hope a product will earn them billions in return. EU is not Rhode Island.
It's practically donation to a project without expecting anything in return except the project being finished and appearing at the market pushing the economy forward. As you might have noticed, EU will never fund the whole thing, just a tiny % of it.

Agree w/ Joxer.
This process is similar to a grant of sorts. If you see past projects there is a lot of "art" stuff that doesn't make any money at all.

Making money is not a requirement for EU grants. Having the proper paperwork at the right stages is. They never evaluate the product, but only evaluate the paperwork.

Making money is not a requirement for EU grants. Having the proper paperwork at the right stages is. They never evaluate the product, but only evaluate the paperwork.

Perfect example of bureaucracy in action. Its what the people want :)

The EU projects I have been involved with always had partners from various countries, so you get to visit those as the meetings are always at a different partner location. All these meetings have been good for is to go out in the evenings and have some fun. The next day, many of the participants had a huge hangover though.
The best one was when we were in an EU project with amongst others the University of Crete. That was a nice trip, it almost felt like a vacation.
Yeah that EU money was well spent ;)

The EU projects I have been involved with always had partners from various countries, so you get to visit those as the meetings are always at a different partner location. All these meetings have been good for is to go out in the evenings and have some fun. The next day, many of the participants had a huge hangover though.
The best one was when we were in an EU project with amongst others the University of Crete. That was a nice trip, it almost felt like a vacation.
Yeah that EU money was well spent ;)

Yes, the entertainment budget - vital for any collaboration ;-) Shhh...don't tell the EU taxpayers.....

Everybody knows that multilateral projects actually profit from having a few beer together. And don't forget coffee breaks. That's where decisions are made.
So this money isn't wasted. :)

Yes, the entertainment budget - vital for any collaboration ;-) Shhh…don't tell the EU taxpayers…..

I don't think EU taxpayers will have anything against it. Not many for sure. I don't.
People are not robots and EU is not EA/Ubi CEO. It's the money well spent.

IMO the whole system is great, needs some enhancement though and definetly less papers. Politicians are supposed to serve people, not lobbyists. And in this case, they seem doing what's right.

Ugh. Risen 2 was highly enjoyable, and my fav of that series. It was creative and clever, in dialogue, gameplay, and environments. The other two were pretty good as well.

Gothic 3 was overly ambitious, buggy as hell (more so than usual), and NPC/community depth was lacking, as there was too much spread too thin. Still a lot of fun to play for some time. But that was the weakest of their releases.

Agree that Risen 2 is the best of the Risen series. It has an interesting character system, humour and great dialogs and characters. I recently replayed the first Risen, but it felt kind of soulless in comparison. I tried the 3rd and I just can't understand why they changed the main character, who is now just a Geralt or Adam Jensen wannabe instead of a witty smartass. Patty was also slutified for some reason, which I found distasteful. The game felt like a never ending grind with the same enemies and with non-stop loot, where as in the 2nd you start of shirtless, broke and advancement is very satisfying.

If you'll go with the Voodoo path, you'll get a some quests where you will have to possess certain NPCs. I don't think I've laughed so hard at a game in my life.

I agree that Risen 2 had the most personality, but I still think Risen 1 was the best overall. It had the best combat by far, and it was also much better balanced than the sequels.

I am looking forward to the first version and wish it was out now. Need a new game.

Have you tried Dead State wolfgrim? Not sure if you're into that sort of thing (zombies, post-apoc, etc.) but it's got some interesting CRPG gameplay.

They clearly dont want to do that because that would need much more time to learn and develop new tools for new engine. They are only 30 ppl with tight budget.

Smaller studios have managed to do much more with some imagination/resourcefulness...remember a video about how they handled it with Satellite Reign with their animation pipeline. Or recent Ninja Theory game.
Imo, it's more a matter of PB being stuck in the past, and not realizing their limitations.
Risen III's "epic" battle scene opening and how it plays out, case in point.

Have you tried Dead State wolfgrim? Not sure if you're into that sort of thing (zombies, post-apoc, etc.) but it's got some interesting CRPG gameplay.

Thanks and checked it out - a bit too much on the zombie thing for me though :)

Thanks and checked it out - a bit too much on the zombie thing for me though :)

I can understand that. I'm not really a zombie guy myself, but I liked the idea of the gameplay. Turns out that humans really are the biggest threat in more ways than one in this game. :)

Back
Top Bottom