Would you like an openworld kung-fu RPG?

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
If you ask, me, hell yes. If Bioware didn't want to continue JE thinking noone will buy that pos, that doesn't mean an audience for it doesn't exist.

In a month from now, Nordic Games aka THQ Nordic will announce the title of what I wrote in the topic on Gamescom. If I learn something more about it in the meantime, I'll add it.

http://wccftech.com/thq-nordic-2-new-titles-gamescom-2017/

The first new announcement is a brand new original IP. This open world RPG is set in a unique universe and will be a post-apocalyptic kung-fu fable.

Yes to "kung-fu" game no to "post-apocalyptic".

"post apocalyptic kung-fu fable"
That's a nice combination of words for sure. Need to know more though.

I would be very interested in Kung-fu action/adventure game with a decent and believable story, full stop, let alone open-world and rpg!

lol, I'm playing a game with a Ninja type character build in a post apocalyptic setting right now, otherwise known as Fallout 3.

I'm not sure if I would want a game focusing on Kung Fu, to be honest. It sounds like it might be way too twitchy and based on reflexes if the combat has all sorts of moves based on timing and so on, I'm not a fan of those types of games. I'd have to know a lot more about the game, I guess is what I'm saying, to determine my level of interest!

Sounds like a disaster in the making, but what the hell, I'm fed up with elves and zombies.

Taking martial arts out their historical context, and particularly pushing them into a dystopian future, usually results in absolute twaddle.

I give you: the unpardonable bollocks of the 'gun kata':

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U02E2sjwlLM&t=1m10s

Only if I could be Bruce Lee traveling thru the old west. Getting into a new adventure every week and looking for a family member.

Equilibrium was actually legit as fuck.

I've asked them for an appointment at Gamescom to get more info on this. They are also showing ELEX and Spellforce 3. Should both be playable.

lol, I'm playing a game with a Ninja type character build in a post apocalyptic setting right now, otherwise known as Fallout 3.

There is H-H combat in fallout 3?

There is H-H combat in fallout 3?
He is probably using one one of the various Fallout 3 mods I never used. Either that our he is just using his bare hands to attack every enemy in the game.:biggrin:
I've asked them for an appointment at Gamescom to get more info on this. They are also showing ELEX and Spellforce 3. Should both be playable.
Can't wait to read your articles as all there games have my interest. As I was a big fan of BioWare's Jade Empire, and I remember Daikatana had a similar setting in the game.

Jeez - get your ad blockers up before going to that site.

I would love an open world martial arts game! Heck, just wrap an RPG around Soul Calibur and I would be happy, though I would be happier with a full 3D environment.

Kung Fu is hard to get right, and easy to get cheesy, both movies and video games. I've probably watched more than 85% of Shaw Bros. films; and though I've enjoyed most of them for what they are, there is a reason they are firmly in the "B Movie" category. But Kill Bill 1 and 2; most of the Bruce Lee classics; good Japanese Samurai films like virtually the entire Zatoichi 26 films, Lone Wolf & Cub; Some of the Sony Chiba films, etc, are good films.

But it is damn difficult to get the martial arts films good and not cheesy; and even more difficult in the game genre to pull this off well.

If they do it right, I'd love a game like that. If wrong, it still might even do OK, like Shaw Bros. cult type of thing. If their heart is really in it, its probably worth a try.

__

I am pretty much in favor of more RPGs of any genre or setting other than generic pseudo-medieval fantasy. I dug the setting of Jade Empire even though I didn't particularly enjoy the gameplay and never actually finished the game.

I tend to find "open world" overrated and would much rather something more story-driven but with branching narratives and C&C. In other words I'd prefer the structure be like Witcher 2 rather than Witcher 3.

So I guess rather than an open world kung-fu action RPG I'd rather have a turn-based tactical RPG that doesn't take place in a Tolkien-esque fantasy world. I suppose Kung-fu probably isn't well suited to TB combat so maybe feudal Japan would be better. Or American frontier. Or really any time or place other than medieval Europe.

TL; DR: No, not really.

Unless it adds magic elements, I fear it'd be similar to how I didn't like Wasteland 2… throwing a shuriken or a flash grenade is just not as cool to me as casting magic missiles or ice storms. The other problem I had with W2 was basically that leveling up (my favorite aspect of RPGs) was boring… just add 5% to a skill here and there (and then the things you encounter get 5% more difficult so basically no real change).

Taking martial arts out their historical context, and particularly pushing them into a dystopian future, usually results in absolute twaddle.

I give you: the unpardonable bollocks of the 'gun kata':

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U02E2sjwlLM&t=1m10s

Nah you just need to take a leap of fate. ;)

I really loved that film. One of the more memorable dystopian scifi films I've seen.

Back
Top Bottom