Dragon Age 4 - Story and Character focused

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
@PCGamesN The next Dragon Age game is in progress and will be story and character focused.

Update, January 25, 2018: BioWare's general manager has offered a teaser about the development of the new Dragon Age game.

Casey Hudson, general manager at Bioware, has tweeted to reveal some new information about the new Dragon Age game. The game's official existence was announced yesterday by executive producer Mark Darrah.

Here's everything we know about Dragon Age 4.

Hudson tweeted to say that the studio has already had "lots of feedback" regarding the project, but that "I think you'll be relieved to see what the team is working on," saying that the game will be "story & character focused."

Those are scant details, but Hudson himself acknowledges it's "too early" to say any more. Kotaku recently reported that, post Anthem, Bioware would be incorporating more 'live' elements into the game, but Hudson says that for Dragon Age, this "just means designing a game for continued storytelling after the main story."

[...]
More information.

Wow.. what an incredible revelation! ;)

Name a modern Bioware game that didn't focus on the story and characters.

It's like revealing that the next Diablo game is going to focus on loot and character advancement or that the next Bethesda title will focus on exploration. :)

Wow.. what an incredible revelation! ;)

Name a modern Bioware game that didn't focus on the story and characters.

It's like revealing that the next Diablo game is going to focus on loot and character advancement or that the next Bethesda title will focus on exploration. :)

The lack of quality gameplay is the real downfall of Bioware.

I have to agree. I haven't really enjoyed a Bioware game for it's gameplay since DA:O.

I like to put that down to Bioware courting a wider audience. I look at what happened to Dead Space 3 (I know not Bioware but an EA game) and have to ask is that even still a survival horror game? Broadening a games appeal always seems to come at the cost of the genre itself and the fans who initially liked the series for what it was. Its this insatiable need to enlarge the audience endlessly that seems to lead to trouble.

The thing is through, that doesn't surprise me in the slightest. I am more puzzled by what anyone gets out of EA games at all. I can only assume that EA gamers work in soul sapping professions and thus just want some seditative gaming at the end of a long day. They get neither buzzed nor irritated by EA games and just want to feel comfortably numb I guess.

The game will only be available through EA's mobile platform, which will now be known as: 'Rusty Nails Jabbing Your Genitals'

While DA2 and 3 were indeed weaker that DA1, the games still work for me. So I'm looking forward to it.

DA:I had pretty good gameplay overall, I found. The game was just plagued by a ton of pointless filler.

But the main character/progression system was pretty good - and combat was servicable.

What I liked about it was that my party members did what I told them to do - and they did pretty well for themselves. Not as much control as DA:O - but it wasn't really needed. You could prioritize spells and powers - and they actually followed that list to the letter - as far as I remember.

They need to either reduce the overall size of the game or make absolutely sure they can justify the scope and make the content both dense and interesting whereever you go.

Also, either get rid of the crafting system - or do something serious about the horrible interface.

That said, I actually found DA:O had a similar issue with filler fatigue. Way too much combat and too many empty hallways.

DA:I, at least, had a ton of visual variety in the various areas which helped.

Overall, I have to say DA:O is the best one, but that's because of story and characters - not the gameplay.

DA2 was just a bad joke, though.

You know the marketing department is doing a good job when the reaction from the community is "Don't panic yet. Probably." :p

That's not the reaction from the community :)

That's the reaction from the minority that's still stuck in the past hoping beyond hope that times didn't actually change when their hobby turned mainstream.

The mainstream couldn't care less about what a "live game" means. They just want to have fun playing fun games.

For party-based games, I liked the first and the third game pretty well. I never finish these types of games, but I got fairly far in both. They're about like Original Sin to me, minus the sexy parts.

Wait, I thought Bioware was gambling the company on Anthem? Now it turns out they've been cranking the sequel handle as well. Presumably "story and character focused" means it's not an open world setting?

I wouldn't read too much into it. Presumably it's a small group doing a scoping exercise for the sequel, and "story and character focussed" could mean whatever the Bioware marketing team want it to mean (and could be any Bioware game really!) :)). I don't mean this as a downer, it's interesting that they're working on a sequel, but there's no real info at the minute but the looks of things.

I liked DAO a lot. I liked DA2 except for a few bad design choices. I didn't care for DA3 at all. I wonder if DA4 will continue the downward trend.

DA:I was a great game buried underneath tons of pointless padding. I wish this was their hail mary focus instead of Anthem, but I won't say I'm disappointed to hear it's being worked on.

This is the only thing Bioware has in the chute that has any chance at all of gaining my interest. And even here I'm just a bit above neutral given the context. I hope it's good.

Back
Top Bottom