What games are you playing now?

Jaz:

Painkiller: Overdose is a standalone game; you don't need the original disc to play. It might be some sort of mod using the original game engine, though, because the graphics really are not noticeably different from the original game and expansion. It's still pretty good though, with different monsters, weapons and stuff.

http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product_id=647150

Ah yes, thanks for the info. Yes, that's the one I meant, a former-mod-turned-official.

Just got severely hooked on Dwarf Fortress. It is incredibly fantastic in so many ways it's not even funny. It's also incredibly exclusive: the graphics and UI are so forbidding that it's going to stay the least-played most-awesome game ever for the foreseeable future.

Dwarf Fortress? what kind of a name is that?

Can you tell us what it is about?

Dwarf Fortress? what kind of a name is that?

Can you tell us what it is about?

That is actually kinda hard. I'll illustrate it instead.

"How to make seven beds for seven dwarves"

You need:
* One pick
* One anvil.

(1) Find a volcano.
(2) Dig a tunnel to tap into the magma from the volcano (needs pick).
(3) Dig a chamber above the magma tunnel.
(4) Quarry some magma-proof stone (needs pick).
(5) Build a mason's workshop in the chamber using stone from your tunnels.
(6) Make some blocks from magma-proof stone.
(7) Build one magma-fired smelter on top of the magma tunnel (needs magma-proof stone).
(8) Build one magma-fired smithy on top of the magma tunnel (needs anvil).
(9) Mine some ore (your choice).
(10) Smelt ore in smelter to make metal bars (your choice).
(11) Make axe in smithy using metal bars.
(12) Cut down seven trees to get seven logs.
(13) Build carpenter's workshop with stone from your tunneling.
(14) Make seven beds (needs logs).

Of course, once you've got that little set-up, you're all set to do stuff like crafting steel or even adamantium armor and weapons, which you can trade, use for fighting goblins, hunting, or what not. Assuming, naturally, that you've also managed to secure a steady supply of food, alcohol, and water for your dwarves so they won't starve.

Next instalment: "How to bake a bread in Dwarf Fortress."

More about it here: [ http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/ ]

Seriously, this is one of the most amazing games I've ever played. The sheer amount of depth and detail is mind-boggling.

It's also the clear winner for sheer ugliness and user-interface confusion... although once you figure it out, the UI is pretty fast: you can do just about anything by typing two or three keys in sequence (e.g. b-w-m to build a mason's workshop) and then selecting a location.

Last edited:
I'm usually the one berating ADD inflicted teens about how gameplay is more important than graphics but ... damn. Even I can't stop my eyes from bleeding after seeing the graphics in Dwarf Fortress. I know I have become spoiled over the years but even if we somehow managed to jump back in time 15 years I would still have curled up in a corner whimpering like a little child after seeing Dwarf Fortress :faint:

Right now I'm juggling The Witcher (chapter 5), Mass Effect (just started), and Team Fortress 2/Quake Wars.

Playing At the moment:

Blood II : The Chosen - My favourite FPS ever. It's extremely violent, sick, twisted,
lots of black humour, and the weapons are divine.
Works great on modern windows and still manages to look good.
Oh.. and there's.. um... lots ... LOT'S of blood...

NWN2: Mask of the Betrayer - I'm Lovin' It !

After These I have on the queue:
The Witcher
Two Worlds
Hexen2 and the Expansion for that (never played before...)

Playing now:
Neverwinter Nights - bought the addons so am replaying the first in the series
Eschalon - Like the old school games best

I'm usually the one berating ADD inflicted teens about how gameplay is more important than graphics but ... damn. Even I can't stop my eyes from bleeding after seeing the graphics in Dwarf Fortress. I know I have become spoiled over the years but even if we somehow managed to jump back in time 15 years I would still have curled up in a corner whimpering like a little child after seeing Dwarf Fortress :faint:

Actually, most people use tilesets that make it a little easier on the eyes... but only a little. I use Guybrush's, which makes it look like this (View Image to see the full-rez):

GuybrushScreenshot1.PNG

I hear that there's some sort of effort underway to give it some über-cool fully graphic isometric tiles. Just like in 1990, mang. Like this -- but keep in mind it's still pure science fiction at this point).

I hear that there's some sort of effort underway to give it some über-cool fully graphic isometric tiles. Just like in 1990, mang. Like this -- but keep in mind it's still pure science fiction at this point).

Now that would be brilliant. Put those graphics in DF and I'm there. That other screenshot you provided makes my eyes go bonkers and prolonged exposure would surely give me a headache.

yep, while I still prolly wouldnt play the circa '90 one either, it would be a little closer than the other one.

I'm taking a long time with RE4 because I keep replaying certain parts of the game because theyre so fun. Like the night of the living dead house attack and chainsaw-weilding female zombies from hell part. Ive fired up the game a few times and played just those thru a few times, then shut it down.

Thanks for sharing the info PJ, it sounds like a fun game, it just doesn't look like one! ;)

It *is* a fun game, if you just have the perseverance to get past the "initial WTF???" phase. For me, it took six hours. Now I'm in the "novice WTF???" phase.

Lawdee, lawdee, PJ really does have a sense of humor. "novice WTF" Classic! :worship:

Though I have to admit Prime J's description of what sounds like micromanagement city builder hell in Dwarf Fortress really appeals to me, I know I don't have the chops for it. I'm still playing the Witcher, and now in Act 5 the delayed results of all my half-formed acts and poor decisions are catching up to me--while it's been possible to sit on the fence to a certain extent up til now, there's a price to pay for that as well.

After These I have on the queue:

Hexen2 and the Expansion for that (never played before...)

Zakhary, if you like Blood 2, you'll enjoy Hexen 2 a lot, if you can find it, it should be dirt cheap. The graphics are dated but it's a really well done game by Raven Software.

While Hexen II is great, the expansion Portals of Praveus is mediocre IMO. PoP has its moments and I definitely like the setting, but levels are relatively small and gameplay is rather straightforward when compared to the original game.

Back
Top Bottom