Question about gamelength for Mass Effect 1+2, Dragon Age and Fallout 3

DArtagnan you name that taunt? Lol that is the nice example to quote how it's not about really different effect in computer D&D we got.

Yes, the ability is called taunt. Again, there's no aggro factor in D&D - and that's a GOOD thing in my mind.

Also in DAO it's rather more difficult to taunt than in WoW to really attract fast the attention (not just a poor effect like in NWN series) and it's rather more dangerous to throw your tank and have it attracts the attention of everything during the fight.

That's a completely subjective observation that has nothing to do with the ability's presence in itself. You can taunt in D&D/NWN - and whether you like the implementation or not is completely irrelevant here.

Knockback? For fighters? Where in D&D computer games? Another quote:
The spell with this effect from a wiki search:

Charge would be a good comparitive power, because it knocks people back or down - but are you seriously taking a single named power in DA:O and claiming that because that one ability isn't present in NWN in the same form, that somehow makes the HUGE diversity advantage non-existant?

Charge? NWN series? where? When looking at NWN2 wiki the only result is a skill not implemented in NWN2 (Acrobatic Charge) and I don't remember any charge in any D&D computer games. Another point is the effect of the charge. High damage and lower defense for a duration? Not a new effect, just a new word with old effects.

I said MOST of the powers were implemented in one way or the other. There's a feat called knockdown available as a general feat to every one that knocks people down.

Now for this thread, I didn't realize the exchange was about D&D ideas thrown on paper and never implemented. I don't see the point of comparing rules on paper and computer games.

It wasn't formalized.

But you're deliberately ignoring what it's about anyway, so what's the point?

Again, do you think it's hard for anyone to take a number of feats or spells from NWN and find them missing from DA:O?

That's completely incidental and beside the point. The point isn't even the combined amount of skills/feats/spells/powers either - even though I think it's a bit comical that you seem to think DA:O is the victor here.

Just for jolly, should we talk about spells implemented in NWN2 (with just the first expansion - vs DA:O + Awakenings)? There are around 300 (or more) with MotB - versus, what, ~90-100 (at most) in total with all prestige classes in DA:O?

Those are SPELLS - not class feats or inherent features. Meaning, that's just a single aspect of powers available to whatever class combination you choose. In DA:O that's their entire breadth of available powers to the SINGLE Mage class in the game. I'm sorry, but your claim is a joke - and it's not even relevant to the point.

Again, this is and ALWAYS was about CLASS DIVERSITY. Do you even know what that means? It seems you don't.

It's about HOW many different classes you can create, and how many different ways you can build the same class, and then with NWN how many viable combinations of multiclasses you can come up with.

It's about the class SYSTEM and not the amount of toys available. The point is that you have an EXTREMELY limited amount of fighters and rogues in DA:O - which means that even if they had a 1000 powers, you'd still have experienced them all in the first playthrough, because they're all available and there's no decision making. You just pick a "type" of fighter or rogue - and in which order you want to have all your skills. You don't consider what KIND of skills your fighter will use, because you know you'll end up with every single 2-handed power anyway (if you go 2-handed).

THAT's the issue.

Why don't you take a look at the link below. You'll find a tiny subset of "epic builds" avaliable in NWN. Try to read the descriptions and try to realise how different those characters were built, and how different their approach to combat is.

Try to say with a straight face that DA:O can come up with anything in terms of character builds to approach that kind of diversity.

http://nwn.bioware.com/underdark/character_builds.html

Last edited:
Taunt means something and translate it in standard spell effects is just playing with words. If you can't see that...

For the classes in DAO it's funny how you continue insist when I wrote multiple time that there was huge difference in DAO classes paths and quite more than in D&D for fighters but overall DAO has a lot to do to improve choices inside a class and number of classes.

You don't read anymore or fake not see it, ok fine, I get where I wanted so I don't care anymore.

Dasle,you are splitting hairs on an aspect of DAO that is not really significant in terms of different gameplay. Whether knockback pushes someone back or down doesn't really matter. What matters is that the someone cannot attack while under the effect of a knockdown or knockback.

i got 120 hours out of DAO, but then again I did some encounters or areas multiple times to try different strategies, and I'm obsessive-compulsive about turning over rocks in every area. Probably spent far too much time messing w/ inventory and runes and potions and poisons and traps and grenades and stuff too.

That said, I pretty much always used what i made or bought and didnt end the game w/ too much extra consumables. Maybe I'm just getting better about it, usually i end a game w/ an arsenal big enough to beat the game twice over.

Towards the end I let some quests n stuff slip, mainly quests that I didnt think my character would care about. Like the effort to set up a Chantry in Orzammar (she didnt care much for humans), or the summoning thing in the mage tower.

I'm sad that the Spiked Chain + Trip Fighter gets no love. Or the fighter who dual wields Kobolds. Or Gnomes. Or what about the currently-popular dual weilding Khopesh? Swordsage? Kensai? Mystic Theurge? Giant Transforming Dinosaur?

I found out an interesting thing here; you can ignore other users. Rare enough in internet forums that I'm not sure I've seen it anywhere else. Then again, consistent troll accounts are rarer comparatively; usually they disappear after awhile or start new accounts so they can troll under a new name. Some forums I don't even have to look; there are no trolls around.

It's handy when some users only contribution is to flame and bash anyone who does not worship the same game as him, and bashes any game that they say is better (or even if they just mention them as good games, and don't mention his particular game-god-thing).

Kinda funny, I liked DA:O at first. After Dasale, I'm not sure I'll bother to install it on my next computer. His worship has ended up highlighting the weak parts of the entire thing, and overshadowing the rest. And now I want to try the original Pool of Radiance again. Haven't played that since C64 days, even though I've had the DOS version forever too.

Back
Top Bottom