Beamdog - Infinity Games Console Release Dated

Still milking out every last bit from IE games I see.

And I hope they continue!

Too many developers start out with grand ambitions and then go bankrupt, even after releasing hits. I don't think a lot of people understand how perilous it is to start a game dev company, and instead of seeing capitalism as a way to give long term stability, they expect that all devs should live on the edge of sanity and bankruptcy, abandon their kids education, and for what? To please people who already had a copy of the game for years? Because they don't think it's worth it for the people buying it (even though accounting for inflation it's a much better deal then when we bought it 20 years ago)?

Their business model is just a slightly altered niche version of how CD Projekt/GOG started out.

I don't think trust has anything to do with it. Realistically, it's whoever bids an appropriate amount. :)
I very much doubt it's that. I'd be fairly confident that there's companies out there with a lot more money than Larian who would like to make Baldur's Gate 3. Many of them would also be interested in turning it into some kind of mainstream garbage that would sell a lot more copies than anything Larian would ever make, too. So, no, if it's true Larian is making this game, then I don't think money was the only consideration on the part of WotC.

I played these games with the Steam controller and it was a great experience. Beamdog actually used my profile for Planescape: Torment and gave me credit on Steam. I wonder if my profiles influenced them to release on consoles. o_o

Every little bit counts? I got credit too, but I highly doubt there was much influence on my part. I think next time I will put my credits name as PenisMightier. Think they'll accept that?

And I hope they continue!

Too many developers start out with grand ambitions and then go bankrupt, even after releasing hits. I don't think a lot of people understand how perilous it is to start a game dev company, and instead of seeing capitalism as a way to give long term stability, they expect that all devs should live on the edge of sanity and bankruptcy, abandon their kids education, and for what? To please people who already had a copy of the game for years? Because they don't think it's worth it for the people buying it (even though accounting for inflation it's a much better deal then when we bought it 20 years ago)?

Their business model is just a slightly altered niche version of how CD Projekt/GOG started out.

I don't. For one, I don't even think they have talent, basically either modding or porting existing game over and over again.

CD project is a completely different story to Beamdog. They actually made something worthwhile.

I don't. For one, I don't even think they have talent, basically either modding or porting existing game over and over again.

CD project is a completely different story to Beamdog. They actually made something worthwhile.

CD Projekt Red - Started 1994
The Witcher 2002 (Non-Aurora) - Never released because it was shit
The Witcher 2007 (Aurora Engine) - First original released title (with help from Bioware during their peak)
Metacritic = 81/100

Beamdog - Started 2009
Siege of Dragonspear 2016 - First original released title
Metacritic = 77/100

Beamdog time to release successful original title = 7 Years
CD Projekt Red time to release successful original title = 13 Years

However by the above logic, if we are to judge fairly, we should be have been complaining that CD Projekt Red was a shitty milking developer for 12 years because The Witcher wasn't out yet. Beamdog hasn't even existed that long.

Not to mention there was GOG to fluff the succeeding Witcher titles, and not relying on a niche market.

CD Projekt Red - Started 1994
The Witcher 2002 (Non-Aurora) - Never released because it was shit
The Witcher 2007 (Aurora Engine) - First original released title (with help from Bioware during their peak)
Metacritic = 81/100

Beamdog - Started 2009
Siege of Dragonspear 2016 - First original released title
Metacritic = 77/100

Beamdog time to release successful original title = 7 Years
CD Projekt Red time to release successful original title = 13 Years

However by the above logic, if we are to judge fairly, we should be have been complaining that CD Projekt Red was a shitty milking developer for 12 years because The Witcher wasn't out yet. Beamdog hasn't even existed that long.

Not to mention there was GOG to fluff the succeeding Witcher titles, and not relying on a niche market.
CD Projekt Red was created in 2002, not 1994. Prior to that there was just CD Projekt (without the "Red"), but that wasn't a game studio, it was a game distribution business, and they also did Polish localization of some games. CD Projekt Red, the game development studio, is a subsidiary of CD Projekt. So, most of your info / points there are wrong.

I've never understood the irrational dislike for Beamdog from some people, especially considering it was founded by former members of Bioware. It is what it is though. Personally, I'm a fan of what they're doing.

I very much doubt it's that. I'd be fairly confident that there's companies out there with a lot more money than Larian who would like to make Baldur's Gate 3. Many of them would also be interested in turning it into some kind of mainstream garbage that would sell a lot more copies than anything Larian would ever make, too. So, no, if it's true Larian is making this game, then I don't think money was the only consideration on the part of WotC.

Oh I'm quite sure money is the primary focus, but you can believe what you'd like.

People can always seem to find a reason to dislike things. For what it's worth, I met several of the folks working at Beamdog a few years ago while I lived in Edmonton, and they were quite nice. I also consider them all rather talented.

Got nothing against them but I can't deny I would love to see an original game. Anyway they ruined the opportunity for a new RPG already as funds, and talent have left.

Trent himself always admits they don't have the funding to make new games. That's why I was surprised about the Axis & Allies game, but it's not really an ambitious game.

Someone should contact Paradox for a buyout.

Last edited:
I've never understood the irrational dislike for Beamdog from some people, especially considering it was founded by former members of Bioware. It is what it is though. Personally, I'm a fan of what they're doing.

Its not irrational - I just have different values to you and different point of view.

And as you said it is what it is. What I think dont matter anyway.

Infinity Engine CRPGs on console.. IS NOTHING SACRED!!! In all seriousness I have no issues with these titles coming to console but with the time and money Beamdog have spent it would have been refreshing to see them come up with an original IP instead.

If the company does indeed consist primarily of game modders, then that's likely to be their focus moving forward. To make a proper stand-alone game, they may need to collaborate (or merge) with a company that already has experience at developing games.

CD Projekt Red was created in 2002, not 1994. Prior to that there was just CD Projekt (without the "Red"), but that wasn't a game studio, it was a game distribution business, and they also did Polish localization of some games. CD Projekt Red, the game development studio, is a subsidiary of CD Projekt. So, most of your info / points there are wrong.

They both started out editing existing versions of games. Localization projects are a form of development (although i'm sure people think it was simply cutting and pasting a text file from "good day" to "dobry den"), and development was being done before they split to RED. They didn't all of a sudden go from 0 to 100 doing the BG:DA port.

Just because I said KFC instead of Kentucky Fried Chicken, it doesn't change the argument.

Its not irrational - I just have different values to you and different point of view.

I'm all for people having different opinions, values and points of view.

It's when people are shown that an argument to their opinion is a fallacy, and they abandon it and jump to a completely new unrelated argument, as confirmation bias that their opinion is right that things become annoying.

Either that or they establish double standards. "It's ok for one entity to do this, because they're wonderful. But the entity that I hate MUST be bad, because they do this too."

They both started out editing existing versions of games. Localization projects are a form of development (although i'm sure people think it was simply cutting and pasting a text file from "good day" to "dobry den"), and development was being done before they split to RED. They didn't all of a sudden go from 0 to 100 doing the BG:DA port.

Just because I said KFC instead of Kentucky Fried Chicken, it doesn't change the argument.
Actually, CD Projekt didn't start out "editing existing versions of games". They started out as a game distributor. Later on they moved into localization, but equating that with enhanced editions etc is pretty silly. To be honest, besides being wrong about the history with CDPR (distributor/localizer) and CDPR Red (game developer), the whole argument you presented seems incredibly weird and pointless. For starters, Beamdog still hasn't even released what I'd call a real game - only a DLC (or expansion, if you prefer) for a BioWare game. But the whole number of years thing - wow, who cares?

Values? That's quite amusing. :)

You can dislike Beamdog for whatever reason you want, but don't try to act like they've done something immoral.

I'm all for people having different opinions, values and points of view.

It's when people are shown that an argument to their opinion is a fallacy, and they abandon it and jump to a completely new unrelated argument, as confirmation bias that their opinion is right that things become annoying.

Either that or they establish double standards. "It's ok for one entity to do this, because they're wonderful. But the entity that I hate MUST be bad, because they do this too."

So you guys can judge and call my opinion/value/thoughts as "fallacy" or "bias" but I can't judge Beamdog.

How amusing :)

Actually, I wasn't even talking to you originally. I made a general statement and you responded to it. You apparently identified with what I said.

Here you referred to people who dislike Beamdog (yes, I dislike Beamdog) with the assumption that the root cause is irrational.

Values? That's quite amusing. :)

You can dislike Beamdog for whatever reason you want, but don't try to act like they've done something immoral.

Here you quoted me directly.

Trying to be smart arse as usual in classic JDR way :)

Back
Top Bottom