The TV Series discussion thread

Nooooooooooooooooooooooo :(

No matter. Wouldn't be the first series I stopped watching.

I'm not a huge super hero fan so I haven't tuned in ... But my older son wants to check it out (yay Hulu) ... Sounds like he will be disappointed

He won't be. Arrow season 2 just started.

Thing is, SHIELD isn't superheroes. They've got two brainiacs, a super hacker, two combat types, and the leader. Not a superpower amongst them.

The series recently got picked up for a full season of episodes and I read on some gossip site that the most recent tapings (episodes 7 and 8) were awesome, but I don't know that I'd trust a generic source such as that.

I compare the series to Firefly because of the Joss Whedon connection. Not even close. I don't know whether it's bad writing or good writers handcuffed by the pre-existing lore, but the characters in SHIELD are cardboard crap so far. The characters on Firefly were cliches, too, if you think about it, but that cast immediately generated a warmth and honesty that these jokers on SHIELD haven't touched. Maybe they'll get there, but I won't be on board if they don't start moving in that direction real soon.

Although I liked first 2 episodes, Shield is a way lower quality than Firefly.
It's unfair comparision.

I'd say Shield's first 2 eps are close to (recent) Nikita series with the quality.

I just rewatched Northern Exposure - one of my favourate TV-shows of all time.

After 20 years the episodes are still great to watch.

The second American show to showcase my original part of the world, the Pacific Northwest (the first being Twin Peaks - but the real Twin Peaks where the famous murder of the teen girl occurred is in California). But now you see it all the time with so many shows made in Vancouver. They don't even pretend its Seattle anymore.

Where I grew up had more people than but the mix of people was pretty much the same. The Indian kid with the leather jacket, he could be any of 100 kids I grew up with. Only thing missing was "Iron Maiden" stamped on its back.

So anyone seen Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.? I must admit that my expectations were low but yet it managed to dissapoint. I mean, what a joke. Characters were laughable cliché and the show really lacked ambition. The first episode didn't leave me wanting more.

TV shows centered around Superheroes - you have to remember the writing on most comic books are and have been atrocious. Roy Thomas and Gerry Conway left the comic industry for Hollywood and now there stuff is about 100x better, but they wrote terrible hackneyed clicheed stuff. When you have to work on that deadline and your audience only thought they were more discriminating its an easy trap to fall into.

This is why I don't expect much from superhero shows. Remember The Flash or Birds of Prey?

Been stepping into the waters of the Walking Dead.

The term overrated springs to mind. The first season was ok, but as soon as it got picked up for more seasons, it becomes noticeably more drawn out and melodramatic.

…although the redneck is great fun!

It only gets worse, in my opinion.

But it's well produced and has a wonderful sense of dread and despair - as in you can't help but watch it anyway ;)

The term overrated springs to mind. The first season was ok, but as soon as it got picked up for more seasons, it becomes noticeably more drawn out and melodramatic.

The pendulum keeps swinging back and forth between whether they want the show to be an apocalyptic adventure show or a psychological drama with lots of deep introspection. The show does much better when they skip all the navel gazing. So, season 1 was pretty good (although it does take a while to get the foundation established). Season 2 got a little goofy at times with all the attempts at "deep thoughts". Season 3 got back on the rails and really did a fine job, IMO. Rumor has it that we're in for a lot more navel gazing in season 4, and that makes me sad.

Although I liked first 2 episodes, Shield is a way lower quality than Firefly.
It's unfair comparision.

I'd say Shield's first 2 eps are close to (recent) Nikita series with the quality.
After episode 3 nearly got me to quit the show, they made a nice comeback in episode 4 (I'm about a week behind via DVR). Kept me in the fold for another week or two.

I'm wavering a bit on The Blacklist. Although I'm still enjoying the show a good bit, the logical holes are starting to bother me more and more.

To each their own, the walking dead is my only can't miss show right now, they are very good at the " I have to see what happens next week" formula.

I would say Game of Thrones is even more can't miss then Walking Dead but I love them both. Sometimes I wish the TV version would follow the comics a bit more but I do like the surprises.

I am having a hard time watching Shield but the Goldbergs after it is pretty damn funny.

September 22th, on STV and DR1 starts the second season:

I can't watch those swedish and danish public channels, so I'll have to wait it appears on other networks, usually takes a week or two.
I just can't believe local TV stations here didn't go instantly for this masterpiece's sequel. No matter. The wait is over, airing on a local TV starts this week. Can't remember last series I was so eager to watch like this one.

I refused to watch US remake on FOX Crime (The Bridge) and definetly won't watch GB remake (The Tunnel).

Broen 2 is - so far - rather weak compared to the first season. But Saga remains my favorite female character of all time.

The Bridge wasn't a bad show at all. Obviously, I can't compare to the original, but other than a painful lack of insight given for Sonya's nutjobery, the show was solid. Looking forward to season 2.

Lack of insight? Well, in the original - it's pretty obvious that Saga's suffering from Asperger syndrome.

It's never said out loud - but if you know anything about this particular disorder, there's really no doubt.

Lack of insight? Well, in the original - it's pretty obvious that Saga's suffering from Asperger syndrome.

It's never said out loud - but if you know anything about this particular disorder, there's really no doubt.
And the number of American television viewers that have even heard of Asperger's, let alone know the symptoms, shall be...

Even if they never spelled it out, you'd think there would be some sort of acknowledgement that her unusual behavior is unusual for a reason. She's obviously got some issues of some sort, but we're being left to accept that her behavior is completely normal when it's clearly not. Realistically, someone that age with symptoms that pronounced would be getting some sort of treatment.

I don't know the US version - but I know it's not the US way to have people think for themselves and leave some things unexplained.

I sympathise with you having to understand something for yourself ;)

For the original version - I think it's the perfect approach, because people will be jumping to condemn Saga as heartless and inconsiderate, and eventually they'll figure out why she has no choice but to be that way.

That's how you learn a lesson about human beings.

As for "treatment" - there's no treatment for Asperger, but you can go into therapy for it to help manage it.

I caught a small glimpse of Diane Krüger playing the character - and she sucks big-time compared to Sofia Helin who's absolutely perfect.

You're supposed to hate her before you understand her.

I don't know the US version - but I know it's not the US way to have people think for themselves and leave some things unexplained.

I sympathise with you having to understand something for yourself ;)

For the original version - I think it's the perfect approach, because people will be jumping to condemn Saga as heartless and inconsiderate, and eventually they'll figure out why she has no choice but to be that way.

That's how you learn a lesson about human beings.
Thinking make head hurt. Not good. :p

After one season, we've been given no hint that she's got no choice in the issue. You go that long without an acknowledgement, even if it's a subtle nod to the obvious, and you just write her off as an asshole. That's counterproductive for your ejimakayshun goal.

As for "treatment" - there's no treatment for Asperger, but you can go into therapy for it to help manage it.
We might have a language issue here. Treatment /= cure. Therapy IS a form of treatment. Not really a critical point, anyway, so moving on.

I caught a small glimpse of Diane Krüger playing the character - and she sucks big-time compared to Sofia Helin who's absolutely perfect.

You're supposed to hate her before you understand her.
Well, they certainly accomplished the first half. I worry that it might be too late to accomplish the second half.

I would think a simple hint would be for her to mention a therapy session in passing. Don't even have to spell out what for, just establish that her behavior is not to be taken as normal. A more tricky approach (which could be turned into a public service announcement after the show, hitting that education button you're looking for) would be for her to have a pamphlet for Asperger's on her desk. Another character could ask about it, and she quickly tucks it in a drawer and nothing more is said. Inquisitive viewers (proper targets for your desired education) could look it up for themselves. If you wanted to make a sermon for moronic masses out of it, have a little 3 minute spot after the show with the actress and some suit pitching awareness and "Aspergers.com".

Thinking make head hurt. Not good. :p

Pain can be a teacher ;)

After one season, we've been given no hint that she's got no choice in the issue. You go that long without an acknowledgement, even if it's a subtle nod to the obvious, and you just write her off as an asshole. That's counterproductive for your ejimakayshun goal.

Think about it for a second, dude.

WHY would she be such a bitch? Take note of her subtle remarks. I assume they're copying the part - so there should be plenty for you to pick up on.

Either it's the worst writing of the century - or there's a REASON she behaves like that and still has a job.

We might have a language issue here. Treatment /= cure. Therapy IS a form of treatment. Not really a critical point, anyway, so moving on.

Semantics, probably. I tend to think of treatment as something meant to alleviate or cure a condition. All you can really do with Asperger is try to live with it without it taking over.

Well, they certainly accomplished the first half. I worry that it might be too late to accomplish the second half.

If you still aren't willing to understand her based on what I've told you - then it's most likely too late.

I would think a simple hint would be for her to mention a therapy session in passing. Don't even have to spell out what for, just establish that her behavior is not to be taken as normal. A more tricky approach (which could be turned into a public service announcement after the show, hitting that education button you're looking for) would be for her to have a pamphlet for Asperger's on her desk. Another character could ask about it, and she quickly tucks it in a drawer and nothing more is said. Inquisitive viewers (proper targets for your desired education) could look it up for themselves. If you wanted to make a sermon for moronic masses out of it, have a little 3 minute spot after the show with the actress and some suit pitching awareness and "Aspergers.com".

That's exactly the same as spelling it out. It's a US thing. I'm sorry, but it is.

In the Danish version - she gives a ton of subtle hints, like "I'm not normal" "I'm no good as a girlfriend" - "Why is that joke funny?" - and so on.

She cries at one time when her boss is meant to retire, but it's only a tear - and then she's back to herself again.

The character is basically completely incapable of normal social function - but she's chosen to withstand all the ridicule and social isolation, and she's chosen to sacrifice almost everything just to be as good at her job as she can be.

She's possibly the least selfish person in the entire show - and that's the beauty of her character. She never does ANYTHING to hurt anyone - and she does everything to help. Everything she does is based on what she thinks will be the best thing to do.

The other characters go around cheating on their wives and kill people.

But people don't see it - they just think she's a bitch.

You think that's a character worthy of hate?

I can't remember any character for which I've had greater sympathy in a TV show.

Back
Top Bottom