• I don't care

Votes: 9 23.1%
  • I just want a My Little Pony Design

Votes: 3 7.7%

• Total voters

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
User tagging is a feature where you receive a mail whenever you are mentioned in a post or quoted in a post. You are also notified when you visit the forums.

Just checking if it is something that is appreciated or not.
The feature would be enabled by default, but can be disabled individually.

Being informed when someone mentions you, is something I experienced on other forums, it is nice and can be convenient when your input is desired.
There you'd get a mail as soon as someone mentioned '@your name'.

Being notified when visiting the forums, what is the point of that?

It's just another convenient option, so why not? :)

As for being notified when I visit the forums, I - like Eye - struggle to see the point? But maybe I'm missing something.

You really have to stop putting My little pony in the polls, I feel obliged to pick that option! Being notified when someone tags you would be a nice option, although I would prefer a PM on the forum rather than by mail. I visit the forum everyday anyway and the mail gets too crowded.

Last edited:
I just group the My Little Pony votes into the I don't care group ;)
The mod I'm planning to use does not use PMs. However receiving a PM also sends you a mail, so I am not sure how that is going to help in reducing the mail load.

Having notifications when visiting the forums has the advantage that you get an overview of all the threads/posts in which your name was tagged and where you were quoted.

The usage will indeed be @yourname or @your name; (the semicolon is used for user names with spaces).
I have the option to configure how this looks when being displayed. Could drop the @ and just use underscores, or a color, like yourname or yourname or yourname, or whatever combo one could think of.

The mod also has the option to enable hash tags (like twitter), but I wasn't planning on enabling that.

Cons:
Most of MMO threads I skip completely, so a notification I'm mentioned in one would be irrelevant to me, that'd be spam in some way. Threads I'm interested in I'll check anyway so additional notification would be redudant.

Pros:
There is another forum I'm also a member of that uses notifications, but it has thousands of active users and a thread can grow numrous pages in just a few hours. These notifications are especially useful there when certain things like bugs, PC configurations and special questions come out but get burried with consecutive posts.

To sum up:
RPGwatch doesn't have thousands of active users, but the current market trend is RPG so perhaps this changes. At work I also receive plenty of notifications of which many are not really connected to my job, but I got used on that.
So while it feels unnecessary today, could be nifty in the future. I'll vote yes.

I think it would be a handy feature.

I can be somewhat absentminded, so a lot of times I will post in a thread, forget about it, and then check days/weeks/months later to see that someone responded to me.

Getting a notification whenever I've been quoted would help alleviate this somewhat.

I know it from the Codex - it's a nice feature.

The Codex don't send a mail, but gives a notification and shortcuts to the threads in which you were tagged when you visit the forum.

I guess it doesnt' hurt if it is optional but prefer not in general. What I would like is an easy way to find such posts in the profile. Even finding recent posts i've made is a little painful - if I wnat to go back and check if there was a reply.

Might be handy. I don't read most of the threads anymore, so it might be helpful to know if someone replied to something I said.

Even finding recent posts i've made is a little painful - if I wnat to go back and check if there was a reply.
There are several ways to find your posts. First, if there is a post already, one only has to click on the name above the avatar and select 'Find more posts by <user>' and you get an overview of all the posts. Works for seeing posts from whoever has posted in the thread you are in.
Secondly, if you are online then at the bottom of the forum home page you can find your name. Click on it and it brings you to an overview page. At the right hand side there is a ' Show all statistics' link. Clicking that gives you the option to see all of your posts.

Basically @Joxer would be notified every time someone mentioned bears, mobile, mmo, and respawns.
This adds no value to me.

Sounds like an excellent feature. I often miss when people reply so it'd be great to have a notification.

Basically @Joxer would be notified every time someone mentioned bears, mobile, mmo, and respawns.
This adds no value to me.

Then you don't tag him! :D

It's a nice feature, Myrthos. I vote for it.

If this feature turns out being abused/misused then I think the Admins can always roll that back, right?

Last edited:
Sure, it's a nice feature. I don't post much, but I think I would appreciate it.

I am automatically subscribing to all threads I post in anyways and I think the Forum and News System of RPGwatch is one of the best in that regard and one of the reasons I use this page. I don't get why some big pages use systems where you have to manually check again and again whether or not there was a reply on a news comment.

That said, I don't think another notification feature would be that usefull. I mean it would only work for threads where people are mentioned from other threads. Don't think that will happen that often, unless you are one of maybe 5 people here with...very strong or weird opinions and used as an example.

But there is also no real reason against it. The only one I can think of is spam, if it's not checked against other notifications. Would be annoying if I get one notification for another answer in a thread and another one because I was mentioned in it.

I am fine with this idea myself.

As to the spam comments, everyone can disable the feature for themselves, so it won't sent any mails anymore.

Seems like a no brainer :) Do it!

Back
Top Bottom