Assassin's Creed Valhalla - Gameplay Trailer & First Impressions

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Assassin's Creed Valhalla was announced recently and a gameplay trailer was released. Additionally, the entire Assassin's franchise is currently on sale.

Get a first look at gameplay for Assassin's Creed Valhalla. Footage is representative of Xbox Series X gameplay!
Gameinformer list 25 things they learned about Assassin's Creed Valhalla.

1. Eivor is pronounced "Ā-vōr."

2. You can choose whether your Eivor is male or female.

3. Customization options let you change Eivor's hair, clothing, war paint, and more.

4. The game takes place in Norway and England.

5. England has three major cities to visit: London, Winchester, and Jórvík.

6. You can dual-wield almost any combination of weapons.

7. Every piece of gear is unique.

8. Gear can be upgraded and customized, and you can use the same equipment from beginning to end if you want to.

9. You earn new abilities through a system mechanically similar to a skill tree.

10. What you can accomplish is more about gear and skills, not character levels.

[...]
Xbox.com describe their first experience with the game.

As the scene shifts to England, we get a picturesque view of the landscape, centered on a mysterious obelisk - actually a Viking altar. An armored warrior hoists a banner with a rampant red dragon, time passes rapidly over a cairn-covered hillside, and we glimpse contrasted Christian and Viking altars before being greeted with the imposing sight of Stonehenge.

With the scene set, we see the warriors of Aelfred, king of Wessex, assembled amid torchlight before their monarch steps into view. Then it's time to begin the assault, as Eivor leaps from his longship, rallies his troops with a horn, and launches himself knee-first into a Saxon soldier's face. Cut to siege machinery being wheeled toward a Saxon fortress, and Eivor launching himself into another enemy, this time with a flying tackle and a finishing blow.

[...]
Thanks Farflame!

More information.

It looks pretty good and I like the aesthetics and music. The vikings were pretty much the bad guys, although that gets complex, being settled as Normans and serving in the Varangian Guard etc. It would be nice to visit Constantinople etc.

The Vikings were the bad guys for the English I suppose cus they got raided and the lands they occupied were plundered/stolen. Later on, the English were the bad guys for the Scottish. Back then, everyone was trying to do what the Vikings did, only the Vikings were extremely more successful, and didn't care too much about writing down their side of the story. Being "bad guys" is a relative thing, and I hope the game portrays that well.

Very much looking forward to play this game, and very tempted to get the collector's edition to flaunt that fierce Eivor statue. :)

The full collector edition over here costs 180 bucks with statue or 92 without. Additionally, you can get a 20% discount with 100 Ubisoft points, which you get pretty much guaranteed if you finished the previous Assassin's Creed fully. It could be better, could be worse. Some people fork 500 bucks on amateurish indie crap that never get released when the dev runs with their money, or spend 10-50 on League of Legends champion skins that have zero impact on their ability to play the game or their success when playing it.

Anyway, I'm not saying anything that anybody doesn't know, it's really down to whether you think you can or want to afford it. It's very obvious that the price is steep for an average wage slave that just "wants to play the game", and that's why there's an unlimited amount of regular retail/digital copies of the game priced like every other AAA game.

Last edited:
FOUR HUNDRED(BRL) bucks for the Digital Ultimate Edition. Uh.

As a fellow countryman, I feel your pain. One US dollar worth more than 5 BRL hurts.

I've quite liked the past few Creeds - and I'm a fan of the environment. Dark green areas and foggy forests with some Norwegian fjords thrown in should be right up my alley.

I'm not a big Viking fan, however - but - then again - I wasn't big on Greek mythology either.

As long as there's stealth and exploration in there, I'll find some way to have fun.

Also, I really like the sound of how all weapons will be unique. I'm sceptical that's actually the case - but it could be a great evolution of the formula.

In fact, the whole thing about making it more RPG and without the artificial level gating is music to my ears.

Very keen to check this out - but I do have a strange nagging feeling that it won't live up to its promise. Don't know why.

But it happens sometimes that games are expected to be of a certain quality - and once the expectation is high enough, it seems most games fail to deliver.

A human thing, probably.

Can someone point out the actual gameplay in that so called first look gameplay trailer?

Plenty of cinematics no doubt from in game, but actual gameplay, please... :sarcasticclap:

It is the way by now.

When qualifying the other trailer as gameplay, people went lecturing how this was not a gameplay trailer but a cinematic trailer as it was labelled.

Comes a second trailer, this time labelled gameplay trailer and people glide over it

Not so many differences between the two.

A stunt could be to denominate this one as a game engine trailer.

The way it works. The result of two centuries and stuff.

I think it was simple miscommunication.

Obviously, they're going to have to show actual gameplay well before release - so I don't think this is about intentional deceit.

Certainly, I'm not going to get (truly) excited until I see something that resembles a game.

Can someone point out the actual gameplay in that so called first look gameplay trailer?

Plenty of cinematics no doubt from in game, but actual gameplay, please… :sarcasticclap:
This.
Does a video like that actually go as a gameplay trailer nowadays?

I was curious about that too. No gameplay shown at all. I never played the earlier games because they required parkour skills, which I don't have. Odyssey did the parkour for you and so I could play it. If the next game is like that, I'll be interested somewhat. I hated the ship mechanics in Odyssey, so eventually got bored of the game due to that and the extremely similar missions. I loved the pure exploration though and all of the historical places you could visit. Hard to beat Greece and its environs for that type of stuff though.

I loved the pure exploration though and all of the historical places you could visit. Hard to beat Greece and its environs for that type of stuff though.
Yep, it was really beautiful. Often I just roamed the land with my son with Alexios on a horse, followed by a charmed lion and the eagle. Great fun.

I just hope, we don't only see monotonous snow and ice landscapes in Valhalla. The scene from 0:32 suggests that there will be a lot of green and flowing rivers, so I'm hopeful. But still it's hard to beat the mediterranean sea and especially Greece and the Aegean Islands.

Odyssey was a little overwhelming and did have quite a bit of the usual repetitive Ubi-grind. Regions also looked too similar.

But, overall, it felt much improved on past entries. Certainly much more in line with my own preferences.

Plenty of cinematics no doubt from in game, but actual gameplay, please… :sarcasticclap:

I rant about trailers every decade. Trailers almost never show actual gameplay. I guess you can get a flavor about the theme and art direction. But actual gameplay always seems to be top secret on a need-to-know basis only.

Assassin's Creed Valhalla was announced recently and a gameplay trailer was released. Additionally, the entire Assassin's franchise is currently tips before laser on sale.

Gameinformer list 25 things they learned about Assassin's Creed Valhalla.

Xbox.com describe their first experience with the game.

Thanks Farflame!

More information.
totally misleading title. Shown zero gameplay, just look at the dislike number!!

Back
Top Bottom