Hogwarts Legacy - Some Info @ Droid Journal

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
The Droid Journal has collected some info about the upcoming Hogwarts Legacy:

Hogwarts Legacy: Release Date, Story and Gameplay!

Fans of J.K Rowling's Harry Potter series were thrilled when Hogwarts Legacy was officially announced during the PS5 showcase in September. Developed by Avalanche and published by Warner Bros. Games under the Portkey Games label, which is dedicated to Harry Potter Games, a next-gen adventure set in the wizarding world of Harry Potter is in the works for 2021.

Here's everything we know about Hogwarts Legacy:

[...]

Story

Warner Bros. FAQ support page states that Hogwarts Legacy isn't a direct adaptation of the books and films, but it will be "anchored in Wizarding World lore."

The story does take place in the same universe as the Harry Potter stories, however, we will not see the likes of Harry, Hermione, and Ron as you'll be playing as a student attending Hogwarts in the 1800s. . Set hundreds of years before Potter is born, you get to experience student life and "embark on a dangerous journey to uncover a hidden truth of the wizarding world."

[...]

Gameplay

As an open-world RPG, Hogwarts Legacy puts you at the heart of your own adventure in the wizarding world, where you get to be the "witch or wizard you choose to be."

At the moment we don't know if or how you'll be able to customize your character's appearance, but you'll be able to grow your magical abilities to master spells and combat skills through casting, brewing potions, and taming fantastic beasts.

In true nature of an open-world game. players will be able to venture outside the Hogwarts castle and visit "new and familiar locations", such as the Forbidden Forest and Hogsmead Village.

Hogwarts Legacy will be filled with various missions and scenarios that you'll encounter along your journey which will challenge your morality, leaving it up to the player how they want to handle a situation.

You won't have to face all of the dangers of your journey alone though, while it is a single-player experience with no multiplayer aspect that we know of so far, you will get to select companions who help you face your foes.

[...]
More information.

I'm very interested in this game just hope its not censored for underage gamer's

Well, it's a children's franchise - I'd imagine it will be child-friendly.

Well, it's a children's franchise - I'd imagine it will be child-friendly.
Except it's not their going for a more bleak setting this time. It's not targeting kids under 12 this time, and made by the same studio that did the Mordor One Ring games.

I'd be surprised if this didn't get a 13+ or 16+ pegi rating.

I don't know much about it, TBH, but it all seems like pretty kiddie stuff, to me. I doubt it's going to have much in the way of edgy content. Have they said anywhere that they're going for a more adult audience?

All I know is this and the darker graphic looks compared to past hogwart games.
The story is set in the 1800s, taking you through both familiar and new locations as you’re able to, according to their website, “explore and discover fantastic beasts, customize your character and craft potions, master spell casting, upgrade talents and become the wizard you want to be.”

The keyword here is “you.” Hogwarts Legacy is designed to give gamers the power to control their character and their fate, both interwoven in a captivating storyline. You are a student with a key to an ancient secret, one that puts the fate of the wizarding world in your hands. You soon discover that you’re able to master Ancient magic, unlike your fellow wizarding students.

It’s up to you to decide whether you protect the secret and save the world, or give into dark magic and exploit it. You’re able to make allies and battle enemy Dark wizards, and as you play, you decide the fate of the fictional world you grew up with.

Some leaked footage did show enemies (goblins, maybe? They weren't human) being crushed by falling debris and impaled from some of your spells, but that might be a case of letting the devs go wild in early alpha development for stuff that the public weren't really meant to see and later drawing them back in to a more kid-friendly tone as you move towards release.

Yeah, I think a PG-13 tone is quite likely, same as the later movies. I was just a bit puzzled by the idea of hoping it doesn't get censored, as I wouldn't have thought there's much to censor, bar a few monsters that might be too much for small children.

Looks like decent production values at least, but I can't see myself getting into a Harry Potter game. I couldn't make it through any of the movies despite trying several times.

Yeah, I'm not a fan. I used to read lots of books to my sister, and many of them I quite enjoyed - Roald Dahl, The Secret Garden, The Redwall series, The Deptford Mice. I disliked Harry Potter very quickly. I also took her to see some of the films, and found the naps very refreshing.

I really liked the books and the movies. Though they start very much as kids books/movies, they do get more grim-dark the more the plot evolves. Of course, it's still fantasy. But it's great fun going over them. But I've only gotten to around book 5 IIRC. Been meaning to get back at them.

On the game, I hope it's not a cash grab. I hope the devs have passion for the IP and do it justice. It could be very fun if done right.

We'll see. First I saw the company had a long record, starting with Mortal Kombat 25 years ago.

But it had been recently closed by Disney, then it was acquired by Warned Bros and re-opened. So the current company may be quite different, and their first title (Cars 3) was so-so. They also seem very focused on consoles.

I like the setting and I'll keep an interested eye on it, but I won't pre-order it :)

Back
Top Bottom