What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

Glass

What an enormous disappointment. It's hard to believe that M. Night Shyamalan could follow up the brilliance of Unbreakable and Split with this piece of shit.

Shyamalan's movies have always fallen squarely into one of two categories: Memorable or completely forgettable. Glass is very much the latter.

Yeah, Shyamalan is a strange one. I mean, most directors drop the ball now and then, but I can't think of another one who can seem alternately very talented and completely hopeless.

Yeah, Shyamalan is a strange one. I mean, most directors drop the ball now and then, but I can't think of another one who can seem alternately very talented and completely hopeless.
Sums up his whole directing career basically, "alternately very talented & completely hopeless". A few hits, some average, and a few just crap. It's a real Brain-twister.

That's very disappointing to hear about Glass, I'll still watch it when the film makes its way to movie channels, but now my expectations will be crushed.

I'm not sure if this would exactly qualify as a film/movie, probably more of a documentary on the aftermath of the Civil War, specifically in the southern states called Reconstruction: America After the Civil War. This period tends never to get the same coverage as the actual war years do, yet I find it absolutely fascinating, all the changes that happened in a very short amount of time....and then were quickly, for the most part, rolled back into obscurity. I saw it on PBS, and if this time period is of any interest to you, I highly recommend viewing it.

Pet Sematary

It was pretty good especially considering how bad most remakes are. It sticks close to the original plot, but they throw in a few twists that are neat if you're already familiar with the story.

Worth seeing if you liked the original film or if you're a fan of Stephen King in general.

Glass

What an enormous disappointment. It's hard to believe that M. Night Shyamalan could follow up the brilliance of Unbreakable and Split with this piece of shit.

Shyamalan's movies have always fallen squarely into one of two categories: Memorable or completely forgettable. Glass is very much the latter.

I actually just saw this as well and it was fairly horrible :p That ending (and its buildup) just had me repeating, "is that it?" over and over.

Would you say it is better than the original. I remember seeing the original in the theater when it came out and er it was not what we were expecting but it was very good.

Pet Sematary

It was pretty good especially considering how bad most remakes are. It sticks close to the original plot, but they throw in a few twists that are neat if you're already familiar with the story.

Worth seeing if you liked the original film or if you're a fan of Stephen King in general.

Saw Shazam last night and really enjoyed it. It was great fun and I've loved Zach Levi since his Chuck days. It won't win any awards, but it's a pleasant escape from cares of the world; your kids will love it.

Would you say it is better than the original. I remember seeing the original in the theater when it came out and er it was not what we were expecting but it was very good.

I actually re-watched the original the next day, and I'd say no. I don't think the remake is objectively worse though.

I think the original still has the better overall atmosphere though not by much. The acting is very uneven in the original however, and some of it is even cringeworthy. The original is also more true to Stephen King's novel.

Pacific Rim: Uprising

Utter crap.

Honestly, there's really not much more I can say. I can't think of a single redeeming quality, and I wish I could have that hour and 51 minutes of my life back. It was so ridiculous that it made the first movie seem intelligent and deep by comparison.

Memorable or complete failures. He has a long history of consistent inconsistency. A shame about Glass it looked promising

Glass really is a stinker. It's one of those films that wasn't just bad, but actively irritated me with the special way in which it sucked.

I'd say not a total disgrace like Airbender, in that it does have some good qualities, rather than atrocious across the board. The performances were OK, and you could imagine how they might have made a decent film with another script. But the story is contrived and lame, and the writing just grinds my gears.

EDIT: I'd say that the best way to describe it is that it exists to tie Unbreakable and Split together, which both stood on their own, and didn't really seem connected. And this is a very contrived attempt to connect them into a larger whole, which should have gone in the wastepaper bin after the first draft.

Last edited:
I remember seeing trailers for this film, "A Simple Plan". Now, I'd read the book rather recently, so I wound up not checking out the movie. Last night it was on the telly, so I gave it a watch. As usual for me, the film doesn't measure up to the novel, but I still enjoyed viewing it, they wound up having a pretty good cast.

Slow wet day; saw a couple of movies - blackkklansman (really quite good - thought it would be a dub but enjoyed it) and gentlemen prefer blonds - i enjoyed the singing the rest was non-sense but light non-sense. I don't remember very many recent movies with lots of singing. I mean you have the occasional dedicated musical but even those are few and far between - and often forced.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom