Dragon's Dogma - Previews

Dhruin

SasqWatch
I had intended to take a look at Dragon's Dogma, anyway, but Alrik sent in a link so we may as well jump in. Dragon's Dogma is a console-only open-world action/adventure/RPG-lite from Capcom and the producer of Devil May Cry 4. Some previews from a week or two back:

Trailer at Youtube
...and a snip from GameSpot:
We're not just referring to the title when we say that Dragon's Dogma is an interesting beast. This upcoming Capcom game is an original IP from a publisher that's well known for squeezing the most it can out of its established franchises, which is certainly novel in and of itself. But perhaps more interesting is the combination of setting and genre. Despite the fact that this is an open-world fantasy game in the vein of the Elder Scrolls series, it's not a role-playing game; rather, it's a frenetic sword-and-sorcery action game. Thus, leveling up and rolling invisible dice take a back seat to using quick reflexes and clobbering the ever-loving snot out of anything unfortunate enough to get caught in your way.
Allow us to clarify. We're talking about a game where you can set a goblin on fire, pick him up, and throw him into a group of his goblin buddies like a living Molotov cocktail. It's also a game where you can jump onto a griffin soaring majestically in the air and then stab it in the head so many times that it falls back down to earth in a sad heap of feathers and twisted limbs. It's almost if the minds behind Devil May Cry made a game heavily inspired by Lord of the Rings. And when we say "almost" we mean "exactly" because Dragon's Dogma director Hideaki Itsuno and producer Hiroyuki Koboyashi also held those same respective titles on Devil May Cry 4. You don't have to dig deep to find that high-action influence here.
More information.

Destructoid:

When asked about the possibility of a PC version, the developers laughed. (Seriously.)

I was thinking that the game looked pretty good, but then I came to that last little nugget. So screw them. (Seriously)

I have more than enough games to pass the time away with. I don't need another console hack and slash POS game from a developer like that.

Thanks, but no thanks.

Destructoid:

I was thinking that the game looked pretty good, but then I came to that last little nugget. So screw them. (Seriously)

I have more than enough games to pass the time away with. I don't need another console hack and slash POS game from a developer like that.

Thanks, but no thanks.

Its Japan they have always shunned the pc in favor of the console, No clue why as most of the console games are developed on a pc. I'm not counting the thousands of hentai and date sims that are available.

Though Destructoid needs to get there facts straight, Here is a snip from 1up.

And while the game is currently only scheduled for release on Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 in early 2012, that doesn't mean that a PC version has been ruled out. Asked if such a version could also see release, the Japanese producers immediately laughed and became animated upon hearing the word "PC," with translator Miguel Corti revealing that they had anticipated the question coming up during the event.

"Right now, nothing's off the table yet," admits Kobayashi. "But if the PC users out there really are vocal about having this game, then we can definitely consider it."

Computer gamers, get your petitions ready. For more on Dragon's Dogma and our impressions from the presentation and brief demo at Captivate, be sure to check out our new preview of the game.

Link:http://www.1up.com/news/dragon-dogma-could-come-to-pc

Last edited:
Wow almost seems like a willful misrepresentation of the event doesn't it?

It looks like Destuctoid is one you can't trust and are a bunch of pricks.

PS. Actually there are a lot of non Hentai PC games that come out in Japan and while probably not as many as other places is a large amount. The problem is that they never come outside of Japan. I have played a couple of fan translations of Japanese PC games. (which were jrpgs that were PC exclusive)

Wow almost seems like a willful misrepresentation of the event doesn't it?

Sounds like a true communication problem to me :

How was the "laughing out" intended :

- as a scornful laugh ?
- as a laughter of surprise ?

There's the question of intentions.

And you usually find it out the context, via gestures and face expressions.

Seems that there has been a problem here.

It looks like Destuctoid is one you can't trust and are a bunch of pricks.

PS. Actually there are a lot of non Hentai PC games that come out in Japan and while probably not as many as other places is a large amount. The problem is that they never come outside of Japan. I have played a couple of fan translations of Japanese PC games. (which were jrpgs that were PC exclusive)

I agree there are other rpgs and I have played a few. Especially the SRPGS. I have imported a few and tried to translate as I played. Its to bad they dont invest in oversea sales.

Sounds like a true communication problem to me :

How was the "laughing out" intended :

- as a scornful laugh ?
- as a laughter of surprise ?

The meaning of the laughter could have honestly been taken as ambiguous; leaving out the words and reactions that came after it seems less so.

I'd also note that most Japanese will never directly tell you "no". It's generally considered rude to be that direct. I can't say if their maybe here is a no or a genuine maybe but it doesn't seem to be a huge priority for them. Perhaps if some other publisher takes notice of this game and is willing to do all the work for a PC port it may happen someday, but I wouldn't expect much from Capcom.

There definitely are Japanese CRPGs but they seem to almost never get official translations unless they get a console port. Some of the console JRPGs, like the Ys series and other Falcom games, actually started out on the PC.

I think it's perceived there's not much of a market in the US/Europe for JRPGs on the PC. I know when Final Fantasy 7 and 8 came out for the PC years ago they really didn't do that well.

On the other hand, I think the open-ended, sandbox nature of this game is particularly well suited to the PC RPG audience. We'll see what happens but I don't have much hope. :-/

The PC versions of Final Fantasy 7 and 8 along with other PC ports of jrpgs have been crap and is probably the entire reason for their failure.

Actually, Capcom is one of the japanese 'console' publishers that has graced PC gaming with PC versions of some Street Fighter, Devil May Cry, Bionic Commando, Dead Rising, Lost Planet and Resident Evil games.

In contrast to Namco-Bandai which only released 1 PC title.

Since Square Enix has gobbled up Eidos they too have begun publishing for PC. Still, their flagship japanese titles do not see release on PC in the west. Most of their PC releases in the west are already western developed games.

In the end Capcom is about the only japanese publsher who in the last 5 years has released their flagship japanese titles in the west on PC with aforementioned Devil May Cry, Street Fighter and Resident Evil all receiving PC release 6 months later than consoles. If the title sells badly on consoles there might not be a PC release.

Maybe they don't simultaniously release it, but western publishers (Ubisoft) who used to have PC as launch platform are now also releasing games months after console release.

So I'd say, that with Capcom as publisher the chances of the game getting a PC release in the west has gone up from 0% to 50%.

The PC versions of Final Fantasy 7 and 8 along with other PC ports of jrpgs have been crap and is probably the entire reason for their failure.

Yeah if you look at reviews of the pc versions, while they did score relatively decently they scored lower than the console versions. Each of those reviews noted the poor job of porting and the technical problems as the reason for taking off points. PC Gamer I believe said it was clear that they had done just enough of a job for it to work in windows (and barely) and stopped with that. Despite that though, they generally still scored the game high and said that even with the problems and poor job of porting that it was worth playing. Non-US PC sales were estimated to be on par with AAA releases of its time non-specific to the genre. US sales figures are hard to come by.

When they did the FF7 port to PC I read they actually threw out the original art for the backgrounds so they didn't have it rescan at a higher resolution and had to blow it up. Of course the result was that it ended up looking pixelated and just generally bad.

Back
Top Bottom