The TV Series discussion thread

Let us know how the Expanse is. I watched a short trailer and it looks good.

Then again Disney already said they don't care about the old fan-base.

Nah, they really didn’t ... what they said was “if you are unwilling to update a franchise and take chances, you might as well stick it in a museum and watch it get old”

Very different.

ANYWAY ... I LOVED chapter 6 of Mandalorian. It was the longest one yet, and felt like a real adventure - sure it is still very episodic., but it brought a lot more potential plot advancement than we’ve seen in a while.

I also really enjoyed #5 though iI agree it was the weakest of the series. I love the actress Ming Na since she was on ER, but she was wasted there. You know there is ‘more to the story’, but like so much else I do wish they spent a bit more time getting to the point rather than just ‘freak of the week’ stuff.

Anyway I'm interested in two new shows on Fox called 911 Lone Star & Deputy.

Last edited:
Have you watched the original 911 show? We caught a couple of episodes - enough to enjoy but not track.
It's similar to Rescue me but different. Probably not for everyone.

The spin-off is based on Texas and I used to live there.

On the plus side Liv Tyler has a major role in the new series.

It's similar to Rescue me but different. Probably not for everyone.

The spin-off is based on Texas and I used to live there.

On the plus side Liv Tyler has a major role in the new series.

Oh cool - definitely better actress than JL Hewitt! Will see if it hits Hulu and check it out.

I love that edit, but I love something else more. Tomorrow TW series should appear and I'm not Cavill fan. Wasn't. Till I saw this today:
https://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/culture/article/henry-cavill-interview-2019
Henry Cavill would rather be at home right now, without the fame, without the attention, sitting at his gaming PC in shorts and a T-shirt, playing Total War: Warhammer II.

Yes, Henry Cavill. Superman.
Stop the presses… Did they write PC there?
I'm caught in a trap but somehow I don't mind.

…been known for years. He always talks about it in interviews, but it's usually WoW he talks about. He's also a big Witcher 3 fan and bugged Netflix until he got the role.

Edit: saw the first episode of Witcher. It felt kind of cheap to be honest, not everything (it had some epic fighting scenes actually). I think much of the cheap feel is due to how ugly it looks with that cheap ass filter they use. It reminds me of a cheaply produced black metal video from the 90's "we gotta make it look depressing!" Very overprocessed and cringy. I liked Cavill, as for the rest, there was no one that really stood out, they're decent but also generic actors. This is not GoT where you're flooded by great actors/characters. I'll continue to watch though but yeah, don't expect GoT season 1 or something ;)

Last edited:
I tried watching the first episode of Mandalorian the other day, I gave up after twenty minutes or so. My standard for Star Wars fair is pretty simple….it needs to be of Empire quality, or I just do without. Likely that means I won't care for any recent Star Wars releases, and so far that seems pretty accurate, and I'm ok with that.

Yet nothing on how it does not match empire quality.

From the looks of it, this series has solved certain issues the last trilogy suffered from.
It is already a mass phenomenom on YT, alike to GOT and from what was gathered watching those vids is they returned to the roots.

One of the big issues of the latest trilogy is it found itself orphan of absolute evil.
Palpatine, Lord Vader were convenient and comfortable: as long as they were in play, the question of evil was suspended. They were the embodiment of evil, pointless to look elsewhere.

That is why the american system presses for that notion of absolute evil, people are only evil when they are absolutely evil. It sets a bar. As long as it is not met, well, all good, no evil.

Once the emperor Palpatine, Lord Vader were gone, the question of evil sprung back. And all the accusation of agendas with people feeling that once their umbrella had been removed, they were exposed as evil.

It seems that this series, from what was gathered watching videos, solved the issue.

Storywise, it looks like an uninspired cheap rip off of Lone Wof and Cub. It is packed with memes etc A show off show.

The hero is somehow a TW3 kind of hero, a strong guy who lives by his own rules. He does not bow to an emperor. But he does not kill babies. Killing babies would be absolute evil, right. This guy can do a lot of things, he wont be evil as he operates under the umbrella of absolute evil.

Back again to one strength of the first and second trilogies. From the reception, it seems they hit the ball on this strike.

It is possible to see how they managed to recover some of the lost comfort provided by the SW previous trilogies.

It is less straightforward to see what is missing to reach that empire quality.

…been known for years. He always talks about it in interviews, but it's usually WoW he talks about. He's also a big Witcher 3 fan and bugged Netflix until he got the role.

Edit: saw the first episode of Witcher. It felt kind of cheap to be honest, not everything (it had some epic fighting scenes actually). I think much of the cheap feel is due to how ugly it looks with that cheap ass filter they use. It reminds me of a cheaply produced black metal video from the 90's "we gotta make it look depressing!" Very overprocessed and cringy. I liked Cavill, as for the rest, there was no one that really stood out, they're decent but also generic actors. This is not GoT where you're flooded by great actors/characters. I'll continue to watch though but yeah, don't expect GoT season 1 or something ;)

Expectations sub...dued ;)

I think having low expectations for this series is a good thing going in.

I think having low expectations for this series is a good thing going in.

Yes. Think fan-film or indie. Expect GoT and well, you're gonna be disappointed for sure.

Better yet, find the Polish Witcher TV-series with subtitles.. you're gonna love this show after watching that lol

So, it's like The Mandalorian. That's disappointing.

Considering the budget of these series, then both are disappointing... Mandalorian S1 costing the same as the three LOTR movies.. This is way lower budget than that though and it shows.. Think "300" where it looks like a music video but also quite fake.

Considering the budget of these series, then both are disappointing… Mandalorian S1 costing the same as the three LOTR movies.. This is way lower budget than that though and it shows.. Think "300" where it looks like a music video but also quite fake.

I thought 300 looked pretty good for the most part. They tried to imitate the style of a graphic novel. I liked it quite a bit despite the homosexual undertone which was annoying.

About to watch the first episode of The Witcher right now..

After months of quietly saying "please-be-good-please-be-good-please-be-good" in the back of my mind, I finally watched the first episode of The Witcher. And now I can give a sigh of relief. It's good.

So, it's like The Mandalorian. That's disappointing.
It's not. Whatever is supposed to be like Mandalorian, just isn't.
I thought 300 looked pretty good for the most part. They tried to imitate the style of a graphic novel. I liked it quite a bit despite the homosexual undertone which was annoying.

About to watch the first episode of The Witcher right now..
300 was style over substance movie. It did have some substance just to count unlike the recent overrated Midsommar idiocy, but Hollywood wouldn't be Hollywood if they sticked to the source material. They just had to change the story in some parts. Because only the minority who were raised on greek myths protested (me), they massacred the story even more in the sequel.
What homosexual undertones man? I wish there was anything sexual in the movie. There just wasn't. It was all an eyepleasing kindergarden kiddie product and nothing more than that.

I'm 5 episodes in Netflix' The Witcher.

The first episode is so far the weakest and only because of the trashmob. It doesn't feel real which is not this show's fault, Hollywood can't make realistic physics for nonexisting creatures or objects and should learn a thing or two from russia and china when it comes to CGI/dolls physics.

Episodes don't follow a timeline but present doings from forward and from back in time without any reason. Some will like it, but not me. The Witcher is not supposed to be a mindfuck scifi thriller of a sort nor irritating unable to tell a story properly overrated junk (Donnie Darko).

Time mashup aside, generally writing is hit and miss. I smiled on some remarks but also was highly irritated on hollywood's scriptwriter dumb&dumber "modernization" of the chatty. Reverse psychology? Spa? Those are common words in the world of the witcher? Why the editor didn't cut out such idiocies beats me.

Speaking of "modernization", SJW/PC is in there, because it's modern to enforce it on the audience who can't care less about that bullshit. To be honest it didn't bother me much until I saw Triss Marigold. Okay she can't be excat materialization of what a person imagines her to look like, but I assure you, unlike the game model, the one is the show ain't no marigold! Tell me I'm wrong, tell me that Triss is exactly what you imagined and tell me this isn't the flower of the same name:
9339268571_28e5b57690_o.jpg

On the other hand, soon after you get disturbed by Triss pick (nothing against the actress, it's just not her), you get to see king Foltest. I won't spoil who took the role, but I yelled "yes!". Didn't expect that and IMO they couldn't give the role to a better face.

Other cast… Didn't think Superman can pull the Geralt role previously, now I believe he was an awsome choice, probably thanks to not changing Cuckle's presentation with frequent hmm-s. So far he also nailed the very good wuxia coreography assuming it was him and not some stuntman double.
The same goes for Yen and Ciri, good picks for the role, so far they didn't break the screen illusion at any point.

Overall visuals are okay, music too although I'd love more if the world was more windy as in the game and if series had folk scores from the game, but honestly can't complain much. Can complain only on the striga fight that was too dark but okay, it does happen during night so there's that.

As I said I'm 5 episondes in.
If you're the game fan like me, this is a mustwatch.
If you're books fan… Not sure what to do. I'm not.
If you couldn't stand the game, do me a favor and skip this, watch whatever drama/history/war/biography nonsense instead. :)

btw imdb says cca 9 out of 10.
Nah. Should be strong between 7-8 for game fans, 9-10 only for sjw/pc revisionists and 2-3 for everyone who thought this is yet another neverending story by Martin (not 1 because there are boobs!).

Back
Top Bottom