Game with the biggest emotional impact?

West of House

You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
There is a small mailbox here.

… also some additional rant:

By default, I do not consider horror stuff "emotional".
Fear is a very simple yet very powerful emotion, hence it is much more easier to pull off than, say, awe, love (not arousal!) or grief in a videogame.
As such, I find horror/shock very manipulative -- which can be great fun purely on a kitsch level, but nothing else.

While all emotional stuff is manipulative to some extent, the best emotional stuff has a strong moral (or "meaning") that authenticates the whole thing:
A real emotional game will bug you long after finish, and even provokes you to think on subjects you don't really want to.

Last edited:
So this answer is kind of lame, but I felt a flood of emotions playing wow classic for a month last fall. I had so many good memories of rushing home to run 5 mans with my irl friends. The music in particular got to me, the barrens soundtrack especially. Sadly the actual moment by moment game play of wow classic is pretty boring, and once the flood of nostalgic feelings stopped I promptly quit.

I understand that tenebroustenor, when my raid team beat the Lich King, it was a real high moment, something in my eye when I remember that team, the laughs, the comedy names we gave the bosses. I quit wow after 12 years just before classic came out.

West of House

You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
There is a small mailbox here.
Open mailbox

There's a leaflet inside.

Read leaflet

Welcome to Zork!

Zork is a game of adventure, danger, and low cunning. In it you will explore some of the most amazing territory ever seen by mortal man. Hardened adventurers have run screaming from the terrors contained within. In Zork, the intrepid explorer delves into the forgotten secrets of a lost labyrinth deep in the bowels of the earth, searching for vast treasures long hidden from prying eyes, treasures guarded by fearsome monsters and diabolical traps!

No vBulletin board should be without one!

Man, I played the hell out of the Infocom text adventures when I was a kid. Wrote one of my own. I don't remember if it was any good, but I distinctly recall struggling with, and eventually pulling off, the mechanics of moving characters and objects, inspired by dodging pirates in Cutthroat and sweeping searchlights in Border Zone.

Back
Top Bottom