Baldur's Gate 3 - Gameplay & Interview Videos

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
A gameplay video for Baldur's Gate 3 and some interviews with Swen Vincke are available for your perusal.

Get an exclusive look at Baldur's Gate 3 gameplay in this live stream that kicked off D&D Live 2020. Larian Studios' Swen Vincke plays the game and gives fans a great look at the upcoming game.

After a short Baldur's Gate 3 demo we sat down with Larian's founder Swen Vincke to talk about the early access plans as well as the huge scope of the game.

Larian Studios founder Swen Vincke speaks with us about telling a story in a game where you're free to do anything, and how Baldur's Gate 3 is becoming more like Dungeons and Dragons over time.
Thanks Couchpotato!

More information.

It looks very impressive, definitely excited to see how this turns out.

Very glad to see that they changed the initiative system to be per character rather than the whole faction averaged out or whatever was the formula. I would have still enjoyed the other system, but much prefer it this way.

For the rest, the game looks massive and gorgeous, can't wait to play it... in it's final release after the Early Access is done.

Has anyone seen gameplay or screenshots of a living city?

Unfortunately Lame Larians games are not only boring, the tactical combat also becomes impossible to make out, so many stupid 3D map elements get in the way of which character is under what friggin' liana, tree or object. Also Larian continuously serves you cake that they diligently shat in as an added flavor, because they think shit and cakes go together and they feed it to you, until your head becomes full of it..

Unfortunately Lame Larians games are not only boring, the tactical combat also becomes impossible to make out, so many stupid 3D map elements get in the way of which character is under what friggin' liana, tree or object. Also Larian continuously serves you cake that they diligently shat in as an added flavor, because they think shit and cakes go together and they feed it to you, until your head becomes full of it..

Yeah, you don't like Larian, we understood the message.

Just had a quick look, this now looks like some kind if hybrid 3rd person/top view camera? Seeing the horizon would be a big plus for me. D:OS are already 3D games but having that top down view, plus being trapped relatively close down to the characters, felt artificially limited to me. In D:OS, I always want to zoom out, but can't.
Ahhh, and the dialog narrator has left the boat, nice.

Thanks for posting. Couchpotato had a link that showed a Githyanki. That alone will make me buy this game. Just the greatest humanoid ever invented by D&D and GRR Martin. Now if we could only chose one as a player character like in D&D 5e.

Just had a quick look, this now looks like some kind if hybrid 3rd person/top view camera? Seeing the horizon would be a big plus for me.

Yeah, it seems to be playable in a following camera, third-person mode. I suspect they've done that in part to facilitate the Stadia version, which uses a console controller and will be more suited to that style of navigation.

He says he's not sure if they can release on the current consoles, and I reckon that's down to the memory limitations, which are pretty brutal.

I loved seeing all the environmental hazards every time there was a fight. So unrealistic and the reason I couldn't get into the DOS series.

Unfortunately Lame Larians games...
Usually I thumb up all @mercy;'s posts, but can't this one.
Why?

Because what we can see in videos above is early access beta build that might be the game, but also might end up completely scrapped.

Does anyone else find the jumping they show in these preliminary gameplay videos disturbing? I get it if a mage can teleport, but a rogue that jumps tens of meters from low ground to the roof of a building is another matter...Fantasy is not realistic by definition, but that stuff kind of eats the immersion.

I really enjoyed D:OS2, but the race to get teleport skills for all characters as early as possible was not my favorite part of the game. IMO, teleporting makes the battlefield too dynamic. The chess-like positioning of shield-wall (f.ex. Expeditions Vikings) does not count because enemies can teleport behind the wall to beat up your ranged characters.

The original BG cames used teleporting (those annoying spiders), but sparingly and each time it did, my strategy was screwed and I panicked. That was a nice surprise and variation to the otherwise pretty monotonic battle. D:OS2, on the other hand, used it too much...

I didnt plan to get it while still in EA, but thanks to c2077 being delayed, i need to play this asap.

Usually I thumb up all @mercy;'s posts, but can't this one.
Why?

Because what we can see in videos above is early access beta build that might be the game, but also might end up completely scrapped.

Wait... are you and mercy the same person?! :biggrin:

Does anyone else find the jumping they show in these preliminary gameplay videos disturbing? I get it if a mage can teleport, but a rogue that jumps tens of meters from low ground to the roof of a building is another matter…Fantasy is not realistic by definition, but that stuff kind of eats the immersion.
I didn't like that in DOS1/2. All of the non-casters hat some abilities where they could perform actions clearly contradicting laws of physics. That's something that should be done with spells or spell-like abilities that are rooted in lore and setting.

I really hope they stay true to the DnD ruleset here.

However there has always been some weird stuff as well. For example in DnD3.5 (at least in Neverwinter Nights) there was the feat "Hide in Plain Sight" where the character could enter stealth mode even when he was in plain sight of other creatures.
It was most automatically granted to Shadowdancers, which is a Prestige Class. The backgroud was the Shadowdancers connection with the Shado Plane. So that made sense.
But also high-level common rangers could select this feat. Even if their Wisdom was too low to cast any divine spells. It was never specified how exactly this should work.

hate to say it but it does look like DOS2 with a baldurs gate "skin"

Back
Top Bottom