Daggerdale - Trailer @ IGN

People complain that developers throw big budgets at games and as a result have to target the mainsteam. Now you get a game like daggerdale that isn't a AAA title (just a quick download title), with corresponding low-budget graphics and people complain about it looking out of date! :p Devs can't win ;)

People complain that developers throw big budgets at games and as a result have to target the mainsteam. Now you get a game like daggerdale that isn't a AAA title (just a quick download title), with corresponding low-budget graphics and people complain about it looking out of date! :p Devs can't win ;)

I just want a *real* D&D game, not some real-time hack&slash fest. It doesn't have to have top notch graphics.

the way those thousands of monsters rushed at you, it made me think of a good idea for a game: one that has the look and feel of Jason and the Argonauts. Could you see Hercules joining but leaving your party just when you need him the most?

I don't care if the graphics are bad, I just want them to make a real D&D rpg. Not a hack n' slash.

D&D *is* hack and slash. That's always been what the ruleset is best for. There are better systems for roleplay or whatever.

D&D *is* hack and slash. That's always been what the ruleset is best for. There are better systems for roleplay or whatever.

Huh? I certainly haven't seen very many Dn'D hack n' slash games in my life, unless you and I have vastly different definitions of what "hack n' slash" means. If by "hack n' slash" you mean "combat-focused" then I can sort of understand what you mean. Even then, a game like Icewind Dale is a very tactical experience, even with its focus on combat. I don't view it as a "hack n' slash" in the way that I perceive a "hack n' slash."

What?

Maybe you're talking about what YOU have been using the ruleset for - but I can assure you it's not what I've been using it for in the last 20 years.

D&D has always been a quick system, so as to avoid bogging the game down in complex mechanics during play - but that's not exactly the same as hack and slash.

If they have to go for a more "accessible" Action-RPG system than, say, Icewind Dale----the best move is to always pick up where Capcom left off on the D&D Arcade/Saturn brawlers.

Some serious potential left on the table there to actually do interesting things with the lot of it...

One can, and I do, use D&D for non-hack and slash focused campaigns, but it's clear that the main focus of the system has always been combat. There are much better RPG systems if you want character development etc. in socio/political or other non-combat areas.

You are exactly answering a question I hd written here yesterday evening - but deleted it again, before I sent it, because I thought it would be considered as me repeating myself over and over again ...

So, for that : Thanks.

Lol how tags shift, Hack & Slash always mean heavily combat oriented, not at all action nor stupid and/or basic. :)

Well, DaggerDale is about nothing but Hack & Slay ... Interestingly I've just found a workshop announcement of the RPC here in Germany, named : "Dungeons And Dragons Goes Storytelling" ...
Which is - in fact - the exact opposite to DaggerDale as a Hack & Slay game ...

I' not sure whether I'll be able to be there (at this particular workshop), but it sounds funny...

http://www.rpc-germany.de/

Back
Top Bottom