Gothic 3 Solo mage after a decade break :)

Yeah, the only summoned creature I actually use is the demon, mainly because it looks cool.

Will demon be a good tank? In g2 notr he was also dealing massive dmg!

Btw, do u have any exp with spells in the new cp like 1.74 - some changes have been introduced regarding casting.

i really love FB so i guess i will go for meteor and firerain too . i saw a utune vid and again it tickled my fancy.

i will have to also test out ice wave - in g2 icewave and iceblock were really useful.

and i just got 2 magic staves one with +40 mana and the other with lots of defence bonuses. I also have 3rd stuff with 110 str req but 75 dmg so it is better then the sword i use with 50 blade dmg i guess.

i only got fireball and icelace now all goes into ak which atm is 175 at clvl 18. I want to get mana regen asap so i need to hit 200 and save up 30 lp for The skill.

i might also grab mana potions for the 3 points as it will make my life way easier while leveling for the mana regen. Well , staff, magic staff and mana potion is only 12 LP so just one level :)

i have a few questions:
- shall i grab staff and magic staff skill once i get mana regen or prioritize other stuff?
- what will be the fastest way to get mana regen now? Where and from whom?

Get mana regen from Saturas in the ruins of Al Shedim near Mora Sul. There is a teleporter stone in a basket in the raised circle near Saturas for easy access. There is also a +5 (+3) stone tablet near Myxir that most miss. Go up the dead end stairs near him and it will be on a ledge fragment to your right.

The demon is a better tank than damage dealer. He'll keep groups occupied so they won't all rush you but you'll do most of the killing.

About spells, here is how i'd rank them. :)

Innos Magic:

1. Light = It is a prequisite for many spells. Usefullness: 2/5, since game has so many light spell scrolls, you don't often end up using your rune version of it.
  2. Cure disease: 3/5. Diseases aren't that common, but does it exactly what it promises and you must learn it if you wish to learn the healing spell.
  3. Cure poison: 3/5. Poison can be avoided quite easily, but this spell can be a real life saver. There are ofcourse quite many spell scrolls and cure poison potions, so I'm not sure if it worth of spending learning points if you really want to optimize.
  4. Healing: 5/5 Very usefull in pariticular if you get the mana regeneration.
  5. Heal other: 2/5 Usefull for keeping companions and quest givers alive, but there is no shortage of healing potions and the game throws at you heal other spell scrolls from chests.
  6. Summon flaming sword: 2/5. It is a fun spell sure. The downside however is that you can't use a shield while using this spell. The spell shines for a paladin type build. Even though Ancient knowledge improves magic damage, I think this spell benefits more from strenght and melee perks.
  7. Fireball: 5/5. A good all around attack spell. Only weakness is the fire golem which is immune to fire magic, but you should not encounter many them.
  8. Banish evil: 4/5. This thing destroyes beliar's creatures such as zombies, mummies and skeletons and other type of undead. It doesn't work on orcs however since they are now "creatures of Adanos."
  9. Flame wave: 4/5 awesome attack spell. Works really well against groups of enemies. Destroyes small packs instantly. Highly usefull for a mage. Paladin may learn this as well, but this spell really benefits from high ancient knowledge and firemage perk. It is a great battle opener. :)
  10. Meteor: 5/5 an other gift from innos. Destroys pretty much anything. Requires you to choose Innos though.
  11. Word of dominance: 2/5. you can command any (friendly) human to be your follower. Since innos magic doesn't have summoning spells, this is Innos version of it. It can be quite fun to force a paladin to be your guardian, but I'd rather get a summon skeleton or something.
  12. Bless weapon: 2/5. Ok so your weapon gains 10 extra point of damage. Requires you to choose Innos.
  13. Fire rain: 5/5. Great attack spell. Destroyes pretty much anything on it's path. Great radius as well. Only weakness is the long casting time. Can be used as a battle opener. Requires great ammount of mana and AK to be worthwhile. And you must choose to follow Innos I think.

Adanos magic
  1. Telekinesis: 2.5/5 Solid utility spell for certain purposes. Lets you steal stuff afar.
  2. Summon animals: 2/5. Cast this on an animal and rest of the creatures near by turn it against it. Like lets say you wanted to kill 3 ripper beast. Now you can cast this spell on one of them and the other two will make short work of their former friend.
  3. Tame animal: 3/5 Cast this on an animal and it becomes your follower. Kind of fun since it works on every type of animal. Ever wanted to have a friendly shadowbeast? :) More dangerous animal - higher ak required.
  4. Ice lance: 5/5 Great attack spell. Ice lance can stop enemies even if it doesn't kill them. Maybe not as powerfull damage wise as fireball or lightning bolt, but it has certain tactical advantages which the other two lack.
  5. Sleep: 2.5/5. Fun utility spell. Can be usefull while in towns. You can easily rob the whole place clean with this spell.
  6. Summon Goblin: 2/5. Its a solid summoning spell. The goblin is just not very resistant to damage. So don't expect it to last long.
  7. Animal form: 1/5. I never understood the point of this spell. Sure you can target an animal and change your form, but what is the point? During the game you come across so many tranformation scrolls and druid stones that spending valuable lps on this is just wastefull.
  8. Ice explosion: 5/5. Great attack spell. High damage output and fast casting time.
  9. Frost wave: 4/5. Works just like the fire wawe. And it freezes everyone. Not as powerfull damage wise as the ice explosion, but it has better reach. Can be quite usefull in large battles when you just want stop large number of enemies.
  10. Open locks: 3/5. Usefull utility spell. Sadly it requires so much ancient knowledge and mana to cast that its just easier to learn the open lock skill.
  11. Summon Golem: 3/5. Works as a tank alright, but golem is not a good damage dealer. Requires you to choose Adanos.
  12. Time bubble: 4/5. Great defensive spell. It basicly slows time inside the bubble. Usefull for a fighter mage type build. Requires you to choose Adanos.
  13. Hailstorm: 5/5. Like firerain, but an adanos version of it. I think it may even have a longer reach than fire rain. Requires you to choose Adanos.

Beliar magic:
  1. Transfer disease. 1/5. Crap. I really don't rememeber ever using this spell. Maybe usefull in the arenas or duels, if you wish to weaken your opponent?
  2. Poison: 1/5. Kind of crap as well. :) Sure it poisons enemies, but if you just wanted to kill someone, there are way more effective spells for that purpose.
  3. Amnesia: 2/5. Solid utility spell. If you piss someone off, cast this on him and he forgets the crime you did.
  4. Terror: 2.5/5. Causes terror in enemy ranks. Doesn't kill them though.
  5. Fog: 0/5. I honestly don't know what this spell does. The most useless spell in entire game.
  6. Bloodlust: 4/5 Works like terror expect now enemies want to kill eachother. Fun times :
  7. Summon skeleton: 3/5. Better than a goblin, not as resistant as Golem. Weakness for fire I think. Shamans just rip them in pieces.
  8. Night into day: 2/5. This spell basicly heals you completly like you had rested a whole day. I'd rather just get the healing spell. Requires you to choose Beliar.
  9. Soul travel: 1.5/5. This spell allows you to scout ahead like entering certain areas which are guarded. Semi usefull at best.
  10. Summon demon: 5/5. Now we're talking. The ultimate summon spell.
  11. Summon lightning: 4.5/5. Awesome attack spell. Kind of like a meteor strike. Its not just as powerfull though. Great battle opener. Requires you to choose Beliar.
  12. Lightning bolt: 5/5. Solid basic attack spell. Faster than ice lance and firebalt, but maybe a bit weaker. The damage output is quite good still since you can cast more times and I think there aren't any enemies which are resistant to lightning damage.
  13. Army of darkness 3.5/5: Summons army of skeletons. A fun spell, but I kind of expected more. Skeletons are not that resistant really. Requires you to choose Beliar.

Btw… have you read http://s.g3cpt.de/manual/CP_1_7x_Manual.pdf It lists every spell and weapon etc and explains how things work. :)

Last edited:
Than you :) verwy thorough i will test some of too myself jyst for variety's sake.

I got to saturas finally and got this stone tablet on the ledge. He can teach also open locks so i will get it from him too :)

I will keep posting in this thread some general stuff - or is it better to start a new thread each time?

Well, I just hit clvl 21 and got my AK to 202 and aquired Mana Regen.

My skills: QL, Mana Regen, Fireball, Icelance only.

Mana, HP, endurance - base.

stone tablets: 34 + 1 with 6 AK. Most TP stones.

AK boosters consumed - 4 x bookshelves , 3 x stone pillars, and 1 x 6 AK stone tablet - I just could not wait to get Mana regen, which btw, is NOT as impressive as I thought it would be.

What skills / stats shall I prioritie now - tbh I am just beginning the game :)

EDIT: come to think of it - just an idea - maybe I should use the next 4 levels to get my AK to 250 at clvl 25 and then use all stone tablets to get my AK instantly to 350+? There are still a few stone tablets to get and read, so 400 ak looks easy without spending any LP over the 250 threshod when it costs double to raise it.

Cheers !

Last edited:
EDIT: come to think of it - just an idea - maybe I should use the next 4 levels to get my AK to 250 at clvl 25 and then use all stone tablets to get my AK instantly to 350+? There are still a few stone tablets to get and read, so 400 ak looks easy without spending any LP over the 250 threshod when it costs double to raise it.

Cheers !

Sure thing, and then stop putting points into it completely. I use a similar tactic in Gothic 2: NotR with mana there. Hold on to the permanent boosts, get it to the point where it's expensive, blow all the permanent boosts and never look back. Focus on other stuff after that.

This is what i am going to do :)

At the moment i have found a new hobby - looking for king sorrels /15/ flameberries /17/ and goblinberries /15/. And maybe when im tired i will see how many permapotions i can brew.

Btw, how much mana do you suggests with LP? 250 and later permapotions? There are plenty of kingsorrels 2 b found and it is only about 3 levels to get permapotions...

btw, i finally begin to fully enjoy the game as i got the druid robe /pretty strong/ and 2 staves - one with mana and the other for fighting.

Is there anything for head - any headgear - suitable for a magician?

Btw, how much mana do you suggests with LP? 250 and later permapotions? There are plenty of kingsorrels 2 b found and it is only about 3 levels to get permapotions…
I don't remember. What I seem to recall is that I rarely had an issue after getting mana regeneration, and that I primarily used permanent potions to boost strength/hunting and get some stuff there.

Is there anything for head - any headgear - suitable for a magician?
Yes, there is at least one item. I believe it's obtained via the main quest.

My mana currently sits at an unconfortable 160 - 100 base , 2 x 10 from rings and 40 from staff.

i must admit i am not impressed at by regen rate but from what i have read it depends also on overall size of mana pool so maybe mine is too small atm.

i mean, it does regen but in the heat of a battle it still takes too long and i still find myself using mana pots to speed things up but i dont mind it. Overall, it IS better then no regen at all but my subjective feeling is it is not /for me/ an automatic "i win" perk :)

Im clv 25 and need only 1 level to hit 25o AK threshold :)

I assume they changed it a bit in one of the later patches then, as it used to be completely overpowered. It basically regenerated so fast you could spam spells. No harm in getting some more mana at least, getting enough LPs for spells + mana shouldn't be a problem once you're done with AK.

Oh yes, and a tip that a surprising amount of people never realized: Charging the basic damage spell (fire, ice, lightning) by holding down the cast button turns it into a "homing" version that is much more likely to hit.

I am using 1.74, AB + AI on - maybe some changes have been introduced.

Yeap - charging FB turns it into an incredible honing missile - I was really amazed at the distance and its trajectory :)

But again one thing that surprises me - with AK at 362 and charged FB it still takes 2 or 3 shots to kill a shadow beast / monster. Not to mention trolls - it takes 5! Maybe more - I will have to check it ou whne home. I also noticed that the dmg of FB seems to vary, not depending on charged / not charged. Even fully charged FB seems to be doing varied amount of dmg? And I read about oneshotting monsters in Nordmar…

Maybe higher tier spells will be more damaging.

none the less, I am enjoying my mage a lot :) It is challenging.

Tbh, I have most fun when building the toon up, not actually playing an overpowered toon. For me, the best fun is the process of getting to the overpowered moment and then suddenly it all gets too easy and…I get bored. From what I see now the god moment will come late so it is good :)

EDIT: is it ok to kill the orcish patrol leader for druid runak? Or better to hold off killing orc and finish all side quests before?

Btw, my rep with orcs rose to 10 - does it have any negative effect on my wanting to join rebels? should i try to keep orc rep as low as possible ad nly build rep with cities? My rep with rebels now is 17.

Last edited:
But again one thing that surprises me - with AK at 362 and charged FB it still takes 2 or 3 shots to kill a shadow beast / monster. Not to mention trolls - it takes 5! Maybe more - I will have to check it ou whne home. I also noticed that the dmg of FB seems to vary, not depending on charged / not charged. Even fully charged FB seems to be doing varied amount of dmg? And I read about oneshotting monsters in Nordmar…

That does indeed sound a bit low. I seem to remember two-shotting orcs in Nordmar with the regular fireball. Time will tell how it turns out.

Tbh, I have most fun when building the toon up, not actually playing an overpowered toon. For me, the best fun is the process of getting to the overpowered moment and then suddenly it all gets too easy and…I get bored. From what I see now the god moment will come late so it is good :)

Yes, that was actually part of the problem before: There was no real reason to do anything in Nordmar. The character would be too strong, so everything felt boring.

EDIT: is it ok to kill the orcish patrol leader for druid runak? Or better to hold off killing orc and finish all side quests before?

Btw, my rep with orcs rose to 10 - does it have any negative effect on my wanting to join rebels? should i try to keep orc rep as low as possible ad nly build rep with cities? My rep with rebels now is 17.

There is mainly one thing to look out for: You need enough quests to get high enough reputation to get the "liberate" quest from the local rebel leader in any given camp. For the orcs, it's the same, but with "kill the rebels in the camp" quests. You get those quests when the leaders trust you, and those are the quests that you can't do too many of. Other than that, I seem to remember being able to do almost all the quests in the camps/cities before making the choice. Just don't talk to any of the leaders who gives quests like "Liberate Silden!" or "Umbrak wants you to kill some rebel". Avoid them, those leaders are the key.

Just don't talk to any of the leaders who gives quests like "Liberate Silden!" or "Umbrak wants you to kill some rebel". Avoid them, those leaders are the key." - well…not good as i seem to have 2 or 3 quests like this to destroy underground in cape dune for example but i just simply wanted to ignore them i.e. not to do them and do other quests mainly for rebels to build rep with them. Does it mean i am in a deep mess now?

edit: in my questlog:
- kill druid runak
- free gotha from curse
- destroy rebel underground in cape dun from uruk
- destroy rebel camp nemora from vak

Does it look bad ? I hope i dont have to start over. I simply ignore esp the quest from vak and iruk

i have not completed / done any quest against rebels.

Last edited:
I don't think so, I've finished the game twice (for Innos and Adanos) and had several eliminate rebel quests open. I don't recall any problems from simply not doing them.

I am currently clvl 29 (or 30 maybe...) with 364 AK and 30 free LP. All stats base atm, only 2 spells - FB and IL. I managed to get my mana up to 180 - 2x10 ring, 40 staff and 20 amulet.

I only wear druid robe, got rid of the helmet.

Now I will:
- get my hunting to 130 (already got 4 points from quests, 21 goblin berries in backpack so i need only 5 LP :) )
- next get silent hunter as prerequisite and all 3 basic hunting skills - skins, teeth claws etc which will cost 12 LP; i killed some monsters but did not loot them; i checked they are still there so hopfully when i get all these skills i can get not only meat from wolves...;)
- I will get smithing up (at slvl 101 - i must have got a point from some quest ) and grab prospecting - only 9 LP - there are sme quests that requie ore and nuggets and other stuff so 9 LP is less then 1 clvl - no big deal ;)
- so basically at clvl 29 / 30 I will be all set to focus on magic and mana - in the process i will grab improved robes too.
- i also have 18 flameberries and approx 30 king sorrels and plenty of other herbs so i will get alchemy too at some point for mana potions and permapotions.

Just thought i would share some of my thoughts and experience :)

cheers!

I've played a mage in G3 and found it a bad idea. Ice lance is pretty much an uber spell and the only spell that you need, and you can kill anything in any quantities. A demon is great, however, NPCs hate it, so you can run into problems if you have it around…

From the memories of that experience, I'd advise NOT to focus on Ice Lance.

What marred my experience was probably that I got mana regen early on. I can't remember what it was exactly, but it was something in a city blocked by an invisible sphere. A mana belt? Mana regen made Ice Lance an uber spell.

Hopefully you have a great experience with this game and being a mage.

edit: in my questlog:
- kill druid runak
- free gotha from curse
- destroy rebel underground in cape dun from uruk
- destroy rebel camp nemora from vak

Does it look bad ? I hope i dont have to start over. I simply ignore esp the quest from vak and iruk

i have not completed / done any quest against rebels.

It's fine, just don't actually do any of it, beyond the Gotha curse thing. Pretty sure you can do that one and it won't affect anything (just some Rebel reputation).

Back
Top Bottom