Anime Discussion Thread

Finally finished watching Princess Principal. A few days ago.
A great series indeed.
Can't say that is the best series of the year as Joxer says it is.
I have to see a few more to make sure.

But,yeah. Very good animation. Sweet girls. Fan service,mmm.
Story progression is right on track for 12 ep
Backstories are also good. And no girl from the squad is left a story untold.
Which is a very good addition in my book. As it makes you care more about the characters.

My favorite episodes are when they infiltrated the morgue,and we learn more about Dorothy.
The other is when they worked in the laundry.

Even my first cousin liked this one,which made me really surprised.
It is a Mystery/Slice of Life series...and he is all about action...Fate Night series for example.

Anyways. Really enjoyable anime. Also recommended to watch.

Also a big surprise for me. I checked what the Winter season has to offer.

And behold Basilisk: Ouka Ninpouchou
I was like,WOW man! Yeah!
I liked the Basilisk anime. Hope this will be good as well.

The opposite is Overlord II
Now,this one made me face-palm. How...How in the...Why...

My favorite episodes are when they infiltrated the morgue,and we learn more about Dorothy.
The other is when they worked in the laundry.
Right?

I can't possibly think of a person or a taste who won't like this series. But you could see in movies thread where I suggested something to Alrik and he instantly refused it just because it's anime. I'm not saying a person must experience everything possible during their lifetime (an example you don't have to actually kill someone) but his reaction seriously disappointed me - I felt like a messenger being shot.

It is a matter of personal taste. And perhaps prejudice towards Anime.
Which is fine.

But I don't know man. Are we still in times where people think so ill of Anime? As only for virgin autistic nerds? Only for socially awkward people(OK maybe this one lol)?
Or just regard it as a low level entertainment,something only 6 yo kids would only enjoy?

Juts the other day on some Twitch channel I follow,a 28 yo guy said he is still afraid to tell people IRL that he enjoys Anime.

While,yes. There is that weird series. And will be,as some folks like that stuff.
But there are so much of great series and anime movies. It puts Hollywood to shame,man. Well,modern times Hollywood at least. To much crap is coming out from there lately.

Anyways. You can't like everything. We all have our preferences.
And some dare not take even a peek out of their box.
Is that good or not? Who is to tell?

Or just regard it as a low level entertainment,something only 6 yo kids would only enjoy?

I still get that a lot. Then I have to explain that there are anime that are really not for 6 years old.

Thinking about it, maybe I should tell people to watch Heavy Metal (not Japanese, really not for 6 years old...it's rated 18+).

Can't say that is the best series of the year as Joxer says it is.
I'm an idiot - forgot to comment on this.

There is another series that was my best in this year before I watched PP - it's King's Avatar and it's chinese show. Remember you can watch it for free and legal with eng subs at Tencent's youtube channel.
The only reason I put PP above it is because some scenes repeat in KA - and these are not "ingame" cutscenes but scenes from RL.

I'm still excited on King's Avatar OVA announced for May next year and also the second season that will come after it definitely. Here's a short preview for OVA:

Glorious K+M masterrace.

---
P.S. No, I don't know where to nick the full music score from it! Never heard it before and soundhound is clueless too.

King's Avatar...thanks for the reminder.

Four episodes in. Hope something will happen soon. :)
But,it is fine until now actually. Good build up I guess.
But I was wondering...where in the world is the girl who went into the office with our,main character? :)

And, I have to adjust myself for the language,man.
So,I am counting for a bit of as bumpy ride. But I shall arrive to the finish line in full Glory. Hehe!

Heavy Metal is not Japanese. And definitely not for 6 year olds. :)

And then tell them to watch Berserk (1997),afterwards. :cool:

Berserk! I also watched the new golden egg arc trilogy. Thought the art was very nice there.

Recently someone recommended 5 centimeters per second to me. As well as your name. Romantic dramas but I really liked the girl who leapt through time so I'll give it a shot.

Recently someone recommended 5 centimeters per second to me. As well as your name. Romantic dramas but I really liked the girl who leapt through time so I'll give it a shot.

Both great. Top tier production. Comes from the same creator/director.
After you watch them,and hopefully like them...then try Garden Of Words
And, The Shape Of Voice
And.The girl who leapt through time is very good.

Maybe try in this order...
1. 5 centimeters
2. Garden Of Words
3. Your Name
4. The Shape Of Voice

Hope you have fun!

It's chinese, it's titled Tian Xing Jiu Ge (Qin's Moon: 9 Songs of the Moving Heavens).
Did anyone watch this?

If this was a game I'd instabuy it based on this vid. Animated series… Not sure. Yet.

Just watched your name and 5cm per seconds.

First one was great, started as a 7 and ended as an 8. I can appreciate that they make a slow moving story work well. I think it's the art and music that really make it work. Not for everyone though

The latter one was okay, in the same vein as your name but it was harder to find a coherent story in it. I only realized in episode 3 that all episodes were connected ;)

Apparently I saw earlier work from the same director I think: voices from a distant star. Again it's all about love somehow and not always a happy ending (neither a sad one). Loved it for the art and music too, same level as your name

Edit: I have garden of word and shape of voice lined up next. Thanks for the suggestions. Will be a while before I can watch them as I'm abroad

Descended,and reached the last episode of a really special world of Made In Abyss.

Wonderful story about a journey into unknown. A journey of no return perhaps.

Needless to say that the art work and animations of this anime are near perfection,if not perfection itself,regarding the animation ofc.
Eye-candy does not even begin to define the the details and colors of the anime.

Sound and effects are very natural and realistic. Not like in Berserk (pan cling),hehe.
Real,rich and clear sounds,that don't hurt you ears.
VO are great! So,fitting and emotionally charged for every character.

Speaking of characters. Every single character you come across the series is unique,and not just to fill in some space. Not just by appearance,but as individual characters as well. Really meaningful characters that are alive and existing in the strange world of the Abyss.
Of course the first to come to mind is Ouzen. Close to some psychopathic behaviour.
Very strict,cold,overly curious,arrogant,but caring,just, and very honest.
One of her lines is, " I hate to deceive children."
The main characters are strong. And are here to represent and to show some flaws and overcoming them through struggles and hardships. And,struggles and hardships they find along the way.

The world of Abyss is rich and full of different forms of lifeforms. And filled with danger. The deeper we go,more the danger. And it does get more darker.
This anime reminded me of some other ones like Fullmetal Alchemist,Monster. And Tokyo Magnitude 8.0(which comes from the same studio).
Just because of that struggles and situations the main characters are,and have to make a decisions based on that.

The narration in the ep.9 describes the anime the best.
"In this world, there is nothing impartial as death. Death is sure to eventually come knocking. For all living creatures,death is an equalizer-it is an absolute truth,and it is always lingering right beside us. Of their wits and courage…nevertheless,people make the best use. Struggling…floundering,they cling to life until the very end.
You see, we actually like this unjust and unequal world…"
This is such a powerful line. Partially,it is because it is true for the real world we live in. Truer words can be rarely be herd. And an small anime brings some wisdom.

It is a shame you guys did not like the anime that much. Thus,not sharing my enthusiasm and thoughts.
But,I really enjoyed this series. I say it is the best of this year. although AOT is also very good.

There is going to be a second season,so I am very happy about that. :)
Second Season of 'Made in Abyss' Announced

Last edited:
Kings Avatar is also pretty good!

K+M masterpiece for real. :D

I did not watch any other Chinese animes.
But I did found Rakshasa Street on YT.
So,perhaps going to watch that one. :)

That video! That speed! Ahaha!
Yes that is what happens.
Joxer said it is a K+M masterpiece,and I just approved. :D

Visually pleasing anime. Story is nothing special. But there are fun characters in the series. It is about competitive gaming and rising to the top.
Give it a try if it interests you.

Back
Top Bottom