Copper Dreams - Hex-tiles, Stackable boxes and Gore

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Copper Dreams has a new Kickstarter update.

Hex-tiles, stackable boxes and gore explosions

Just a few micro-issues remaining. No, we're just finishing on some last AI functionality before sending it off to you to make sure the different challenge modes are adequate to test. Since the last update we had a slew of life and Copper Dreams upgrades, so we'll get into that in this update. First, for all of the alpha backers who received keys, that depot on Steam will update with the alpha so stay tuned for when that's live, we'll post another update when it is though. I think we talked to everyone who had problems with that, but if you are an alpha backer and didn't get the email let us know and we will sort that out for you! That will roll out on OSX, Windows and Linux.

If you hate videos here's a recap:

• Hannah and Joe sold a house and moved to get cash money for development and get back to Seattle, so there was a small delay.
  • Alpha is a solid vertical slice of systems in game, featuring a mid-level operative infiltrating a warehouse of insurgents as various enemy types. Also includes a custom enemy agent. Various challenge and game modes included to unlock with your feedback. Incentives!
  • Changed from square tiles to hexagons.
  • Our volumetric line-of sight system, which has unseen tiles that are painted black in-world, now includes sensory visuals like the sound you emit and enemy vision cones.
  • Line of sight system also now has custom lighting integrated into it — easier visual for what lights are influencing tiles and gives us complete control with what to do with it to influence tiles. Spotlights, flares, tiles on fire, or even the muzzle flash from firing a gun now have clear indication of what tiles they are lighting up.
  • Character direction ruleset info implemented for hexes, player can rotate without tick cost for turn. For example shields (or carrying dead bodies in front of you) block attacks from one direction.
  • Game feed replaced with more cryptic DM-descriptive health readouts for combatants. Detailed roll information replaced with on-hover details while targeting tiles/characters. Game feed was too heavy before with too much happening, as rolls for aiming were not immediately followed up with a resolution, so things would be out of order. It's also visually and descriptively obvious how a combatant is doing. Also their faces make increasingly ouchy expressions depending on how poorly they are doing.
  • Movable and stackable boxes for cover, climbing and puzzles. It's the best thing since sliced bread.
More information.

Three cheers for hexagons. Joe is right: Squares are kind of stupid.

Also, I like the noise radius. Not entirely sure about the bullet dodging, but it could work if it isn't overused. Not sure I saw enough in the video to form an opinion.

As always, The Cutest Couple in Game Development are charming. I wish them as much success as they would like to have.

Lady and Gentleman!

Your GUI needs more love. Grey B&W? You're kidding right? Your entire map graphics needs more contrast, richer blacks and deeper colors.
MAP LIGHTING: You should watch & observe gameplay videos of very successful games that have excellent lighting on their maps and reflect on what you need to fix for your game to say:
- "BUY ME!"

For me at least..

Well I already bought it.. through Kickstarter so I am getting whatever the product they end up with making. But I have enjoyed Underrail more than almost any other new game in last 10 years so if gameplay is good, graphics don't really matter as long as they are not a hindrance.

As always, The Cutest Couple in Game Development are charming.
I backed the project only because they're just too cute to refuse them. :)

J/K, I really liked the initial project on KS including info from updates about it's direction and future. Them two presenting it in some way opposite to stuff PR does made me more determined to open my wallet.

Mercy, man, I can understand you bit I don't care even if UI is invisible as long as I don't need mushrooms to use it. Besides if it's colors you want different... PC. Mods.

I wholeheartedly second what @mercy; detailed about the GUI -- improve it ! This UI looks horrid !

I almost half-regret backing this game, on the sole reason that these 2 really are a pair of self-obsessed urbanites dallying about with my dollars. I mean, really - do I have to listen to seven minutes of complete and utter shite about what they did with their garden, their sleeping habits, and how Seattle is a seller's market ?

I wholeheartedly second what @mercy; detailed about the GUI -- improve it ! This UI looks horrid !

I almost half-regret backing this game, on the sole reason that these 2 really are a pair of self-obsessed urbanites dallying about with my dollars. I mean, really - do I have to listen to seven minutes of complete and utter shite about what they did with their garden, their sleeping habits, and how Seattle is a seller's market ?

Heh, sometimes I wish I could down vote posts here. Not the GUI part; it could likely be improved, especially the font size.

So much depends upon how a person looks at things. Here''s how my eyes that like large fonts look at it:

I appreciated the brief personal chat in the video. I think it's nice, and likely somewhat wise, to know a little about the people you're fronting money to. Plus, they seem nice. :)

Sadly, being open and honest so rarely goes unpunished. If my $15 (or whatever number I pledged close to that) has in some way contributed to this pleasant couple carving out what I imagine to be a pleasant life, then it'it's the best $15 I have spent. Somehow, I doubt my pizza money stretched that far.

Oh, I almost forgot that looks like a pretty decent game I'll be getting for my $15. Did your $15 buy the right to tell them how to live? Their garden outside of Seattle hardly struck me the same way as that photo of Chris Roberts waterskiing in Fiji or whatever after his Star Citizen fundraising.

I find their home-baked artisinal game development vibe preferable to the PR drivel that accompanies most projects.

They are developing an innovative and smart game unlike the bulk of copy and paste indie games that are released everyday. Wish them the best and all success, and happy to have backed their projects so far.

Back
Top Bottom