Non-RPG General News - Old World available on Steam and GOG

Played this on Epic quite a bit over the last year or so. Any 4x fan should check it out. It is not perfect by any means - but it feels like they're trying some different things. It's a game that feels both familiar and fresh at the same time.

What does the term "4x" mean ? It's not monitor resolution, right ?

It's tempting, but I'll wait a few months, enough in the pipeline already. Curious to see the feedback if anyone else plays it. :)

Beware of GOG with new games, by the way. That's 2 updates they've skipped with Expeditions: Rome, now. I'm not buying there anymore unless it's an old game.

It's a genre of strategy game: Explore, Expand, Exploit, Exterminate (4X) :)

4X (abbreviation of Explore, Expand, Exploit, Exterminate) is a subgenre of strategy-based computer and board games, and include both turn-based and real-time strategy titles. The gameplay involves building an empire. Emphasis is placed upon economic and technological development, as well as a range of military and non-military routes to supremacy.

-> see Wikipedia

From the creator of Civ 4. I will have to check this out since Civ 4 is fantastic. Old World has gotten a bunch of good reviews since it was released on the Epic Store last summer. So many games to play.

Thanks. Is this like to the Wirtschaftssimulation in German gaming ? Is it comparable to the Anno series ? Ir more like Civ ?

Thanks. Is this like to the Wirtschaftssimulation in German gaming ? Is it comparable to the Anno series ? Ir more like Civ ?

Yeah, think Civ with a bit of Crusader Kings grand strategy overlaid, involving various personalities, relationships and lineages over time that affect various parts of the game.

Unfortunately that German Wisim Genre is dead like a doornail :(

Unfortunately that German Wisim Genre is dead like a doornail :(

Well, not really - There's tons of games which have the basics of the Anno series which initially was very much about building functioning economies using slowly improving 'technologies'.

Tropico 6
Nebuchadnezzar
Frostpunk
Winkeltje
Two Point Hospital
Startup Company
Software Inc
And many more different types of simulations/city builders…

Even Anno itself has Anno 1800 released only 3 years ago.

Well, not really - There's tons of games which have the basics of the Anno series which initially was very much about building functioning economies using slowly improving 'technologies'.

Tropico 6
Nebuchadnezzar
Frostpunk
Winkeltje
Two Point Hospital
Startup Company
Software Inc
And many more different types of simulations/city builders…

Even Anno itself has Anno 1800 released only 3 years ago.

I would not consider Anno as a typical German WiSim. Yes, it is from Germany, but its rather generous and more about the building part.

More typical WiSims are:
Der Planer
Kaiser
Hanse
Die Fugger
Vermeer
Biing
Transworld
Mad TV
Mad News
Capitalism

Maybe the closest to that is likely random Football managers.

WiSims, or economy sims are usually about management, about making good management decicions. Todays games are more about building and looking how nice something looks.

This also is reflected in the challenge. Most of these games aren't challenging. They can be complex, but they are usually easy up to the point where you can't lose, instead you just take longer. The exception ofc are survival sims like Rimworld or Frostpunk.

But its not like you are doing management decisions and if you make bad decisions, somebody buys your company and gets fired.

You could say that the "modern" management games aka "City Builders" are all inspired to some degree by the original Sim City.

But you can also see the same "movement" even within the same "type" of games. I think the last challenging railroad game was Sid Meiers Railroad Tycoon 2.
Will this isn't a typical economy sim, it's also one of the games where you could actually really lose. In todays games like Railway empire, you really really need to try hard to lose. Challenges only work with time limitations. And if they are gone, the whole game breaks as the mechanics aren't well worked out.

Cities Skylines and Trainfever are similar. They might be big and complex, but they have a completely differend design philosophy. Management decisions don't have top priority. It's about building and creativity instead.

I would not consider Anno as a typical German WiSim. Yes, it is from Germany, but its rather generous and more about the building part.

More typical WiSims are:

Der Planer

Kaiser

Hanse

Die Fugger

Vermeer

Biing

Transworld

Mad TV

Mad News

Capitalism

Maybe the closest to that is likely random Football managers.

WiSims, or economy sims are usually about management, about making good management decicions. Todays games are more about building and looking how nice something looks.

This also is reflected in the challenge. Most of these games aren't challenging. They can be complex, but they are usually easy up to the point where you can't lose, instead you just take longer. The exception ofc are survival sims like Rimworld or Frostpunk.

But its not like you are doing management decisions and if you make bad decisions, somebody buys your company and gets fired.

You could say that the "modern" management games aka "City Builders" are all inspired to some degree by the original Sim City.

But you can also see the same "movement" even within the same "type" of games. I think the last challenging railroad game was Sid Meiers Railroad Tycoon 2.

Will this isn't a typical economy sim, it's also one of the games where you could actually really lose. In todays games like Railway empire, you really really need to try hard to lose. Challenges only work with time limitations. And if they are gone, the whole game breaks as the mechanics aren't well worked out.

Cities Skylines and Trainfever are similar. They might be big and complex, but they have a completely differend design philosophy. Management decisions don't have top priority. It's about building and creativity instead.
Well, I'd still say there's tons of games like that too.
Port Royale 4 is the latest I know of but I'm sure there are others too, including the ones like software Inc I mentioned above.

Happy to have a look later today...

Back
Top Bottom