Arcania - Patch Performance Measurement

Gorath

Prime Evil
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
GameStar updated their Arcania Technik-Check with the results after yesterday's hotfix, while PC Games Hardware devoted a new article to a before & after comparison. Both conclude that the patch delivers a massive performance boost.
More information.

I'm wondering if there is a similar one for the 360. According to a youtube vid I watched, the average FPS was around 25 or so. Not too big a deal in an RPG, but if that could be bumped up by 30% or so (like on PC), perhaps they could afford to turn up some of the gfx a bit to make it more comparable.

No matter what, I've already preordered. :p I guess I'm just a sucker. I'll report on it after a few hours of play next Tuesday.

I'm wondering if there is a similar one for the 360. According to a youtube vid I watched, the average FPS was around 25 or so. Not too big a deal in an RPG, but if that could be bumped up by 30% or so (like on PC), perhaps they could afford to turn up some of the gfx a bit to make it more comparable.

No matter what, I've already preordered. :p I guess I'm just a sucker. I'll report on it after a few hours of play next Tuesday.

nah, you are not a sucker. I noticed Sunday night that GamersGate had it for sale, so after thinking to myself that I would boycott this game, I went ahead and downloaded it anyway! I'm from the US, and found out today that Gamersgate turned of access to NA, so I am one of very few people in North America to have the game now!!!

Overall, it's an ok game. The PC version is the way to go. I downloaded the patch and maxed out the settings and the graphics are quite nice. Its certainly not a Gothic game and its not a hard core rpg either, but for all its faults it is a fun game. I'm going to play Arcania non-stop and finish it before I get my hands on Fallout New Vegas next week.

I'm going to play Arcania non-stop and finish it before I get my hands on Fallout New Vegas next week.

Well if the reviews are accurate, you should be finished by this weekend. :-/

*Edit* Also, I wouldn't bet that only a "very few" people in NA have it now. I think you're underestimating the crowd that doesn't pay for their games. ;)

Last edited:
I've played the demo today. First of all I've got to say I was positively surprised how goodl it ran on my old X2 @2300 MHz. It was really playable without problems.

From the demo Arcania seems quite okay. It did nothing for me. Everything was way too simple and lacked edges. But from a technical standpoint it's a solid product which delivers what it promises. After 2.5 hours with the demo I can't see where the 40% scores are coming from. 70-75% seems about right to me. Average, unremarkable, but neither bad nor buggy.

Nevertheless I'm going to pass. I'm a core gamer. The casual Arcania is not for me.

Well if the reviews are accurate, you should be finished by this weekend. :-/

*Edit* Also, I wouldn't bet that only a "very few" people in NA have it now. I think you're underestimating the crowd that doesn't pay for their games. ;)

oh boy, I guess I made a pretty naive comment! I forgot about "that crowd"! Yeah, I'm pretty confident it will be done by Saturday afternoon ;)

Joking aside, and now that I have spent even more time playing, Arcania kind of grows on you. In hindsight I really think JoWood made a big mistake by pushing the NA release date to the 18th, putting it in direct competition with Fallout. The 12th was the perfect release date....

After 2.5 hours with the demo I can't see where the 40% scores are coming from. 70-75% seems about right to me. Average, unremarkable, but neither bad nor buggy.

Well, it IS said in most reviews, that the demo part only shows the beginning and after that, the game gets worse (e.g. more lifeless). Of course, this is hearsay.

Well, it IS said in most reviews, that the demo part only shows the beginning and after that, the game gets worse (e.g. more lifeless). Of course, this is hearsay.

well everyone will have their own opinion. The beginning is almost the same, except you are not picking up all those nice weapons and armor. But I say the game does pick up after that dungeon you go through in the demo. Like I commented before I was planning on passing on this game, but was able to get it from Gamersgate before they blocked NA access. I'm glad I picked it up when I did. Its a fun game, but dissapointing because I was expecting something else for the next "Gothic" game. Its the perfect game to hold me over for another week or two until Fallout gets in my hands!

Back
Top Bottom