Geneforge 4 - Released for Windows!

One thing to note about my weird preferences. Story matters very little to me. To me, story is just a background presence. I'm much more interested in free exploration, (level/stat/skill) building, and magic use than story. That said, the story is almost EXACTLY the same as it was in the previous games.

(Mild Spoilers Below)

The pc is still someone with shaper powers who has to choose whether to throw his lot in with the rebels or the shapers. The game always makes the most sense, and is the most rewarding storywise, if you choose to be a rebel. What Jeff does is tell the exact same story for half the game and then gives you a few sub-choices after about half way. One of the sub-choices is the same as in games 2 and 3, and the other sub-choice is slightly different, but totally predictable from the first few moments of playing 4. I'll just say that choice is going to involve the Drakons, as I haven't actually played 4 much yet.

Given my preferences, you might see why I don't want to pay to keep this type of game successful. It's not the $29 at all. As you say, it's chump change. I want more selection outside of story and dialogue and there isn't any. Can you think of anything different? We have 5 classes instead of 3, but all the skills are exactly the same as they've been since game 1. If I dropped any of the maps from game 4, into game 1, you wouldn't notice. That's my beef with the series.

I'm still glad that other's enjoy it though. Just because it doesn't satisfy my itch, doesn't mean it's a bad game. I should note that time is not my mitigating factor. I work at a job where I game almost all day most of the time :D, when there's something worth playing :(

Based on the preview materials and other people's accounts (with my luck my most expected title of 2007 came out during the 3 days I hadn't paid my internet account and was offline) G4 is not offering something never before seen in the series or elsewhere (though the resolution buff falls into this cathegory nicely, a great improvment, thanks for the info Dhruin) but because it feels different. Entirely different, beginning as a Rebel is a great new take on the series. So far in the first two sequels, G2 and G3, there's always been something new that makes it worth my while. I wish I could write more, but I just installed the demo, so I gotta go :)

Back
Top Bottom