Jedi Fallen Order - a "new hope" after Order 66

I rather belief that this belief is rather prejudice.

Great inventions cme at a point when everybody thought that "this is not posible".

It is possible ! It is just so that nobody is capable of thinking out of their borders.

If your post is true then it's also true that it's not possible. :biggrin:

Seriously though it won't happen because it's too big a risk. Anyone that spends enough to get the star wars license isn't going to want to take that risk.

If your post is true then it's also true that it's not possible. :biggrin:

Seriously though it won't happen because it's too big a risk. Anyone that spends enough to get the star wars license isn't going to want to take that risk.

I dont agree that its not possible. Of course, its not possible from corporate side of view. EA doesnt do adventure games and wants maximum profit. But if we put aside these things then its possible.

It depends on the idea. I can easily imagine game like Life is Strange. For example you could play some technician living under Imperial rule who is secretly preparing some sabotage while also hiding some rebel or rebels child and avoiding being compromised.

Of course there would be some shooting in cutscenes and some tense scenes when you are being held at gunpoint or arrested but you would need to use your wits to subdue enemies (without real action gameplay).

For example you could hide girl like this one…

GadsdonBeau_RogueOne_YoungJyn.jpg

… who became this woman…

jyn.jpg

I dont agree that its not possible. Of course, its not possible from corporate side of view. EA doesnt do adventure games and wants maximum profit. But if we put aside these things then its possible.

This is my point. I'm not saying you couldn't come up with an Idea for the game.

Just that no ones going to shell out for the license and then take a risk on a game like that.

Dunno how contract for licenses look like, but lets assume they have it for period of time and aside from constraints given by trademark, there are no limits. Why wouldnt they produce those "safe-profit-mainstream-AAA" games to make sure there is enough money and at the same time invest (marginal amounts in comparison) in non-mainstream production? It would make sense to do such thing all the time actually. It would help them constantly test the market, be inovative, create new trends, rather then just copy-paste succesfull patterns. And ensure company growth through in-house development and inovation rather then acquisitions. But corporates dont work like that. Their structure doesnt allow for such behaviour. That is why every corporate is dinosaur. You cant kill it, cant move it, but at the same time its inevitably destined to extinction at the end.

Finally got around to trying this last night. I've only played the first area so far, but I liked it a lot more than I was expecting. Great set pieces and a nice cinematic feel. It doesn't seem very deep, but it's good entertainment when you're in a Star Wars mood.

There's two things I dislike though. The first is the save system, and the second is the lack of any significant penalty for dying. You get killed and simply respawn a short distance away with full health? Lame.

Not sure about K+M vs gamepad for this. I played with K+M last night, but I'm going to replay the level with my DualShock 4 and see how it feels. I get the impression that combat might be a little smoother with a gamepad?

Finally got around to trying this last night. I've only played the first area so far, but I liked it a lot more than I was expecting. Great set pieces and a nice cinematic feel. It doesn't seem very deep, but it's good entertainment when you're in a Star Wars mood.

It is 'pretty OK' in terms of overall story / depth. Certainly not KotOR, but IMO it is the best Star Wars game since Jedi Academy. I'm not finished, hoping to get some time during the break.

There's two things I dislike though. The first is the save system, and the second is the lack of any significant penalty for dying. You get killed and simply respawn a short distance away with full health? Lame.

There is a two-tier death system: 'death by fail' and 'death my enemy'. Death by falling is as you note, and for someone who is mediocre at platforming I actually appreciate that. As for death by enemies, you do lose everything and gain it back by hitting the enemy that took you down. Not sure I care about/for that one, but it is what it is. Save system ... agree.

Not sure about K+M vs gamepad for this. I played with K+M last night, but I'm going to replay the level with my DualShock 4 and see how it feels. I get the impression that combat might be a little smoother with a gamepad?

I played a n hour or so with an XBONE controller I just picked up and it definitely seems like it is smoother since I was equally as good with the controller as K&M ... and I pretty much never play games with controller (again, just bought the controller).

I tried this with Origin Access and was hugely disappointed.

It's one of the most painfully derivative games in recent memory - and I hate how much of it is amateur-hour Tomb Raider and platform jumping.

What little progression is there falls flat and feels uninspired. Like a Jedi stuck at first level.

I was hoping for a heavily story/exploration oriented game - not a copy-cat platformer with super repetitive levels and weak-ass costume-based hidden items.

It feels like a bunch of suits got together in a room, talking about current popular genres - and then dictating design decisions to Respawn. Which is unfortunate, because Respawn is clearly a talented developer - and I would have liked to have seen what they came up with outside of this designed-by-committee crap.

Maybe the story is strong? I will never know.

I was hoping for a heavily story/exploration oriented game - not a copy-cat platformer with super repetitive levels and weak-ass costume-based hidden items.

How long did you play it for? Story and exploration is exactly what the game focuses on, although you're right about the itemization.

It's very much a classic metroidvania though in terms of level design, and if you're not into that kind of game then it's probably not for you.

How long did you play it for? Story and exploration is exactly what the game focuses on, although you're right about the itemization.

Hmm, around 10 hours or so.

I completed the first two planets for the most part (apart from a few areas that I couldn't explore) - and stopped once I got to the third one.

Exploration seemed to consist of finding shortcuts (which is fine) and visual customization equipment - which I find incredibly boring. There was a bit of story stuff - but not at all much, and not very interesting, either.

Also, I HATE jumping and platform puzzles. Not because they're hard - but because they're boring. I'm actually pretty good at them - I just hate them.

Not the fault of the game, I suppose - I just didn't expect that at all. I expected a "Souls" game with a story - and not a platform/jumpy puzzler.

It's for the same reason that I can't stand playing Uncharted. It's pretty much the same type of game - except Uncharted has more entertaining combat.

Same goes for Tomb Raider - but Tomb Raider had much better exploration and reward design.

It's very much a classic metroidvania though in terms of level design, and if you're not into that kind of game then it's probably not for you.

I love the Metroidvania level design approach if the levels are done well.

Here, I found the levels dull and the things to find through exploration highly unfulfilling.

It all comes down to how much you enjoy the progression and the things you can expect to find, I suppose.

I think I might have enjoyed it without the jumping and platforming shit.

That said, I don't think I would have enjoyed it MUCH - even in that case.

Again, the things you can find are boring - and the progression/powers are super underwhelming IMO.

Also, I HATE jumping and platform puzzles. Not because they're hard - but because they're boring. I'm actually pretty good at them - I just hate them.

Not the fault of the game, I suppose - I just didn't expect that at all. I expected a "Souls" game with a story - and not a platform/jumpy puzzler.

Yeah, I guessed that might be the issue. The platforming doesn't bother me, but I can understand how it would be a big downer to someone who doesn't like it.

I'm starved for a proper Star Wars game, which probably isn't helping.

But I'm glad this is working for so many people.

I too gave up on this title because of all the platforming.

I feel there was a bit of bait and switch here as I thought it was marketed as an action game. Maybe I just didn't pay enough attention though.

Fortunately I Played it as part of my EA subscription and didn't pay full price or anything.

I may return to it every now and then to see if I can work my way through it as the action parts are pretty fun. Just can't take large doses of the platforming.

I feel there was a bit of bait and switch here as I thought it was marketed as an action game. Maybe I just didn't pay enough attention though.

For me, the fact that it didn't turn out to be just an action game is a positive.

I too was a little confused by the marketing, though I don't know if that was more EA's fault or the fault of the various sites that previewed it. Some previews made it seem like it was going to be more Souls-like while others more accurately portrayed it as a metroidvania. Personally, I'm glad it turned out to be more of the latter.

It's a shame the itemization is so bad though, because the game would have been a lot better had they placed more things actually worth finding. That said, I agree with txa1265 that it's the best non-RPG Star Wars game since the Jedi Knight series.

Probably true, but that's not saying much :)

Seriously ... ‘best lightsaber action since 2003’ and ‘best Star Wars story since 2003 (or 5)’ are hardly glowing recommendations! :D

DEFINITELY need to use a controller on this one. Mouse/keyboard works at first but, as the force powers mount, it's just too much for your left hand to do. You might be able to manage something if you've got multiple extra buttons on your mouse but the game is really designed for consoles.

Save system isn't so good. Basically, it's a save point system just like the old console JRPGs. If you get killed by an enemy, you pop back to the last save point at full health and with all enemies re-spawned. If you just fall off something, you immediately re-spawn about where you fell off minus a few hit points but failing quite a few times can hurt after a while.

There's also something keeping me from playing right now: it's often really dark. I don't mean the mood is dark, I mean it's literally dark! If you go into an underground tomb or some such, this game rarely has convenient torches that have been burning for the past 500 years to light the way. It's moody and effective when I turn down the lights at night but it's game ending in the daytime! You can light the place up with your sabre but not very well.

One of the modern things it does NOT do is regenerate your health. Your little back-mounted droid has a number of health stims it can kick out for you but not a whole bunch of them. You can use them in battle but it takes a few seconds to do so and you can't defend yourself while you're injecting yourself.

Well that was convenient... EA has decided to make Steam achievements available in its games and they made it so you could do so after the fact. I still have this game installed. When I started it up, I got a 22 achievements!

Back
Top Bottom