Grimoire on GOG!!!!

I don't really have an opinion on Cleve as I've never paid much attention to him, but I tried Grimoire and didn't care for it.

It seems like it would have been a fantastic game if it had been released in the 90's. I suppose someone who's really craving a throwback experience would enjoy it, but there are too many quality games nowadays for me to play something that dated.

Its an intentionally retro game. If you love Wizardry 7 and wish there was more of it Grimoire is your game. In my opinion it fixes many of W7's short comings such as automapping and "Beautiful Mind" level of puzzle difficulty. Its not for everyone obviously and it isn't intended to be.

I only played Grimoire for about an hour around launch date and I don't remember what was annoying me so much that I decided not to play it.

I just remember you had to leave room to recruit overpowered NPC fairy and then it was hard to work out how to get fairy to join you? But it was something else that was annoying.

I do vaguely remember hearing Corwin was a beta tester, but I don't think I ever heard about the personal attacks? Can anyone be more specific? I'd be interested to hear the story.

I've actually been thinking about giving it another try since I've been playing the Japanese wizardry games now suddenly Grimoire is looking pretty good, from a distance.

Maybe a manual is all I needed? I don't remember!! I tend to move on pretty quick. Life's too short to remember. =)

Also, I have tried to read more RPGcodex, but it just never sticks. Anything from Codex it's safe to say I'm completely unaware of.

Last edited:
Well I know its cool to bash Grimoire I was there for all the development drama Cleve brought upon himself. But W7 was made in 1992 so yes it was obviously intentional. If RPG's in that era don't mean a thing to you Grimoire is probably a waste of time for you. There is a small group of people who love it.

But W7 was made in 1992 so yes it was obviously intentional.

The original release date for Grimoire was 1997. It's not retro, it's just late. Back in the day Cleve would brag about how many modern features the game had which had never been seen before and how it would blow everyone away.

Fallout was released in 1997. The 3dfx Voodoo 1 was out. I'm not sure what your point is the game is clearly modeled after Wizardry 7 with minor creature comfort advancements.

Fallout was released in 1997. The 3dfx Voodoo 1 was out. I'm not sure what your point is the game is clearly modeled after Wizardry 7 with minor creature comfort advancements.

Oh I agree, it's modeled after Wizardry 7. But when the game was supposed to be released, Wizardry 7 was a recent game. And Cleve didn't sell it as having minor creature comfort advancements. He sold it as a huge technological breakthrough that would have been the most advanced RPG on the market.

So the point is that it's not intentionally retro. It's a game designed in the 90s using the technology that was available in the 90s. It just wasn't released until now.

It's telling how even Grimoire's biggest fan on the watch refers to Cleve as a "moronic developer".

Hehe. Biggest fan alright. :tinfoil::petting:

I summed it up for a few mates a couple of years back like this: If you liked the gold box games, Wizardry series, and the early Might and magic entries, you'd likely get some joy out of Grimoire. And truly, the least you know or read about the person that made the game, the better off you'll be!

Back
Top Bottom