Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous - The Chosen Ones

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
A new update for Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous talks about the chosen ones. There are 13 days left in the Kickstarter.

The Chosen Ones

Owlcat GamesCreator
February 27, 2020
Golarion is home to many servants and acolytes of divine entities who wield god-given powers as a way to spread their deity's influence. Most famous are clerics, who gain access to their powers through prayer, obedience, and devotion to a deity. There are also inquisitors, who use the gifts bestowed upon them to enforce beliefs through guile, diplomacy, and strength, if needed. Now, thanks to you, our backers, we also have warpriests--divine warriors who champion their faith through violence. But all of these have something in common: they consciously choose to enter into the service of their deity and accept their divine power.

But there are those who don't have this luxury--instead, they are chosen by an unknown entity and granted mystic abilities. Such an occurrence almost always leaves the chosen individual with a serious disability, but in return, they gain access to powers far beyond the capabilities of an ordinary mortal.

Such people are called oracles. They are spontaneous divine casters, who can dish out spells without needing to memorize them in advance. While oracles don't boast a huge range of spells, they fully overcome this weakness with the sheer amount of magical power at their disposal, aiding their allies in combat with spells all day long.
Some oracles don't even know which entity granted them their power. Nor do they know what prompted this entity to bestow such a gift: maybe it was the soon-to-be-oracle's strength of personal conviction, their interesting philosophy, or their urge to change something in the world. No one knows, but in the end, the oracle's mind and soul are opened to a mystery. Through deepening their understanding of this mystery, the oracle gains access to revelations--powerful abilities that are closely connected to the source of the mystery.

Battle revelations turn an oracle into an avatar of war, allowing them to inspire allies with battle cries, turn their skin into living iron, or gain incredible skill with their chosen weapon. Ancestor revelations let an oracle call upon the wisdom of their forebears to achieve their goals, or even summon their wrath to destroy enemies. Other mysteries can grant power over primal elements, forces of nature, life and death. This means that oracles vary greatly from one to the next, ranging from druid-like nature mages to warriors of great skill.
But with each mystery comes a curse, which can make some oracles outcasts from society. It can be a physical, mental, or even supernatural disability: an oracle can be permanently crippled, bound to Hell, or able to foresee their inevitable doom with no means of preventing it. Despite this, oracles learn to embrace their curse and turn it into a strength in itself. The higher an oracle's level, the better they can use their curse to their advantage. Yes, you may be sickly and frail, but your experience with diseases makes your own magical diseases much more potent. Yes, your soul may be tainted with the evil of Hell, but that also means you can use it to gain the powers of devils.

Wield your divine powers in combat with honor and pride! To arms, crusaders!

Owlcats

More information.

The pledges really slowed down, without any spikes. Didn't expect that.

Well, I have joined kickstarter on this, and I know that I can't expect them to meet my particular interests but what they present as its selling points and the kickstarters stretch goals tend to be more about systems, and currently a "spanish localisation". I am less interested in even more systems and more interested in increasing the complexity of the narrative with feedback and branching. You know, options & immersion. At least they got to "blood & gore", that, that is nice and probably something their target audience would want.

Oh Oh I notice they have "Romance options with Queen Galfrey". I don't know who that is and the name sounds like it is inspired by "Dr Who", but that is kind of something I would want. It is locked off behind processes associated with social media. So something totally out side of my normal experience or control. Sigh.

Last edited:

Yeah, I suppose they reached maximum what Kickstarter can do these days for classic cRPG. They will be lucky if there is some significant spike just before the campaign end, which was usual thing in past.

I think they are rather failing to get some media coverage, suppose mainstream is not interested at all. Which I dont really consider a bad thing.

Well, the goal was very modest, so they clearly didnt make the campaign as a main source of funds for development. Hopefully the game will do fine after its released.
Thats probably much more important thing if we want to see more Pathfinder games from Owlcat in future.

It's normal.
Usually a couple days before deadline pledges go high up again.

I thought about increasing my pledge but would like to see what Stretch goals are available further down the line? I'm pretty sure they'll reach the next one without my help.

Increasing the pledge helps finding out.

Once done, it can be moved down, pledgers do it all the time.

Yeah, this is how Kickstarters go. There will be a big jump the last three days from people increasing their pledge and for people that waited. I think 2 million will be the final pledge and that's pretty good.

Would the game be turn-based and with a less "cartoony" art style, I'd be hyped.

I know that Kickstarter pledges follow a bathtub curve. But usually you have spikes in between on days when the campaign got some coverage. That isn't the case with this one (til now).

Oracles? I'm guessing NPC encounters? Or is that a PC option?

Would the game be turn-based and with a less "cartoony" art style, I'd be hyped.

I was concerned about the hand-painted art style with P:K as well, but it turned out not to be an issue. For me it just works. RTwP isn't a significant issue either because most of the party just runs on auto-pilot while in combat. Just the shear variety more than makes up for it, at least for a while. The random trash mob encounters do get a little old.

RTwP isn't a significant issue either because most of the party just runs on auto-pilot while in combat.
RTwP is never an issue, it's a pretty cool system, but I prefer turn-based.
I noticed I always forget to use potions, scrolls and other items with real-time combats. In a way, I enjoy more game contents with turn-based.

Oracles ? Reminds me a bit of Warlocks in DDO ...

Speak for yourself. The next stretch goal is so far the only I'd call interesting. :p

What does +2 romance options mean though ? Did it mention a baseline previously ?

4 romance options is already planned, so that stretch goal would make it 6, and the social media goal could bring it to 7.

I'm not THAT interested in romances, I'll still probably only see one or maybe two. I know others appreciate it though so not a bad stretch goal i assume, but nothing that makes me want to increase my pledge. I still might anyway because of how much fun I'm having with PF:KM though. Is an extra copy of the game available as an Add-on?

Last edited:
Pretty much a "meh" for me, but I know there are players who are drawn to fake plastic romance. :p

Back
Top Bottom