HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
Screen Critics don't trust Electronic Arts with Anthem:

Why I Don’t Trust EA With Anthem

Why I Don’t Trust EA With Anthem

Bioware’s upcoming Anthem looks set to be a great game, there’s no doubt. The studio can pull out the best of gaming when given the chance. Yet as EA seemingly butchers its 2017 library of AAA-games in the name of profit, I can’t help but not trust the company when it comes to their 2018 slate of games, leading me to worry that Anthem might not escape the same fate.

Let’s be honest, EA’s behavior this year hasn’t given me any cause for any optimism. Having looked at the state of the latest Need for Speed, a game that ejects car tune-ups in favor of Loot Box style card upgrades, it showcases a complete lack of respect for both the genre it represents as well as the audience who pay full price for laughable mechanics. EA has always had a negative reputation but they now seem quite content to relish in that, as long as the game generates big in microtransactions.
[...]
Thanks Farflame!

More information.

Suspicion is justified. But EA just got the most public negative attention about a video game that I perhaps have ever seen. Fortune, WSJ, Time, etc., all had articles about it. I know, because Disney and Star Wars. But EA might (maybe) behave themselves better after the smackdown they just got.

Wait and see.

EA has steadily slid downhill in the name of "innovation" since its inception. They have never changed their path or appologized for their rampage. At best they have changed their PR and marketing spin to make choices more palatable for media.
I have zero respect for them and zero hope that they will behave.

On the other hand.. we are talking about entertainment and while people will bitch about things, as long as they keep paying.... nobody at EA cares.

Gaming as an industry is on the brink of a huge change, and EA is one of the first big companies trying to cope with the upcoming turmoil.

Not with great success so far - but I guess their thinking does make some sense on the long term (maximize profit by turning games to a service).

I think their (and our) problem is very same at core, and fairly simple: a new generation of gamers are emerging. The new ones are accustomed to burst gaming, F2P, loot boxes, micro transactions, impulse buys -- while we, sane old farts, still value quality gaming, fair prices and long-lasting entertainment.

You don't need a Harvard degree to understand that business for the young gamers is much more lucrative, however, EA's client base is traditionally the older generation.

EA is trying to milk both parties at once, which is quite ridiculous.
So, until we die out, EA will remain a very confused company :)

Interesting that this is all on EA and not Bioware.

Maybe by now most people have acknowledged that Bioware is a label on a division and means nothing? It was a brand name kept alive for marketing purposes and worked fabulously for a while thanks to brand loyalty.

Maybe by now most people have acknowledged that Bioware is a label on a division and means nothing? It was a brand name kept alive for marketing purposes and worked fabulously for a while thanks to brand loyalty.

I don't think that's entirely fair, but it's certainly possible that people think that way.

Gaming as an industry is on the brink of a huge change, and EA is one of the first big companies trying to cope with the upcoming turmoil.

Not with great success so far - but I guess their thinking does make some sense on the long term (maximize profit by turning games to a service).

I think their (and our) problem is very same at core, and fairly simple: a new generation of gamers are emerging. The new ones are accustomed to burst gaming, F2P, loot boxes, micro transactions, impulse buys -- while we, sane old farts, still value quality gaming, fair prices and long-lasting entertainment.

You don't need a Harvard degree to understand that business for the young gamers is much more lucrative, however, EA's client base is traditionally the older generation.

EA is trying to milk both parties at once, which is quite ridiculous.
So, until we die out, EA will remain a very confused company :)

I think this is an astute observation. It may not be the only factor - but it is a significant one. Most of my 11 year daughter's friends all play crappy, mobile, F2P games and those kind of mechanics are indeed "normal" and "fun" to them.

Not my daughter though. She's learnt to appreciate good, quality games that take some effort and thought. But most parents my age aren't gamers and thus they have no idea what their kids are playing... just like bad TV and garbage music, these games are meant to turn kids into unthinking sheep, just waiting for their next loot-box fix.

I'm ready to let the corporations destroy what's left of AAA gaming and leave the crowd-funding audience large and hungry for actual design evolution :)

The sooner we eliminate the suits from the art - the better.

On the other hand.. we are talking about entertainment and while people will bitch about things, as long as they keep paying…. nobody at EA cares.
Yes, but they don't. Or less, at least. SW: BF 2's sales are about 50% less than those of the predecessor - according to UK sales charts.
Which do not include digital numbers, sure, but I doubt it looks much different there.

The sub-1 user score on Metacritic for SWBF2 would seem to indicate a certain level of distaste for their practices :)

I have long given up on AAA, so I don't really care if they die or not.
As long as I can get incredigood one-man shows like Dungeons of Chaos, Tales of Maj'Eyal, Stellar Tactics, Underrail and similar I think I will be fine.

The corporate office makes the rules. Follow the rules or they will replace you with someone who will follow the rules. This is also why they (bioware) are stuck using an FPS engine.

Interesting that this is all on EA and not Bioware.

Last edited:
They don't care if you like the game (or at least like from a review perspective) as long as you pay the $$$. The problem is people never learn and come back for more punishment.

The sub-1 user score on Metacritic for SWBF2 would seem to indicate a certain level of distaste for their practices :)

I have long given up on AAA, so I don't really care if they die or not.
As long as I can get incredigood one-man shows like Dungeons of Chaos, Tales of Maj'Eyal, Stellar Tactics, Underrail and similar I think I will be fine.

EA is a cancer in the games industry with it's business practices. Unfortunately, there are many pretenders to it's throne, so even if it went the way of the dodo, someone or something would be quick to carry on it's legacy of shit. AAA means nothing good these days for games, invest in this at your peril. I'm with you mate for the foreseeable future.

The corporate office makes the rules. Follow the rules or they will replace you with someone who will follow the rules. This is also why they (bioware) is stuck using an FPS engine.

Ahh, that old myth where Bioware was brainwashed by EA - despite their obvious change in direction long before the take-over and how the good doctors actively pursued such a deal.

In any case, EA are a bunch of suits and market analysts - they don't know shit about gaming and don't have a prayer of making money without developers with actual talent.

Now, Bioware is obviously subject to the company line - but that doesn't mean they're excused in terms of execution and game development.

EA got rid of the Plants vs Zombies guy when he wouldn't make his game pay to win and look what happened to the sequel. I don't expect a change in direction. In fact EA has been quoted as saying they want to change older games in this direction. They probably meen their FPS titles but who knows with these chaps.

I don't trust them with this game. I went from somewhat interested to not interested. This game is heaven for microtransactions in the worst possible way. After seeing how they implemented lootboxes in SW2 I just can't see them not doing something similiar in this game as well.

EA got rid of the Plants vs Zombies guy when he wouldn't make his game pay to win and look what happened to the sequel. I don't expect a change in direction. In fact EA has been quoted as saying they want to change older games in this direction. They probably meen their FPS titles but who knows with these chaps.

This is not true. Not completely.

George Fan was against scams, sure, but he was fired not because of his attitude - Popcap management simply decided for whatever reason to close some studios and kick out 50 people and he was part of a certain closed studio of theirs.

Sure, if this didn't happen as "normal" company operation, Fan would most probably leave scamware making company on his own.

But there was no EA inhouse inquisition or whichunt back then. I'm not saying such institution doesn't exist in EA today, in fact I'm inclined to believe there is.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom